Baffling plot devices (that would make the entire story collapse in their absence)

Page 1 of 2
So in some stories for films, games, books, etc. there always seems to be one completely illogical detail or event that, as stupid as it is, would cut the story short or destroy it completely.

For example, in a sci-fi/horror films, usually there is a monster or group of monsters causing trouble, a crack team of soldiers who are trained for exactly this sort of thing are sent in to destroy them, only to be made into mincemeat, then a reluctant, unassuming hero stumbles upon this shitstorm, and takes them out as if he was just getting a pint of milk.

What other rediculous scenarios can you think of?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
GoW series.

Everyone sucked @ killing the horde especially the asian guy, but then the brown haired white dude, and the spanish guy with the black man, and the blond white guy helped improve the war conditions by fighting the exact same way as every other soldier and locust on the planet of Sera.

Its a fun game though. :p
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
In a world of extremely intelligent people one decides to create a wonderful thread.

/sarcasm
I havn't changed this thing in a year.

I LOVE GIANT YELLOW TEXT!
Anything written by Terry Goodkind.

Then again, even with those plot devices his stories still collapse.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Dead Space. 1 single Necromorph (the monsters in the game) gets onto an ENTIRE WARSHIP filled with marines who are trained to kill anything and everything. This single monster kills everyone on the ship and creates more of the zombies... but this whole time, Isaac Clarke (the main character, who is an engineer) has been killing hundreds of these things without all that much trouble.
The title sounds like a cracked article.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
In the end, we find out it was all just a dream. I'm looking at you Click.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Dead Space. 1 single Necromorph (the monsters in the game) gets onto an ENTIRE WARSHIP filled with marines who are trained to kill anything and everything. This single monster kills everyone on the ship and creates more of the zombies... but this whole time, Isaac Clarke (the main character, who is an engineer) has been killing hundreds of these things without all that much trouble.

To be fair the artifact drove the whole crew insane which left them unable to really defend themselves well.
There was also a whole religion that worshipped the necromorphs and welcomed becoming them (if I remember right, it's been a while since playing it) aboard the ship so they obviously wouldn't put up any fight.
However, Dead Space is one of the few times where this kind of plot is justified, as Nelsean pointed out, GoW abuses this pretty badly. They have no more training nor skill than any other soldier but they manage to kick all the locusts' asses, presumably because they don't wear helmets.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Last edited by Lots O' FX at Aug 5, 2010,
A man is floating in outer space and has some kind of sperm thing float out of his mouth and it falls into some water. Then you see the moon, and there's a disfigured man pulling levers in it. Flash forward and he goes to his girlfriends house and finds out shes pregnant, then there's bloody dancing chickens, and a mom who is trying to make out with the man. Then you flash forward again and theres some mutant cow baby thing crying. The mom wants nothing to do with it and leaves. Then you see the man look into the radiator and sees a disfigured woman on stage dancing on worms. Then he has sex with the hot neighbor and the cow baby laughs at him, so he visits the woman in the radiator again. And shes dancing again, and now HE is on stage. Then his head falls off, and the baby cow is protruding from his neck! And then his head is taken to a pencil factory and turned into erasers. Then the eraser dust is blown into outer space. Then he kills the baby and its head gets super big and knocks into an electric outlet, and the moon in the beginning blows up, the disfigured man pulling levers burns, and you see the main character hugging the bitch in the radiator.

The end.

