Just out of curiosity, which guitars do you think have the best and worst Money to Quality ratio?
Are there any fantastic guitars out there for loose change? What is the most expensive piece of shit?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I think LTD's, and Epiphones will give you more bang for your buck. LTD obviously if you're a more heavy player, and Epiphones if you're a softer or more classic kinda player.
i Believe the term your looking for is value :P Ltds over the number 200 tend to be quite good and mid range ibanezs play well for the money but genrally nee pickup changes
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Most bang for buck? The PRS SE series is a great line of guitars and has variety to suit all needs. Ibanez do some awesome guitars at any price range, as do Fender.

Depends upon your price range.

EDIT: Yamaha Pacificas are all the rage for "cheap". Don't think for a second you'll get anything better for less.
Last edited by ArpeggiateTHIS at Aug 5, 2010,
Every guitar - five finger discount! hah!

my vote would have to go to used ibanez prestiges.
Best quality for the price is the Fender Custom Shop. For £1800 they'll make you any guitar you want and you can even specify which of their master builders you want to work on it.

Worst quality for the price has to be Schecter or the lower-level LTDs. You can pay £500 right now for a guitar from either brand made of terrible quality, multi-ply basswood with awful hardware and electronics while even Squier and Epiphone manage to put out better guitars using better parts for less. The better LTDs are still good if you can get a good deal on 'em, but otherwise they and Schecter have priced themselves out the market and far above what their quality (or rather, lack of) should dictate.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Best quality for the price is the Fender Custom Shop. For £1800 they'll make you any guitar you want and you can even specify which of their master builders you want to work on it.

Worst quality for the price has to be Schecter or the lower-level LTDs. You can pay £500 right now for a guitar from either brand made of terrible quality, multi-ply basswood with awful hardware and electronics while even Squier and Epiphone manage to put out better guitars using better parts for less. The better LTDs are still good if you can get a good deal on 'em, but otherwise they and Schecter have priced themselves out the market and far above what their quality (or rather, lack of) should dictate.

+1 on the FCS.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
the worst value I think would be low end Jacksons, running between $300-$400, equally as terrible as low end BC Richs (which are only a $200 mistake)

best value for the money, I would say the low end $300-$350 range Ibanez classicals
80's Charvels on Ebay. You can snag those things for 300 bucks and less all day long. They play amazing too.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Most bang for buck? The PRS SE series is a great line of guitars and has variety to suit all needs. QUOTE]

+1, PRS SE's play almost as well as the american made ones for a fraction of the price.

Gretsch Electromatics are fantastic for the money too.

Little known company that puts out excellent guitars for very reasonable prices is Sparrow.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
What you ask is imposable to gauge in a poll. The word quality is a buzz word on the internut and people tend to confuse like and dislike with quality and they are not related.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Godin guitars are very well built and I've only tried one that wasn't acoustically resonant. Necks aren't everyone's taste but that shouldn't come into question if you are trying to talk objectively about quality. They are also relatively cheap to purchase in comparison to other guitars.

Mexican fenders, Schecters, Epiphone, all of those sort of brands -can- be very good on money to quality ratio. Every once in a while you can find one of those guitars that in build quality and acoustic tonality destroys more expensive guitars, but to get to that you have to search through alot of each of those brands.

On a personal note, I would have no problem dropping 4000 dollars on something like a Sadowsky, or a similarly high end archtop hollowbody guitar, because the build quality is near perfect and I would argue worth every cent. This is, of course from hanging around horn and woodwind players who have top level instruments in the 20,000-40,000 dollar range. Above that you get into more questionable territory.. guitars like the Benedetto guitars are among the most sublime guitars I've had a chance to play, but at that point the improvement becomes tiny for increasingly expensive improvements.
Quote by ArpeggiateTHIS
Most bang for buck? The PRS SE series is a great line of guitars and has variety to suit all needs.

i bought the SE Custom 25th anniversary 24 model yesterday and i am absolutely amazed with the playablity and tonal range. it's better straight out of the box than most of the guitars i have played/bought over the years.

cracking axe, especially for the price.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Darkflame
worst price/quality I really want to say cheap Dean or cheap BC Rich

best, I'd probably say G&L, Musicman or Gretsch (the electromatic series are great guitars)

I have to agree, the electromatics are outstanding quality for the price - it goes to show that sometimes there is a huge advantage to manufacturing in china.. Gretsch really do make the most of the low cost labour in china - they are some of the best guitars china exports, and they don't cost a fortune either.

Fernandes are very good quality for the money too - Not my sort of guitars as they are very modern styled, but like the gretsch electromatics, they are made in china, cost about the same amount, and are just about as good quality. But why do they hardly ever get mentioned on UG? Come to think if it i don't think i've noticed a single mention of Fernandes in all of the 4 years that i've been using UG

In terms of bad quality for the money.. Can't say i've had enough experience with any of the repeat offenders.. i guess i can just spot an overpriced guitar a mile off without even having to consciously recognise it?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Michael Kelly guitars are great bang for your buck. Have played a few and they were all fantastic.
Quote by ArpeggiateTHIS

EDIT: Yamaha Pacificas are all the rage for "cheap". Don't think for a second you'll get anything better for less.

