Ok this might be the wrong place but it concerns pedals so i thought I would ask

has anybody imported a pedal from america and had to pay customs charges on them, if so how much?

I just got one off ebay for £120 +£8 P&P so does anybody know what I should expect to pay when it gets into the country?

I have checked the customs website but it just looks like a list of long words that dont make any sense when put together lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
When I import things from the states if it has a high value I pay 13% roughly. I'm in canada though so it may be different for you.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Ask the seller to mark as a gift and value at less than $50.

A guitar I recieved from the states to the UK was marked as this and had to pay no tax.
Ibanez RG1570 (06) LTD Truckster (07) Fender USA Standard Strat (97) Blackstar HT5s ,TC Polytune, SHO Clone, Russian Muff pi, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall Reflector, MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by marmaliser
Ask the seller to mark as a gift and value at less than $50.

A guitar I recieved from the states to the UK was marked as this and had to pay no tax.

thats all well and good till it gets trashed in transit and the shipping company will only refund the value thats marked on the shipping deceleration.

oh and not to mention it being illegal
Not that it helps you but to here there is none unless you go over something like $2000 (somebody else may know the exact figure). When the US$ tanks I go shopping.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Not that it helps you but to here there is none unless you go over something like $2000 (somebody else may know the exact figure). When the US$ tanks I go shopping.

...so you mean like how its almost $ for $ now? Damm ima go me some Mills Acoustics shopping
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
...so you mean like how its almost $ for $ now? Damm ima go me some Mills Acoustics shopping

Except it'll still cost a crapload because of weight and size.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Cathbard

$1000 is the figure you are looking for there

and really I only paid $400 on my wizard when i bought it down from the usa, and its a percentage of the item value + Shipping +insurance... so thats pretty dam good.
Quote by Cathbard

Lol buddy, you're two years late.
Quote by Oldmonkeys
$1000 is the figure you are looking for there

and really I only paid $400 on my wizard when i bought it down from the usa, and its a percentage of the item value + Shipping +insurance... so thats pretty dam good.

Awwww way to go for wrecking my 10 mins of happiness. Back to looking for used Mesa and Orange cabs
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by TheQuailman
Lol buddy, you're two years late.

I have already taken advantage of it several times already. I don't think we have seen the last of it by any means. The IMF haven't reported back with their audit after all. The best is yet to come (from our perspective).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Guitar-KID125
Awwww way to go for wrecking my 10 mins of happiness. Back to looking for used Mesa and Orange cabs

hahaha sorry dude, but really its not worth getting a cab from overseas unless you really want to pay through the teeth.

I could have got the matching white wizard cab (and I REEEEEEALLY wanted to) but it was going to cost me around $700 shipping on top of the actualy cost not including customs.
Quote by Oldmonkeys
thats all well and good till it gets trashed in transit and the shipping company will only refund the value thats marked on the shipping deceleration.

oh and not to mention it being illegal

All good points and to be fair though I did not know the guitar was coming from the USA, I bought it on UK ebay and it was not until it turned up 4 days later that I realised.
Ibanez RG1570 (06) LTD Truckster (07) Fender USA Standard Strat (97) Blackstar HT5s ,TC Polytune, SHO Clone, Russian Muff pi, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall Reflector, MXR 10 Band EQ
hmmm ok well i guess i will have to just leave it n pay the charges....

its a chorus pedal thats costing me £128 so with the VAT and added charges it will still be cheaper than buying it from GAK.... not by much but its still money saved

so looks like my NPD thread will only be 3 pedals long instead of 4 =(

look out for the thread next week =) should be epic, probably going to get flamed for a couple of choices but they are all new toys for me =)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Well just remember that you are going to need a different power supply. Factor that into you calculations.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well just remember that you are going to need a different power supply. Factor that into you calculations.

it will still be a 9v wont it? so it will run off my DC brick (its not a dunlop brick but its exactly the same)
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Last time I imported something good from the states(My PRS) it worked out as 22% on top. 17.5% VAT plus 4.5% customs fees.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
assume about 20-25% plus about a tenner for the customs charge. So about £180 or so total. EDIT: that's assuming fx pedals fall under the same rate as guitars, which they might not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JoePerry4life
When I import things from the states if it has a high value I pay 13% roughly. I'm in canada though so it may be different for you.

Me too!
I'm from Canada!!
I ****ING LOVE CANADA!
Just not duty
..I was watching my death.
Resurrecting an old thread here but it's relevant.

So I've had problems getting some pedals here in the UK so am looking to by them from PGS in the States.

Malekko Chorus ($140) + Diamond Comp ($199) + Malekko Chicklet ($120) = $459.

PGS say they have free international shipping for orders over $400 so I think I'm safe on shipping.

Having read the awful HMRC Customs website I've been able to glean from the mess there that I should expect to pay just over 20% in taxes of various kinds.

Dave Frenzy: did you go through with this in the end? If so what did you have to pay.

Anyone else: does that sound about right?

I've done my price assessment based on paying 25% in tax and it still looks good to me, but was just wondering if anyone had recent experience in this (or dealing with PGS).

PS. I don't mind if the price works out as the 'same' as I would expect to pay in the UK as I cannot really find these pedals over here. As an example for the Diamond my best bet would be shipping it in from Ireland which will cost me €215 (£183, or $300).

And I've emailed PGS about this.
The frustrating fact regarding import taxes for small items such as pedals is that they are not consistent. I've heard people being ripped off by dodgy duty officers, and I've heard of others, from the same country and with items of similar value, pay nothing at all in the way of taxes.

I know that myself, here in Ireland, I rarely ever pay taxes on pedals. Not because I request the package to be marked as a Gift or as a Warranty Return (for which you pay no taxes), but because my postman never asks me for the money. The only time I ever had to pay taxes was when I wasn't able to collect the package at my door (no one was home) and was foreced to collect it from the post-office depot.

Which tells me that I simply have a helpful postman.

To be honest, taxes on an item worth £130 isn't going to be very much. You'll be looking at maybe £20-30. Sometimes it's not worth buying from America when it's a product you can find anywhere else, such as a Crybaby or a Boss PS-3. The only stuff I buy from America are things that I either cannot afford over here, or things that are simply not available on this side of the pond.

edit: I reposted my comment.
I bought a DL4 and had to pay £60 :/
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

I've no idea, i dont think it went on a percentage tbh :/
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Quote by Duv
On the above: my friend's mum works for HMRC and she's going to give me a proper assessment on what I should expect to pay.

I will post my findings in due course. Hopefully it will be illustrative for others too.

She said no tax is due. If it is demanded it can be claimed back as a rebate.