My band includes a multi-instrumentalist (well actually a few but thats not the point) who plays the violin and keyboard. He's getting an electric violin for his birthday, and he doesn't have an amp. I only have a bass amp, which I need for my bass, but the guitarists might have an extra amp or 2, can he use those? And keyboards have pretty high and low notes, so what kind of amps do keyboardists use? Can he plug both the violin and keyboard into 1 amp simultaneously? Help is much appreciated!
well the violinist and i dont know crap abt the elctronics either :P so we need to find out!
A keyboard amp should will work just fine for an electric violin. I assume it's a solidbody electric and not an acoustic with a pickup? In that case you'd probably want an acoustic with it, but a keyboard amp will work with just about anything, violins included. A guitar amp will work, but not well, for both instruments.
Quote by Roc8995
A keyboard amp should will work just fine for an electric violin. I assume it's a solidbody electric and not an acoustic with a pickup? In that case you'd probably want an acoustic with it, but a keyboard amp will work with just about anything, violins included. A guitar amp will work, but not well, for both instruments.

yeah its a solid body electric violin. could we plug both the keyboard and violin in the amp at the same time? they probly wouldnt be played at the exact same time but within the same songs so u think that would work?
Those electric violins sound awesome through a cranked valve amp. I would use a nice guitar amp for that and run the keyboards through the PA.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^yeah, the couple violin shops i have been in usually have a marshall half stack or something set up for electric work. i wanna Ponty used guitar amps too, but it is quite a more aggressive sound than plugging in a PA. so it's really up to what you want.

PA is also useful for plenty of other things as well, like vocals.

btw, keyboards use full range amps. a PA works just fine for this.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yes, well if you want a more traditional violin sound out of it I'd run the lot though the PA. But electric violin through a valve amp is a very tasty sound. Through a clean amp like a Fender Twin they sound very nice but if you can crank up some amp distortion you get a beast from the depths of a Clive Barker novel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
will the violin sound fine thru the keyboard amp? we cant afford a whole lo of amps or anything, he's gonna spend all of his parents' money on a keyboard amp and im gonna spend al my parents' money on recording equipment haha