Hi, I am trying to practice chords and when it comes to say a C and you aren't supposed to be playing the 6th string, do most people mute that string with their thumb or just not play it? I am finding it easier not to play it but would you recommend muting it (because I guess if you're trying to play fast songs later on...?) Thanks
(i'm still learning myself), i've always just not played the top string, i don't use my thumb when playing, and haven't been told to mute the top string ever, so i don't. I think it's just better to play the 5 strings without muting because control over your strumming is most important, Speed you gain within time. If you have trouble strumming, brace your pinky against a part of the pick guard , it helps your hand with coordination. (you'll learn to take it away later.)
You should start using your thumb whilst playing so it means later on you can start practising some Hendrix techniques. This will really open up your playing whether you like Him (capital H for the big man) or not.
Depends. When you'll be rocking on stage you'll probably find it easier to mute it. It's not that hard ya know. But you could also play the G note on it. THat would also be a C chord.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Either way works.

The "correct" way to play guitar is to play with your thumb on the back of the neck. If you want to play classical guitar, this is how you should continue to play. A lot of really technical teachers will also make you play this way.
However, as Ghefly and Kozlic pointed out, there are times when you may want to use your thumb. Some players like to use their thumb to mute unwanted strings, and other guitarists even use their thumb to fret notes on the low E string. Hendrix used his thumb extensively for fretting notes, as does John Frusciante. This technique allows you to fret the root note of a chord with your thumb, leaving your other 4 fingers free for playing melody over that note. This is a more advanced technique, though.
Since you're just starting out (I'm assuming this, sorry if I'm wrong), I'd focus on keeping your thumb at the back of the neck. To me it requires more finger strength, dexterity, and accuracy to play this way. Eventually you may want to experiment with your thumb. I personally use both techniques interchangeably, sometimes switching my thumb from the back of the neck, to muting a string, to fretting a string, etc. all in the same chord progression. I also have very large hands, which allows me to wrap my thumb around the neck easily. Other people with smaller hands may have a tough time with this. It really depends on the chord you're playing, what you want to do with the chord, and what you're more comfortable with.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Yo could mute it or just practice playing the five strings but try not top play that open string on top because it can make your C chord sound a little worse. Another way to play it without muting it is to put your ring finger on the 3rd fret of the low e and then put your pinky on the 3rd fret on the a string. This will give you a C chord with a G in the bass.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S