Man, that movie kicks ass.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Lots O' FX
To be fair the artifact drove the whole crew insane which left them unable to really defend themselves well.
There was also a whole religion that worshipped the necromorphs and welcomed becoming them (if I remember right, it's been a while since playing it) aboard the ship so they obviously wouldn't put up any fight.

what? not the USG Ishimura. I'm talking about the USM Valor. The one that crashes into the Ishimura halfway through the game.
Quote by Gyroscope

I came into this thread just to say this.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
A man is floating in outer space and has some kind of sperm thing float out of his mouth and it falls into some water. Then you see the moon, and there's a disfigured man pulling levers in it. Flash forward and he goes to his girlfriends house and finds out shes pregnant, then there's bloody dancing chickens, and a mom who is trying to make out with the man. Then you flash forward again and theres some mutant cow baby thing crying. The mom wants nothing to do with it and leaves. Then you see the man look into the radiator and sees a disfigured woman on stage dancing on worms. Then he has sex with the hot neighbor and the cow baby laughs at him, so he visits the woman in the radiator again. And shes dancing again, and now HE is on stage. Then his head falls off, and the baby cow is protruding from his neck! And then his head is taken to a pencil factory and turned into erasers. Then the eraser dust is blown into outer space. Then he kills the baby and its head gets super big and knocks into an electric outlet, and the moon in the beginning blows up, the disfigured man pulling levers burns, and you see the main character hugging the bitch in the radiator.

The end.

I ****ing LOVE Eraserhead.

Quote by Gyroscope

Yeah, sorry if thats a problem, i tried not to rip them off too much.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Aug 5, 2010,
Quote by donender
I ****ing LOVE Eraserhead.

My only problem with the movie is that I hear people talk about it when they've never actually seen it, and when they want to watch it and know I have it, they insist on watching it with me. And when we watch it, they ask me a million questions. Same thing with Jodorowsky movies.

Don't even get me started on the plot of Fando Y Lis. I still have no idea what the hell is going on in THAT movie.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
what? not the USG Ishimura. I'm talking about the USM Valor. The one that crashes into the Ishimura halfway through the game.

Oh, yeah it's been a while since playing as I said.
But still they don't know to dismember them, they would just shoot them either in the body or head, or, knowing space marines, just in the necromorphs general direction until they run out of ammo/are torn apart.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
All zombie films.

Zombie apocalypse would never happen because no matter how people try to argue otherwise, zombies are just shit. It would be over before it even began.

Man1:"Zombies outside.."
Man 2:"Lock the door, then."

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Nelsean
GoW series.

Everyone sucked @ killing the horde especially the asian guy, but then the brown haired white dude, and the spanish guy with the black man, and the blond white guy helped improve the war conditions by fighting the exact same way as every other soldier and locust on the planet of Sera.

Its a fun game though. :p

No they didn't.

You know what separated them? They didn't wear helmets. -__-
Quote by Lots O' FX
Oh, yeah it's been a while since playing as I said.
But still they don't know to dismember them, they would just shoot them either in the body or head, or, knowing space marines, just in the necromorphs general direction until they run out of ammo/are torn apart.

Isaac is capable of killing them perfectly well without taking out limbs. try it some time lol. Just lay into it right in the chest with the pulse rifle for a few seconds, it'll die That was a horrible gaping plot hole for me.
Quote by severed-metal
No they didn't.

You know what separated them? They didn't wear helmets. -__-

Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by MAC2322

Yeah? Well you came too late, my friend.

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Isaac is capable of killing them perfectly well without taking out limbs. try it some time lol. Just lay into it right in the chest with the pulse rifle for a few seconds, it'll die That was a horrible gaping plot hole for me.

Probably has to do with gameplay-plot seperation.
If marine NPC was shown shotting a necro in the chest it would have no effect.
Quote by JohnnyV

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Lots O' FX

If you shoot something in the chest until it hasn't got a chest anymore, you're essentially taking it's limbs off anyway..

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
All zombie films.

Zombie apocalypse would never happen because no matter how people try to argue otherwise, zombies are just shit. It would be over before it even began.

Someone has never seen 28 days later
Quote by Lots O' FX

that's why it's a huge plot hole
Quote by Sammythedruggie

Only a slight reworking.

Man1: Fast zombies outside
Man2: Go up in the loft, then.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by Jack Off Jill

The end.