This.
Yamaha makes some really well built guitars.
They are quite under-rated as they are known nowadays mostly for making crappy starter packs.
Their RGX models were really well built, were built like a tank, and really suited heavier styles. They screamed 80's metal!
Their lespaul type guitars (most of em hollowbody?) were beautiful too. Quite rare nowadays, methinks.

I guess your best bet for price:quality would be to go used, as many have said before on this forum. Other than used, some lesser known brands have pretty good construction and quality for their price.
I think Schecters are great for the price. They hardly have any guitars over the $1000 mark (other than the Synyster Custom), and every guitar ive played by them has had a great feel to it. So far I have a Schecter Omen Extreme 7 which I got for $420 that plays better than some $800 guitars ive played. I have a Schecter C-1 Plus as well, which is a $600 guitar that is just amazing for the price. Set neck, coil splits, and great pickups. Imo, you cant beat Schecter as far as value goes.
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
On the value side I think it depends on what you value and what you are willing to invest:

$100 or less: GuitarFetish.com stratocaster kits

$200 or less: Used Yamaha Pacifica

$300 or less: Used Charvel single humbucker with a Floyd Rose

$400 or less: New Epiphone Dot

$500 or less: New MIM Fender Telecaster

$619 or less: New PRS SE singlecut

$700 or less: Gibson SG Special Faded

$800 or less: Fender American Special Series Stratocaster HSS

$900 or less: ESP MH1000

$1000 or less: American Fender Strat

I could keep going...

Regarding worst values...

I think there are some cheap crappy guitars but a value is in the owners eyes. Unless you are buying collectable classic guitars, it is hard to put a broad value on any guitar.

If you read enough threads here a lot of people bash Gibson, but I personally have no problem seeing the $2000-$3000 value in a Gibson. I am even trying to rationalize the cost of a Les Paul Custom, but value is in the owners eyes and opinion.

That being said, there are some guitars that I am just not a fan of and therefore they have 0 value to me, regardless of the cost.
worst? well no order here but bc rich, dean, some washburns, FENDERS (especially USA...not that tehy are bad, but i believe you can get better more unique products for the money), GIBSON (do not like studio line), high end epiphones (love my custom but i wouldnt pay retail for it. ill take my 500-800 elsewhere)

best? MIM or MIJ fenders, epiphones, PRS SE line, G&L guitars (all of them), a good portion of the ibanez lines, MOST CUSTOM MAKERS (for the same price produce a 100% custom personalized instrument opposed to a 3000 gibson that really isnt all that different than teh regualr model) gretsch (get a nice hollowbody in the 500-700 range, and electromatic line are nice)

oh yeah CARVIN!
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I think this is the only thing I have ever disagreed with from you. I have an 09' China made Schecter Damien special FR that is made astonishingly well for the price. It has a solid one piece African mahogany back and a two piece solid 1/2 inch thick maple top split down the middle making a left and right piece. The electronics are Full size Alpha pots, Sprauge orange drop cap, Switchcraft Gibson style toggle and Switchcraft 1/4 jack. The guitar came perfectly setup great fret job 5 ply binding and a high quality Steal not pot metal LFR that holds perfect tune even after a good 9 months old and the body craftsmanship and finish is immaculate. I got mine for $265 out the door on closeout.

I know where you got that from..It was posted in another thread by someone else IIRC...

dont you just hate posted like "mmmmm my schecter is better than an american deluxe...mmm its better than guitars that cost double....mmm"

But from what I have read the new China factory is devoted to building there guitars to the quality standards of Schecters American custom shop at a fraction of the price

labour costs...why is Chinese labour so cheap?because they're some kind of guitar midgets who have devoted their life into making guitars for free? NO because they dont pay as much attention as experienced people in custom shops do,because they dont spend even an hour making the neck and simply because the standards arent on par with guitars that are made by experienced people...I'm sorry but I had enough of this "OHHH I have an agile they are better than PRS private stock" agiles are good guitars but..seriously stop it...
I'd say the worst money-to-quality brand would be Epiphone(shoot me, I know, but where I live at least you can get a MIM Fender, '79 Dean or Gibson Special-quality knockoff for about the same price, if not less, all of whom are vastly superior IMO), but the best I don't know. My Vintage SG is the best-sounding guitar I've ever played, it feels great to me and I got it for $480 new, but the bridge isn't being very Tune-O-Matic(I have to tune it every day or two, whereas my ToM-equipped Dean MLX needed tuning every week, maybe longer), and I don't really like Wilkinson Deluxe tuners(they feel cheap. Work fine, but...eh. =/), so...Iunno for best value. D=
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Hey I never said anything is better than another I just said that the quality is great for the money. I do have a lot of respect for the Chinese culture though and I am Hungarian and Cherokee born in America. The Americans have a lot to learn from them when it comes to production of products. They had mass producing factory's thousands of years before we had anything. Plus they build all the stuff for there billions of people and the rest of the world. If a company over there builds something crappy it is because the Americans give them crap to work with plain and simple. The thing about the Chines culture is they have always took great pride in anything they do I can not say so much for realy any other Culture except for the Japanese. I cant say that anything from America is anything worth praising yeah it is OK but definitely not worth saying it is the best or better than another country. I have met many moronic people working in great American factory's. From what I have learned is American company's are lazy and like to use everyone to there advantage and inflate the prices on the few things they can produce.

