Hey all. I just ran out of a ridiculously huge spool of 22 awg electrical hookup wire that I have been using for guitar wiring jobs these past few years. I was planning on just picking up another large spool during my next trip to the hardware store but I am wondering about other wire types I've seen over the years. They are probably nonexistent or negligible but I was wondering if there are any tonal differences between cloth covered wired and braided metal wire? I currently use the standard poly/plastic covered wire and although I've had no issues with them I'd like to see what else is out there for me to work with if its worth a go. Thanks for any help.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
The braided vintage style wire is shielded which means less noise. Cloth covered 22awg vs poly 22awg are exactly the same. I use cloth covered simply because it's easier to work with. You don't have to strip the wires and the insulation doesn't melt so people without a lot of electronic experience like it. If you are comfortable with poly then save some cash and use poly. Either that, or go shielded.
Thanks a lot CorduroyEW. The idea of not having to clip the cover insulation on poly wire sounds good to me so I'm going to try out some cloth covered wire. I've never had any issues with noise so I don't really think braided wire is necessary for now cloth it is.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
The difference in cover would probably only affect the protection against ambiant frequencies/noises. If you want an upgrade, use shielded wires, if you don't already do. They can reduce noises coming from outsides sources. Since the currents inside the guitar are so small, it takes less RF(or w/e) to make noise. Differene might not be audible, but it will reduce noises by a lot.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.