So what are some things that could be said in between songs at a gig, and when should you say these things?
"I drink whiskey in the gutters," Dan Talamentes, singer/rhythm guitarist of my older brother's band Birdhouse, once said that at a show I was at. "C'mon, these people have seen me naked throwing up on midgets before," Cedric Bixler said that. Creative shit like that ya know?
Watch a video of Mikael Akerfeldt. Learn.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
Unless you guys are genuinely funny, don't try to be witty. You'll look ridiculous. Don't act like a rock star - you aren't there yet, and again, you'll look ridiculous. Do not encourage crowd participation if it's clear they just plan on sitting back and watching - ridiculous, right?

Unless you're comfortable on stage, I'd say just introduce the songs, and that's it. Let the music do the talking. Once you get a feel for the flow of a show, then you can start working in bits and stories.
For instance, in an old band of mine, I had written a song while in the shower - I just heard the riff in my head, so when I hopped out, I sat down with my guitar and just worked out everything I had imagined (after I had put clothes on, mind you). At every show we ever did after that, our singer always introduced the song as being "about Adam, naked in the shower... ladies." Always got a laugh.
If you've got a decent set list there is no need to say much, save for introducing the next song or something like that.
The way I plan to do it is just play the next song as soon as 1s finished, you could try that out.
Quote by VeilOfMaya

This.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by VeilOfMaya

Do you mind posting any links to a good one?
just talk to the crow'd like you would a friend. ask them how there day was and make it tons more better. make jokes if your a funny person.

dont be shy just talk make a conversation to the group in genral. someone replys you talk with them at the same time as talking to the crow'd

(sorry if I dont make sence I'm a bit drunk at the moment)
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.
Quote by VeilOfMaya

You know what, while I agree that he's a good front-man, I would say that emulating him on stage for a new, relatively unknown band is pretty bad advice. When Mikael's up there, everyone in the audience already knows that he's a god, so he could say anything and they'll cheer. Hell, he can say NOTHING and they'll cheer.

Also, he sometimes takes it a bit far. On the Lamentations DVD, there's like a 3 minute break between each song where he talks about nothing half the time.
Quote by alexbass
You know what, while I agree that he's a good front-man, I would say that emulating him on stage for a new, relatively unknown band is pretty bad advice. When Mikael's up there, everyone in the audience already knows that he's a god, so he could say anything and they'll cheer. Hell, he can say NOTHING and they'll cheer.

Also, he sometimes takes it a bit far. On the Lamentations DVD, there's like a 3 minute break between each song where he talks about nothing half the time.
That's a valid point. I didn't really think about that Oops.

I think, if TS has a bunch of friends in the crowd or if he's in a similar situation where people know him, that's the time where this kind of thing could work. Don't force anything and try to be him or be super cool though. Never looks good. Ever. Being natural and yourself is the best thing you can do.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
Be like, "I just ate a bologne sandwich." Then bust into the next song.

The crowd would be so confused.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
a band that we used open for used to never say anything. they'd go up.. and literally play all 12 of their songs with like.. a half second pause between each.

song would end. awkward half second pause.. drummer counts in and boom they start again.

it was impressive considering they played metal and did it in an hour long marathon.

Some shows they had some chatter between songs. but he kept it terse.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Just tell the audience something about the next song, or dedicate it to a friend who's in the audience. Those are always good calls. Tell a story about a band-mate, that's always a good one too as long as its funny and unoffensive. If all else fails just thank people, no hates you for thanking people as long as you don't go on for 5 minutes or anything.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
In my experience, both as a musician and an audience member, you're probably best served by keeping any remarks brief. Don't tell long stories or complicated jokes. The reason is that in most crowded bars or clubs, the audience is only going to understand about 30% of what you're saying. The rest will just sould like the grown ups on Peanuts ("Wah, wah. Wah wah wah.") Nothing's worse than sitting through 60 seconds of banter that's been rendered totally incoherent by the shitty sound system.