I've never understood all the hype about it.
Quote by Sammythedruggie

I think that's irrelevant. They make no sense anyway, because if you think about it.. What are zombies doing? Eating people. That's the whole point. So, do you mean to tell me that if you were a zombie and you had a prime piece of meat, you're going to take off after someone else? Who the hell does that? Who goes to Burger King and says.. You know, I'm halfway through with this Whopper, and then chases down a Dominos delivery driver because there's a pizza that he can work extra hard for. And even if he did, that second zombie would still have his leg devoured, so you'd pretty much just have a bunch of limbless zombies just laying there doing nothing.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by herby190
I've never understood all the hype about it.

Hipster cred, bro. I'm going to watch it on my macbook now, and then I'm going to talk about it on my podcast.

It's mainly just that it's a movie that gives reason for discussion among friends. That's what I like about surreal films, if you watch it with friends, you can have a discussion on what the hell is going on in them. I just find that more appealing than, "Oh man, you remember that part in Superbad with all the dick drawings? That was awesome."
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think that's irrelevant. They make no sense anyway, because if you think about it.. What are zombies doing? Eating people. That's the whole point. So, do you mean to tell me that if you were a zombie and you had a prime piece of meat, you're going to take off after someone else? Who the hell does that? Who goes to Burger King and says.. You know, I'm halfway through with this Whopper, and then chases down a Dominos delivery driver because there's a pizza that he can work extra hard for. And even if he did, that second zombie would still have his leg devoured, so you'd pretty much just have a bunch of limbless zombies just laying there doing nothing.

It's even more clear with the 28 days later scenario. Those zombies aren't dead and they don't actually try to eat you. Just fuck you up. So if the first zombies going around messing people up and killing people, then whose actually getting infected?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Harry Potter- If Snape didn't love Lily
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
My only problem with the movie is that I hear people talk about it when they've never actually seen it, and when they want to watch it and know I have it, they insist on watching it with me. And when we watch it, they ask me a million questions. Same thing with Jodorowsky movies.

Don't even get me started on the plot of Fando Y Lis. I still have no idea what the hell is going on in THAT movie.

I hate this too. It's just like, WATCH THE MOVIE!
Quote by Jack Off Jill again

And why don't the zombies eat each other? I would imagine that when you are zombified and your brain basically turns off almost everything but the desire to eat, you wouldn't find that much difference in taste between rotting flesh and human flesh. And I imagine only drinking whatever blood they get from the victims isn't going to be enough to keep them hydrated. They may be undead, but if they need to eat, then surely they need to drink as well.
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
It's even more clear with the 28 days later scenario. Those zombies aren't dead and they don't actually try to eat you. Just fuck you up. So if the first zombies going around messing people up and killing people, then whose actually getting infected?

Yeah, I saw that movie. This is why I think zombie movies are stupid.

BUT.. If anyone ever gets to see the Night of the Living Dead puppet show.. Do yourself a favor and go. It's hilarious. Actually, to hell with it.. I'm going to post it here right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YZnvi6N-5M
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by MAC2322

As did I.

/leave thread
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
The hero will kill about 50 anonymous henchman with his bare hands, but fight like absolute shit against some out of shape white-collar businessman. Realistically, he'd be the easiest to kill.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
The Time Crystals from TimeSplitters... I mean... so, I played TimeSplitters2 for nothing?

I mean, wouldn't it end in a time paradox or something?

My favorite games on xBox though...
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
All zombie films.

The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by mtshark
Harry Potter- If Snape didn't love Lily

You ****.

You cuntity **** cuntface. ****.

For 2 years, TWO SODING YEARS, I have not managed to read the last Harry Potter book because it was spoiled to me. Every time I forgot a big spoiler some other twit would give me a new one, and now the movie's nearly out, and I was just thinking about picking it up again, and then you went and did that.

What the hell, man.

What the hell.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
that's why it's a huge plot hole

If it wasn't for that plot hole everyone would be bitching about how useless the pulse rifle is.
Quote by JohnnyV

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Page 1 of 2