Alright folks, I've got a dilemma on my hands: I started playing at the start of Summer, but in early July, I improved drastically, being able to play songs, and have built up a library of blues songs I can play end to end. I've been interested in purchasing a cheaper guitar for my birthday or christmas, such as an SG or Danelectro 59 reissue. The issue is, a friend of mine, who has been playing for a couple years, suggest I wait a 1-2 years to improve, learn scales and such. However, he still admires me for my skill at such an early stage. I have 2 options:

>I could expand my collection and purchase a new guitar (250-350 price range).
>Listen to my friend, improve, and purchase something in a year or 2.

Any thoughts?
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Listen to my friend, improve, and purchase something in a year or 2.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Thanks fellas, I currently have a Dean Vendetta XM, it's okay, it just doesn't do much for me, considering it was a starter guitar.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Only you can know when you're ready to move on. If you feel like your guitar is holding you back/it doesn't feel good to you, then it's time to upgrade.

I wouldn't be surprised... I had a Vendetta XM a while ago, and I got rid of it pretty fast. The thing just fell to pieces on me, and I finally got sick of fixing it over and over again.

If you want to do a serious upgrade, it might be wise to save up a bit more money though. Your choice. Have you been to a music store? Do you have any idea of what you might want?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've been to guitar center twice, and I've already had to deal with the jack falling apart on me twice, it's loose now too. I'm interested in a firebird, or a Danelectro 59 reissue, which I've tried.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf