if you have guitars of both scale lengths, do you use different string gauges (presuming they're both tuned to the same pitch)?
Depends on what you want. Longer scale lengths will have to have the strings tighter to achieve the same pitch. You can compensate by using lighter strings.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The difference to me is about a half a gauge, so it's always going to feel different with my different scale guitars. There are a few things you can do to change how the gauge feels like topwrapping on a tune-o-matic style bridge or using different types of string. There's no real answer to the question, though I suspect most people will use one gauge lower on the shorter scale so that they feel as similar as possible.
i use different gauges
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Colin got it.

12s on my Strat feel like 11s on my SG.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I use 10s on both, though down-tuning doesn't work as great with an LP with that gauge.

Quote by Roc8995
The difference to me is about a half a gauge, so it's always going to feel different with my different scale guitars. There are a few things you can do to change how the gauge feels like topwrapping on a tune-o-matic style bridge or using different types of string. There's no real answer to the question, though I suspect most people will use one gauge lower on the shorter scale so that they feel as similar as possible.

Certainly you mean one gauge lower on the longer scale?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Roc8995
The difference to me is about a half a gauge, so it's always going to feel different with my different scale guitars.

same here. which is annoying, as that's a lot harder to change. tuning down a semitone, for example, feels pretty much like a whole gauge, so that's a lot easier to fix.

i think DR offers half sets, though, if i remember correctly. might be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you're in the middle of the pack running 9s 10s or 11s. It shouldn't be an issue. If you're already running 12s on the short length I'd go down for the 25.5. Keeping a 25.5 in 12s or 13s all the time is usually a bad idea.

well i mean i use 9s on 25.5" generally and I notice the difference. 9s are very slack on 24.75", but 10s are still a bit too tight.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well i mean i use 9s on 25.5" generally and I notice the difference. 9s are very slack on 24.75", but 10s are still a bit too tight.

irish men are sissies.
oh no he dinnit
oh yes he did

yeah that's true.

i mean if i wanted a work-out i'd go to a gym. I want to play the guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i go one down. so for a strat i would go like 9 heavy bottoms. i rock 10 heavy bottoms on my 24.75
I use 11's on all my guitars. But they're all 25.5", I don't have any 24.75" scale guitars anymore
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby