Hi guys.

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, and if it's not I apologize! I just read an article posted here, "Making Your Bassist Happy", and there was something about the frequency of the D String. It got me thinking, if you played the same D (pitchwise) on different strings, would the frequency still be the same or would there be differences?
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
The frequency would be the same BUT the timbre would be different, cause of the different gauge string and wondings and shit...

ya dig dawg?
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Ahh okay. I was a bit confused, because I was sure that all the frequencies would be the same, but obviously if you play the same note on different strings, there was a difference in sound quality. Thanks!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
You have to understand that you are not perfectly playing only one single frequency when you're playing that D note. There are many harmonics present. Playing the A note might be 440 Hertz primarily but some portion of the energy resides in 880Hz and 1320Hz and so on, and this is only ideally! You should hook up your guitar to an oscilloscope if you ever have the opportunity, playing a certain note doesn't look like an ideal sine wave at all!

Playing it on a thicker string will have more energy "concentrated" into the lower frequencies. If you are really interested in the topic you should look up some things about fourier analysis.
^This.
Most of the frequencies would be the same, but because of the differences in string gauge and the shortened length, not all of the harmonics would be represented exactly the same. Thats why pretty much everything around the 17-24th frets on the low E sounds crap