that though,I do partially agree with you,japanese people are much much more dedicated to what they do than americans...same goes to some european countries..but there are also people in USA that do dedicate themselves to what they do...but most people dont..
Quote by archenemyfan
labour costs...why is Chinese labour so cheap?because they're some kind of guitar midgets who have devoted their life into making guitars for free? NO because they dont pay as much attention as experienced people in custom shops do,because they dont spend even an hour making the neck and simply because the standards arent on par with guitars that are made by experienced people...I'm sorry but I had enough of this "OHHH I have an agile they are better than PRS private stock" agiles are good guitars but..seriously stop it...

Completely wrong.

Chinese labour is cheap because China is severely overpopulated, and when there's always thousands of other people who are willing to do the same job for the smallest amount of money in order to actually have some money they can live on, you can't afford to go crying to a workers union if you think your wages are too low.

It's not because chinese people are inferior workers like you seem to be suggesting...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
Completely wrong.

Chinese labour is cheap because China is severely overpopulated, and when there's always thousands of other people who are willing to do the same job for the smallest amount of money in order to actually have some money they can live on, you can't afford to go crying to a workers union if you think your wages are too low.

It's not because chinese people are inferior workers like you seem to be suggesting...

I never said that chinese people are inferior workers..I just said that they dont pay as much attention as people in custom shops do

yeah I totally forgot about the job crisis....but atleast I accepted that I did and didnt post "ah yes I knew that smartass" I stand corrected...

although I still think there is some truth to what I said
Last edited by archenemyfan at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by itchy guitar
80's Charvels on Ebay. You can snag those things for 300 bucks and less all day long. They play amazing too.
I read this over an hour ago and have been scouring eBay since for a cheap, lesser-known guitar to grab and upgrade a little.

Damn you for attacking my wallet in such a way!
404: Sig not found.
Just don't buy milk from China (Melamine) or put anything they've painted in your mouth (lead). As a more or less communist dictatorship, China's labour laws and practises are almost non-existent compared to many other countries. Companies do mostly want they want until something goes wrong & only then do things get looked at. Of course by that time someone's head will have to roll as punishment for whatever incident occurred.
Moving on.....
Quote by archenemyfan
I never said that chinese people are inferior workers..I just said that they dont pay as much attention as people in custom shops do

yep thats true...but there is also some truth to what I said..

It's nothing to do with how much attention they pay. How do you know they don't pay attention to what they are doing? Although i get what you're saying if you're talking about rapid, mass production, but you can't really generalise like that, because there's always exceptions - especially in a country as highly populated as china

Chinese guitars are as good as the company that will be distributing them wants them to be. They intentionally make the chinese factories build the crap guitars

is there any guitar better than the Schecter Damien Elite for the price
specifications

# Construction: Double-cutaway
# Back: Mahogany
# Top: Quilted maple
# Neck: Bolt-on maple neck
# Scale: 25-1/2"
# Fingerboard: Rosewood
# Frets: 24 extra-jumbo
# Nut: GraphTech Tusq
# Inlays: Stained cross
# Bridge pickup: Active EMG-81 humbucker
# Neck Pickup: Active EMG-85 humbucker
# Electronics: Vol /Tone/3-way switch
# Bridge: Floyd Rose Special tremolo
# Tuners: Grover
# Hardware: Black chrome
$549.00..i really do believe this is the best guitar at that price
without fr its $500
To the couple of Schecter supporters: good for you, you're in America where Schecters are dirt-cheap. For every other country in the world, even some of the mid-range Schecters cost as much as a MIA/MIJ Fender, lower-end Gibson or Charvel. Schecter's top models cost as much as an ESP Standard series guitar, in some areas.

So good for you, Schecter is decent value where you live. For most of the people in the world, Schecter are an almost hilarious rip-off.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Best: An Ibanez S 570 or Cort (Evl, KX, X, series)

Worst: Overpriced Vintage/classic guitars....(much prefer superstrats,/V's etc...)
Rule of life number 473......A cheap ass production line guitar will never compare with any true custom shop guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.