That's it, I'm broke and I'm done - but I have a rig-o-death.
Here's my chopped 5150 combo and my banged up Mesa 412.
This thing sounds awesome. I'm happy.
Attachments:
my rig.JPG
^Thanks man. Not creepy, we're practically neighbors. New Hampster doesn't suck that bad.
Quote by 667
^Thanks man. Not creepy, we're practically neighbors. New Hampster doesn't suck that bad.

False, it does. Except for the lakes region

BTW, nice rig
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
How'd you get the amp bit out of the combo? Did you have to build a separate enclosure or what?
Nice rig btw
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Uhm... I really like the chopped combo, and kind of want to do it because my 5150 weighs like 84 pounds.
How exactly did you go about it?
I love how there are no knobs at the front of the head since they're at the top. It looks awesome!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I love how there are no knobs at the front of the head since they're at the top. It looks awesome!

This.

That's one badass looking head, bro.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
You need a Mesa logo then you're good. haha. I tell you though, I'm not a Schecter fan but I would still love that rig. I'll bet it sounds beastly.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

I looked at the pic and WTF'd until I read his post
BAMFR brah.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Now you just need to change the speakers in the 5150 combo and run a 3/4 stack.

Brutal as hell.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by FrustratedRocka
HowHow'd you get the amp bit out of the combo? Did you have to build a separate enclosure or what?
Nice rig btw

It was real easy. The speaker enclosure and the head part are pretty much compartmentalized and seperate. Just pull the speakers and electronics (4 screws for the electronics - and everything slides out on one tray). Score the tolex about an inch or so lower that where you're going to cut and pull it back. It's pretty obvious where to cut after that (make the cut so that the bottom front boarder is the same width as the top). Go at it with a reciprocating saw. Take the metal corners off the cab part. Fold over the excess tolex and put the corners on the bottom of the head. The bottom is recessed. I cut 2x4s and spaced them near the sides and screwed them in. Then I screwed the rubber feet from the bottom of the cab into those. Slide the electronics back in, plug the cab into the external speaker jack and done.

If you cut clean, you can make a 2x12 out of the bottom. part.

Edit:
Oh, and the external jack is labeled 16 ohms - but when the internal speakers are disconnected, it runs at 8 ohm's. I verified this with Peavey's tech support.
Last edited by 667 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by rooster456
5150 + THD Hotplate + Tubescreamer = Righteous.

Weber Mass Lite and Maxon OD808... same difference
Quote by denied
Sick looking rig. Why do you need to attenuate the 5150?? They have solid post gain controls and I'm assuming your not going for power tube saturation...

I love the chopped combo idea. Theres been a few on here. Wish I still had mine to do that to. Wonder what it does to the resale value.

I can live without the Weber, but if you've never used one, give it a try. It gives you more tone options AND the ability to crank post more while keeping the volume reasonable. The more post gain you give, the less fizz you get (not that fizz is always bad) - but too little post sounds way too thin to my ears - like it's mssing something. You can get a fuller deeper saturation with it and not blow your ears.

I was concerned about the resale too. We'll see. I really want one of the new Randall tube heads.
Last edited by 667 at Aug 6, 2010,
Don't ever sell that. Ever. That's awesome.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.