Im sort've new to the guitar. I bought one at a pawn shop for 30$ im sure you are familiar with the "First Act" Brand like a beginner guitar. I figured it would be good to practice with. I replaced the strings with "First Act" acoustic strings. My question is how often should i tune, replace my strings, and is it worth it to get better strings like do they hold tune longer. I eventually aim to get a better guitar but any suggestions on improving my experience with this guitar is greatly appreciated.

Also im kindve new to the forum so if this post is posted in the wrong subcategory then i apologize.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Steve
Hello.

New strings sound better. New tuning heads keep in tune better. You should replace your strings every 2 - 4 months, depending on how good they are and how much you play the guitar.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
These are usually times when I change my strings:
-When they're starting to get more than a few spots of rust
-When they start losing their tone; it'll come with experience to be able to tell the difference between worn and new strings
-When they start losing their tension and don't stay in tune well

Actually, that's pretty much it. I don't change often because, one, it's expensive, and two, I use Elixir strings that are coated so they're resistant to rust a lot longer. In regards to tuning, check to see if your guitar is in tune whenever you pick it up. You'll get used to it, but it's better than playing out of tune.

Now, if you're talking about nylon strings... I have no idea. Replace them when they snap, perhaps?
welcome to ug
new strings usually sound better and you should tune as soon as you go out of tune or at least whenever you pick up the guitar
Thanks I didn't know that about the tuning heads.

The strings aren't nylon they are metal i was only curious because ive been practicing for about 4 or 5 hours and the sound was getting a little strained, so i checked my tuner and it showed that all six strings had slipped out of tune. I didnt know if tuning should become a daily practice or if it was just because i got cheaper 5$ strings at target.

Ill probably upgrade my strings and tuning heads once i get more advanced with the guitar.
Quote by supersac
welcome to ug
new strings usually sound better and you should tune as soon as you go out of tune or at least whenever you pick up the guitar

Yeah thats what I was thinking, and thanks for the welcome.
Welcome.

Tune every time before you play your guitar, and sometimes even in the middle of playing if you are playing for a long period of time. This helps your ears get used to what the proper notes sound like.

Change strings every few months or when they break (obviously I hope).

I think getting better strings is worth it, they aren't very expensive. But really strings only vary so much in my experience, so if you don't want to or can't afford to don't worry about it. Also make sure you are stringing the guitar right (ie. "knotting" the strings around the tuning pegs). This will keep the guitar in tune longer.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Last edited by Msword7 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by SteveMusic®
Thanks I didn't know that about the tuning heads.

The strings aren't nylon they are metal i was only curious because ive been practicing for about 4 or 5 hours and the sound was getting a little strained, so i checked my tuner and it showed that all six strings had slipped out of tune. I didnt know if tuning should become a daily practice or if it was just because i got cheaper 5$ strings at target.

Ill probably upgrade my strings and tuning heads once i get more advanced with the guitar.

Even First Act strings should stay in tune longer than 5 hours. Are you streatching them out?

To do that, you tune the low E string up to an E, then pull it about an inch or so away from the body fret (the last fret becore the guitar body), wiggle it around a bit, then let it snap back and tune the string back. Repeat this until you can pull the string away and it won't go out of tune. Do this with every string. Re-tune the strings after doing this to all the strings to make sure that you streatched them out completely.

It might take a while, but it really helps a lot, and unfortunantly many beginners neglect to do this.
New strings usually take a while to stay in tune for me, one minute theyre in tune, next minute theyre not. I just play for a few hours untill they finally stay in tune, checking it every few songs or whatever.
Quote by The Hunger
Even First Act strings should stay in tune longer than 5 hours. Are you streatching them out?

To do that, you tune the low E string up to an E, then pull it about an inch or so away from the body fret (the last fret becore the guitar body), wiggle it around a bit, then let it snap back and tune the string back. Repeat this until you can pull the string away and it won't go out of tune. Do this with every string. Re-tune the strings after doing this to all the strings to make sure that you streatched them out completely.

It might take a while, but it really helps a lot, and unfortunantly many beginners neglect to do this.

Good Tip I'll have to try that. Thanks
Keep an eye on your strings. It will be obvious when they need to be changed. They will begin to sound "dull" and possibly have some discoloration. This can occur with time and depends on how much you play.

I do not recommend First Act strings. GHS strings are cheap and they are great. GHS Jammers for acoustic can even be found at some Wal-Mart stores. $5 a pack and they are some of the best strings I have ever used

Also, if these strings are brand new, they can be knocked out of tune easily for a little while. Stretch them like recommended above. They will begin to stay in tune soon. New strings do that.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
for me i make sure im in tune with whatever tuning i was using last whenever i pick up my guitar...and if you don't kno what the "tune" sound is just go on youtube and type in standard tuning or whatever guitar tuning you need they usualy got vids
Ima Dude Dressed Like Another Dude Playing As Another Dude