I am a new guitar player, I have been playing for going on 4 months now. I play around 3-4 hours a day everyday. I have been practicing scales, tabs, hammer ons, pull offs, chords, all that good stuff. Lately I have been practicing my pinch harmonics =) (which is tough for me at the moment) but i'm getting the hang of it. lol. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on what they did when they were first starting off as a beginner? What else should I be practicing in order to improve even more that I already have? What are the things I MUST KNOW as a guitarist? I enjoy the fact that I am a beginner. I'm not the kind of person that wants results without the hard work. I have fun putting in hours of play. Thank you for any advice that you can give me!
SCHECTER DAMIEN SPECIAL-FR

PEAVEY VYPYR 30
Alternate and economy picking. Play with a metronome. Learn to play cleanly, only letting the strings ring out that are supposed to ring out.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Here's one exercise that you can get a lot of mileage out of...

Set a metronome to 60 and on the first click, play the note, and on the second click, mute it by lifting your fretting finger up just a tiny bit. On each string, starting with the low E (the lowest sounding one), pick any spot on the fretboard and basically do a sort of 1-2-3-4 deal with your fingers moving across the strings and back, one finger per fret on your fingertips. Concentrate on playing it perfectly and just keep playing it perfectly for awhile even after you've mastered it and you want to pick up the speed.

Yeah I know, everyone has used this exercise. However, how many of you leave your fingers where they are until it's time for them to fret a new note? This twist makes it so you have to use near perfect economy of motion with your left hand and has helped my speed immensely over time.

edit: oh, this should probably go without saying, but just in case - using alternate picking for this exercise. meaning pick down, then up, then down, then up, then change strings and hit the down pick again.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Aug 6, 2010,
When should I start learning music theory? Should I start learning about it now?
SCHECTER DAMIEN SPECIAL-FR

PEAVEY VYPYR 30
Yeah.. there's a few series about it on this site. Freepower's got a good series that covers just about everything.

DO learn theory.. but don't bother with standard notation yet. A music staff looked depressing to me back when I started out. Concern yourself with things like rhythm, intervals, scales, and how to construct chords for starters.
Start learning theory whenever you feel comfortable around your guitar. Maybe learn a couple simple songs that you enjoy first. When you start diving into theory after learning some songs, you'll notice all sorts of theory you already know in a way.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings