i wanna get one of these as my next head played through my mesa 4x12 recto cabs.
which would be a better choice?

I play

Van Halen
Racer X
Slipknot
Killswitch Engage
Satch
Vai
Kiss
SRV
Hendrix
Clapton
Stray Cats
Sabbath
Lamb of God
John 5
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
George Thorogood
Staind
Alterbridge

Pretty much anything
5150 is a wicked metal amp, but for the things you're listing, i'd go with the JSX.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
MArk V would be the best choice. Hahahaha.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
I actually have a 5150 with a v30 cab and i love it. Its arguably the best amp for metal (killswitch, lamb of god, slayer) but it has absolute no versatility. I've used a Jsx and it defiantly doesn't have as good as a metal tone but it is great for everything else and is wayyyyyy more versatile. If you know you want to move exclusively to metal than go with the 5150 but if not than I'd go with the jsx
You could look into a used JCM 2000 DSL 100. Its pretty versatile. It has a great clean channel, a really nice gain channel, and a good high gain channel. With a simple boost or overdrive, it gets pretty heavy. A lot heavier than anything I use it for.

But with what you listed, My vote goes to a JSX
Last edited by nickdohle at Aug 6, 2010,
Out of the two I would say JSX, but there are better things out there for what you want. Minus LOG and killswitch I think a more vintage voiced amp would be better.

edit: +1 to the guy above
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Aug 6, 2010,
I make my 5150 combo pretty versatile. You can tweak it pretty well. I'm not sure if the head is much different. But I personally hate the JSX. Couldn't do what I wanted.