bwalter123
111 IQ
The title pretty much says it all. I am using a Dean Mlx with .12-.54 strings and wish to tune it down to Drop F so I am in tune with Meshuggah for the song "Combustion". How exactly do I go about dropping it that low?
siverstorm
UG's Gardevoir
664 IQ
Tune it down?

I'm pretty sure you'd need 13s, and a set up if you want it to sound even remotely good. Assuming you're dropping from Standard-Drop C down to Drop F.

OR you could leave your guitar, and save up for a 7 string (Or 8 string)
Last edited by siverstorm at Aug 5, 2010,
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
acousticmirror says this course of action is highly unrecommended. you will sound like garbage.
meshuggah uses awesome extended range and extra string guitars for mega awesome. It's too awesome for a regular six string.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
siverstorm
UG's Gardevoir
664 IQ
Quote by AcousticMirror
acousticmirror says this course of action is highly unrecommended. you will sound like garbage.
meshuggah uses awesome extended range and extra string guitars for mega awesome. It's too awesome for a regular six string.

This pretty much sums up what I wanted to say in a more comedic and slightly pretentious, but still awesome way.
Demonikk
Falcooon... PUNCH!!
1,040 IQ
Don't bother, it'll sound and play like shit. Meshuggah use 30" scale length guitars and I believe their bottom F is a .74 or .70. Either one will most likely not fit in a regular machinehead and even if it did, you would have to raise the action a tonne. Trust me on this, I owned a 30" 8-string so I can tell you you won't get good results unless you have at least a 27" scale
ohai little sig.
bwalter123
111 IQ
even though it wasnt what i had hoped for ha, i appreciate the fast responses.
olix95
300 IQ
drop F? you'll need string gauges like 25-174 for that, lol
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
^ lol.

You'll definitely want some kind of baritone for that. Preferably an 8 string, if you're really into them that much, but if not, a baritone 6 or 7 string would be good, as you can do a lot of other stuff with them as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
onemanarmy9
471 IQ
Baritone 7 should be able to do it fine, though even if it is for a specific song, I highly recommend never playing in drop F. Once you hit Drop G you're playing bass guitar technically (the G is the high string on a bass) and you will piss off almost every bassist if you invade their territory. If it's for fun, yeah, baritone 7 or an 8 will do it, but not that dean.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
STABxYOU
Keeps Punk Rock Elite
980 IQ
Quote by onemanarmy9
Once you hit Drop G you're playing bass guitar technically (the G is the high string on a bass) and you will piss off almost every bassist if you invade their territory. If it's for fun, yeah, baritone 7 or an 8 will do it, but not that dean.

Nonsense.

The low D on a guitar tuned to drop-D matches the pitch of the D string on a bass.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
connorhxcchaos
Djentleman
318 IQ
hit up a 7 string or a baritone or a baritone 7 string or an 8 string. The intonation will be way out and it'll become annoying
randomhero93
Refined Knowledge
707 IQ
Quote by STABxYOU
Nonsense.

The low D on a guitar tuned to drop-D matches the pitch of the D string on a bass.

this.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Dayn
536 IQ
Just a heads up, but Combustion is in F standard, it has pull-offs to the open strings which you can't do in drop-F.

I would say... get a baritone guitar, a seven, or an eight string. I have a 27" 8-string and I use a 65 and 85 for my low B and F#; the 85 barely fits in the saddle, and I'd only go as thin as an 80 for the 8th. You're going to have quite a lot of instability that low, and I really don't think it'll work. It's only a 24.75" scale... but you can give it a try. I think it'll be a waste of good strings and won't sound good at all, but you won't know until you try.
Dopey_Trout
UGs least cleverest fishy
368 IQ
Quote by AlexAngus
If you want to play bass just buy one!

Shut up
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
valennic
No longer Adam West.
4,337 IQ
Don't even try to do that. You'll dick up your guitar so bad you'll be furious with yourself.

Just save for an 8 string. Agile makes affordable 8 strings that are great. Get one.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

jpnyc
Banned
1,023 IQ
I wouldn’t even try Drop F on a six string. Maybe on a 28" 7-string. But really, if you’ve graduated to playing Meshuggah songs, maybe you need to graduate to an 8-string guitar.
siverstorm
UG's Gardevoir
664 IQ
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Shut up

I was just about to post this. It's like 8 string guitars are illegal to the purists. -_-

BTW I don't know if I told you before, but I love your sig.
Dopey_Trout
UGs least cleverest fishy
368 IQ
Quote by siverstorm
I was just about to post this. It's like 8 string guitars are illegal to the purists. -_-

BTW I don't know if I told you before, but I love your sig.

I love my 8 string, and I'm jealous of your Edwards
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
DanDarkEraMonks
10 IQ
i have a standard scale charvelle dc1, i have changed my strings to baritone so 13-72 gauge, as i play nothing but dropped tunings and cannot afford a decent 7/8 string, also slack strings arent fun. i have tuned it down to f standard on these strings and it sounds farily decent still on a standard scale. so if like me you cannot afford an 8, definatly use this comprimise. also iv got no problems with the guitar since changing this
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig
1,400 IQ
You could probably do it on a baritone 6 string honestly. On quite a few of their songs you can see where they've taped up the GBe strings.

Since you're a Meshuggah fan, I'd recommend a 7 string though. Sure, they play 8, but a lot of people find 7 strings to be difficult to grasp and master. I certainly wouldn't say you need to master a 7 before getting an 8, but it should help with navigating around the fretboard.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,700 IQ
Quote by Demonikk
Don't bother, it'll sound and play like shit. Meshuggah use 30" scale length guitars and I believe their bottom F is a .74 or .70. Either one will most likely not fit in a regular machinehead and even if it did, you would have to raise the action a tonne. Trust me on this, I owned a 30" 8-string so I can tell you you won't get good results unless you have at least a 27" scale

Exactly! I was just about to post this. See, the reason that bands like Meshuggah can tune as low as they do is because they use 8-string guitars with a long enough scale length to allow tuning as low as Drop F.

Plus, even assuming that scale length wasn't an issue (which it MOST CERTAINLY is), then you have the issue of determining whether you can even put strings that heavy on a standard 6-string. I sure as hell wouldn't put something as heavy as .74 on a standard 6-string neck.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by DanDarkEraMonks
i have a standard scale charvelle dc1, i have changed my strings to baritone so 13-72 gauge, as i play nothing but dropped tunings and cannot afford a decent 7/8 string, also slack strings arent fun. i have tuned it down to f standard on these strings and it sounds farily decent still on a standard scale. so if like me you cannot afford an 8, definatly use this comprimise. also iv got no problems with the guitar since changing this

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Kyleisthename
1,483 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Holy hell, how did I not notice this was a necro?...

Because you're crazy
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,208 IQ
Good I miss AcousticMirror
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70