Page 1 of 2
What's UG's general opinion of this guy?

I'd love to go to his shop someday but....oh wait.....average people aren't allowed to just walk in anymore basically...

http://www.edroman.com/general/How_to_buy_from_erg.html

His hate for Gibson is so funny it's pathetic. I smell jealousy. I've never herd of Les Pauls, or any Gibson guitar, breaking like the way he describes.

Also, he keeps descibing "1000's of guitars in stock" Why the hell not post 'em on your site? I'd love to get a complete look at his USA made BC Rich inventory...but no dice, and seeing How I'm not welcome to walk in...guess I'll never know

So...anyone ever been to his shop?

Do tell of any experiences
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
ehh he's not well liked
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I heard someone say that he went into his shop and Ed just followed him around the shop, watching him. The dude got sick of it pretty quickly and just left.

EDIT; F*&k, $100 deposit just to look around his 'showroom', and it only lasts for 30 days!? What a tool.
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 5, 2010,
He's that kid you used to know who has a lot of money and nice things, but is a total jackass about ti and always goes on about how much nicer and more expensive it is. He grew up physically, just never mentally. Apparently he's a really nice guy, but he's just an ass when it comes to his business. He also photoshops his products into people's hands. Let me get an example...
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by littlephil
EDIT; F*&k, $100 deposit just to look around his 'showroom', and it only lasts for 30 days!? What a tool.

Oh ya don't have to get me started on that...what a crock

His whole shop just sounds like a huge "F^%k You" to every guitar player

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
Ive met Ed, been in his shop back when it was open to the public, and own an Abstract Pagan which i love
I definitely am aware of his crooked business-man ship
As for personality, he didn't seem to outgoing or friendly. The guy likes money, what else can be said?

Idk. Id definitely love to own another Pagan.
Found the photoshopped image.

And the original

If I'm correct, his history of it is inaccurate as well. If I recall Eric's autobiography properly, he was in need of a guitar to replace a Les Paul he had to leave in Greece due to a kidnapping(More on that in his book; I'm not spoiling everything) once he joined Cream(I assume his 335 was feeding back with a cranked, early 100W Marshall), and until '68, Gibson had discontinued Les Pauls(He found his other Les Paul in a pawnshop and bought it because Freddie King I think it was had one on the cover of an album), so he bought an SG instead since it was Gibson's new mass-market solidbody. It's not George's Revolver SG.

he's got good information and some bad information. if you're smart you can learn something from him and disregard what is crap.

case in point - gibson's headstock joint does function like it's designed by a 2nd grader.
prs neck joint - unnecessarily big.

now does this mean you should buy ed's guitars? nope. facts are facts. what you do with them determines whether or not you're an asshole. ed. huge asshole.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Ed Roman is a legend is his own little kingdom the rest of us just see him as an opinionated jerk who only cares about money. Go check out his contact us page. A hundred dollar deposit for the privilege of walking in his store. I like his quote on foreign customers he only has time for 2 emails and don't bother calling if you don't plan to spend more than a hundred dollars. How long would most guitar stores be in business with rules like that.
It's amusing that he's in business. I first stumbled on his name in a guitar-building forum a couple of years ago, and continue to find it here and there in my forum travels. He's pretty much universally reviled.

I would not give up one penny of my money to that kind of arrogance.

And his website looks like a first year design project.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
He was run out of two east coast locations by consumer lawsuits and a horrible BBB reputation. That's why he moved to Nevada.

Rumor has it he's actually been keeping his nose a LITTLE cleaner in NV, but if you do business with him you're still an idiot.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by necrosis1193

And the original

that's funny, you can even see the bottom of the strat and the edge of the jack plate in the shopped picture...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
he is opinionated, but some things he says are true, and from what i can tell, his pearlcasters and quicksilvers are amazing guitars. i love his construction, the heel joint, direct mount pickups, woods, tone pros hardware etc.
What a dick, $100 just to walk in the store. Never seen his guitars used by pros either.
Quote by ikey_
he is opinionated, but some things he says are true, and from what i can tell, his pearlcasters and quicksilvers are amazing guitars. i love his construction, the heel joint, direct mount pickups, woods, tone pros hardware etc.

If those are the things you want, go with GMW. Lee's a good guy (as opposed to Human scum like Ed) and is happy to build with all those features. Plus Lee has actual guitar building skills, which Ed seems to lack.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I heard under his beard, there is another fist!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I can't say much that hasn't already been said, I will however note his section about Mosrite guitars. He says Mosrite is one of the most copied guitar companies which isn't false but then he goes on to say that a lot of companies make fake Mosrite guitars. How on earth is this true if they aren't putting the Mosrite name on the headstock or are copying the guitars 100%? Sure, There's some copies in Japan with the Mosrite name but they have permission to do that.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Ed Roman also went through some controversy when he was selling custom guitars which actually turned out to be cheap chinese bodies and necks and whacking the price up tenfold, a good few people were pissed at him for what he did. He was never answering his phone and went to extreme lengths to avoid people he did business with.

he also was buying OLPs (musicmans budget range before Sterling [Actually very nice guitars]) and refinishing them to look like Musicmans and then selling them off for tenfold prices as well.

