So i'm looking to get a usb/firewire mixer. My gear so far is a macbook pro running pro tools le (mbox2)
I'm just looking to get hold of something that I can record 8 tracks at once into pro tools.
No fixed budget, as I want to get hold of something thats reliable and works decently, but i am a student.
Cheers
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

That's way too vague man, needs more details. The more details the better I can help you out.
Any specific reason why it needs to be a mixer?

If you want to stay with Pro Tools LE you need any 003 rack or the 003 console (not a mixer i know but i doubt you really need it to be a mixer).
If not then what DAW are you gonna use? Do you need preamps in it or no?
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Look into the Mackie Onyx mixers. They send out the audio right after the preamps and keep each input on it's own track after going down the firewire which is very important.

The USB mixers mostly tend to mix everything down and only send out a stereo mix to the computer which is very limiting.
Quote by moody07747
Look into the Mackie Onyx mixers. They send out the audio right after the preamps and keep each input on it's own track after going down the firewire which is very important.

The USB mixers mostly tend to mix everything down and only send out a stereo mix to the computer which is very limiting.

This is solid advice about the usb vs firewire mixer issue

HOWEVER this is a NO-GO, OP said he wants 8 tracks into PRO TOOLS (LE in his case) therefore the Mackie Onyx are a no-go. Unless he gets Pro Tools M-Powered. 2 different things here. Like I said, if OP wants to stay Pro Tools LE a 003 rack/ console is the only way to go for 8 inputs. If not then moody's advice is solid for a DAW with no specific interface requirement.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Quote by miguelito2729
This is solid advice about the usb vs firewire mixer issue

HOWEVER this is a NO-GO, OP said he wants 8 tracks into PRO TOOLS (LE in his case) therefore the Mackie Onyx are a no-go. Unless he gets Pro Tools M-Powered. 2 different things here. Like I said, if OP wants to stay Pro Tools LE a 003 rack/ console is the only way to go for 8 inputs. If not then moody's advice is solid for a DAW with no specific interface requirement.

Sorry I overlooked the Pro Tools part.

Yea I would also say go with an 003 rack or console type unit.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=240638&base_pid=240636

The rack units are smaller and less in price and I THINK you can chain them to use more than one at a time for more inputs as both that type interface and the control console style ones only have 4 preamp XLR inputs on board.

Now if ya were not limited to using ProTools you could easily spend less and get more inputs with products such as the PreSonus Firestudio Project interfaces. One of those will easily give ya 8 inputs and you can chain up to 3 at a time.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 6, 2010,
Sorry to thread jack but I really get confused in the Pro Tools Compatibility/Comparability debate.

What is the big difference between LE,HD,and M-Powered? I know M-powered requires an M-box of some sort, and that is really all I can comprehend.
Quote by moody07747

Yeah, there's a cheap Tascam one I've seen that doesn't do that, but in case of mixers, yeah it's usually just two stereo channels. If you get an interface like a Tascam US-1641, you'll be able to record (I think) every live input onto separate tracks. Not sure if it's compatible with Pro Tools though. IMO, unless you can afford all of Pro Tools' bloated, expensive peripherals and plugins, you should drop it and get Reaper instead. 3rd party support is always a good thing.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Funk Monk
Sorry to thread jack but I really get confused in the Pro Tools Compatibility/Comparability debate.

What is the big difference between LE,HD,and M-Powered? I know M-powered requires an M-box of some sort, and that is really all I can comprehend.

M-Audio products work with ProTools M-Powered
Digidesign products work with ProTools LE
and HD....well, that's for those high end high priced rack mount Digi I/O interfaces.

The lower end versions are a little limited as they cut you off at amounts of tracks you can use but HD is fully unlimited. Search google and the ProTools website for more info on the comparison of these versions.