This guitar was a gift from a friend, he had had it for several years and said it would be the perfect guitar for me. So far it has. I've had the Carvin since October 2009 and it has been wonderful since then, at least until recently.

What is happening is this: on the A string, I get kind of a *clink* sound when played open or on frets 1-3. Now, I also have this problem with the B string, but ONLY on the 3rd fret. I initially thought that this would be a string issue and I have since changed them twice without remedy to my problem.

The guitar had Ernie Ball Coated Slinky strings on when the issue began and I've since changed to Super Slinky, hoping the decrease in gauge would decrease the stress on the truss rod.

I am at an absolute and complete loss. I know I need to take this to a local guitar shop as I am mostly hardware-ignorant but I would like to know what the possible problems are so I can know exactly what to be charged for.

I really appreciate any help given. Thank you.
It's still set up for the old strings, which is causing fret buzz. Just get the intonation and action set up by a trusted tech and it'll be right as rain again.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
It's still set up for the old strings, which is causing fret buzz. Just get the intonation and action set up by a trusted tech and it'll be right as rain again.

I should clarify that I changed the strings twice and the problem began with the older strings (11s) and I switched to another pair and the problem continued. After that, I switched to the 9s.

I will take it to a tech though, thank you.