He claimed at one point to have made Slash's Appetite for destruction guitar and alot of other things. Hes a total S*hitstain of a human being and to be honest im pretty sure hes probably surfing this forum looking at what we all write wishing he could call all this stuff lies
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by nav00
Ed Roman also went through some controversy when he was selling custom guitars which actually turned out to be cheap chinese bodies and necks and whacking the price up tenfold, a good few people were pissed at him for what he did. He was never answering his phone and went to extreme lengths to avoid people he did business with.

he also was buying OLPs (musicmans budget range before Sterling [Actually very nice guitars]) and refinishing them to look like Musicmans and then selling them off for tenfold prices as well.

He claimed at one point to have made Slash's Appetite for destruction guitar and alot of other things. Hes a total S*hitstain of a human being and to be honest im pretty sure hes probably surfing this forum looking at what we all write wishing he could call all this stuff lies

Sounds familiar.... DeVries?!? He's the DeVries that gets away with it

his page about "gibson lawsuits" that he says will be the biggest page on the internet only has about 4 posts, and they are all from noobs who hate gibson because they are expensive, or because they play metal and like schecters better
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 6, 2010,
i like some of his tech articles, he makes some nice arguments about tech/design

dont care much about his attitude, his stuff is geographically unavailable and priced out of my budget.
I live around the block from the shop.

Yes, the store is nice and stuffy. The first itme I called, 5 years ago, I was encouraged to only come if I intended to buy something (I did) and I if was serious and experienced (I am).

I came in, talked shop a bit and got a good tour of the place. I was asked to only play guitars that I was seriously attracted to.
The inventory is really, really too tacky for me.

So, while I had a decent experience, but I can see why people don't like him.

But I've worked in music stores before and you all know how obnoxious customers can be, because we are all customers. As Ed Roman's lowest end items are around $600, you do have to understand if he doesn't want people just browsing and picking everything up to play with. Everyday at SamAsh, I had to deal with the "Straiway" crowd all day, but that's part of THAT job at THAT store and the manager frequently reminded us of that.

You can apply this thinking to any retail or guest serivce job/provider you may have.

So, I'm not saying it's right, but I understand. Just don't do business with him.
If in a couple years, you are interested in dropping $3000 on some exotic guitar, you will be pleased to go in, get personalized service and not be distracted by entry level players and kids coming in to buy one string or asking to play everything on the highest rack in the store.

Again, I'm not saying it's right, but I understand. Just don't do business with him.

(Also, tghe photoshopping, if you are correct, IS bullsh*t)
Quote by HalfDose

"Straiway" crowd .

Only the greatest rock song, coolest chord progression and greatest guitar solo ever composed.
Quote by LK_revival
Only the greatest rock song, coolest chord progression and greatest guitar solo ever composed.

(Invalid img)

Denied!

Stairway Totally denied.

I'm going to start a whole new thread of "Annoying Songs to head in the guitar store"

Thread Can Be Found Here

And to the point of my original post, I now work in a big, expencive resort in Vegas. When rates are low, people come in for $75 a night. They bring coollers of beer and bags of groceries with them... they are appropriately called the "Cooler Crowd"

They don't want to spend money and they want everything for free. Resorts rarely have policies against these folks, but other places; golf courses, restarants and guitar stores can and do.

Last edited by HalfDose at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by HalfDose
Stairway Totally denied.

I'm going to start a whole new thread of "Annoying Songs to head in the guitar store"

I enjoy playing it, listening it still. When the drums kick in I get a chubby. To me that song is like a chocolate bar or a pair of 44DD's, no matter how much I already had I'll take some more again.

Black label society did a worthy rendition of it. But the original is still hard to beat.

Everybody sing now..... "and she is buying a...."
IDK LK, I much prefer Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies' version...

...I also prefer smaller, b or c cups

We're getting far off topic, but I'd just like to mention that I have a list of great songs that I could live the rest of my life without ever hearing again. Toward the top, you'll find AC/DC, Devil Went Down To Georgia and a bunch of Led Zep...

No Hate
Quote by HalfDose

We're getting far off topic,

Not too far off topic. We started off talking about a dick and progressed to boobs, which I prefere talking about those anyway.
Ed Roman is a joke. and not a good one.

BUT i can spend hours on his site reading his "rants" and ramblings. some are pretty funny. none are factual.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Lol, he seems like a pretentious douchebag, if I ever want some expensive guitars I'll stick with ESP kthanx.

$100 deposit to browse? Yea right. It's a wonder how he's even in business.
Quote by necrosis1193

Obvious shoop is obviously obvious

Quote by coolstoryangus
In other new UG EG loves Schecters.

Not this guy

Oh this thread again (searchbar please)

He's a douche

/thread (again)

Quote by coolstoryangus
In other new UG EG loves Schecters.

Also, a new member of the UG forums has successfully had a Schecter guitar removed from his vagina, which was previously causing crabbiness.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Aug 7, 2010,
The searchbar can kiss my taint

Page 1 of 2