OK, the way I see it this is either the best or the worst idea I've ever had. I have a Bugera 6262 combo. It sounds great, but it's combo-ness has resulted in some unwelcome tube rattle. I also think that the open back is causing some loss of low-mid frequencies. So, my idea is to take the brains out of the combo and insert them in a separate enclosure.

This brings me to issue number 1: The amp would have to be upside down. I've seen this before with smaller amps like the V55 but we're talking about 35 pounds of weight at least. Would I have to use any special kind of joints to make sure that the plywood can support the weight?

And now for issue number 2: I'm going to have an open backed cab with a large hole in the front. I know that people like ported cabs or open backed cabs but I've never heard of both at the same time.

Final issue: Building the damn thing. What tools do I need for the job? How much do they cost? Where do I get them? How do I put it together if I have everything? Where do I buy tolex / grille cloth / rubber feet / corners / handles / piping?

Thanks for putting up with my beginner-ness if you decide to help out.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Why not just disconnect the speaker in the combo, and use a cab?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by LessThanLuke
I stopped reading after the words "Bugera" and "sounds great" were used anywhere near each other.

We can't all afford the boutique stuff. Or even the not boutique stuff. Plus you've got about half the GG&A forum to disagree with you on that point.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by LessThanLuke
I stopped reading after the words "Bugera" and "sounds great" were used anywhere near each other.

My experience with Bugera amps would support this statement.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
And mine would not. Look, are you going to help me out or not?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quick question, why would the amp (by this i presume you mean the amp head) need to be upside down?
Quote by Instrumania
Quick question, why would the amp (by this i presume you mean the amp head) need to be upside down?

I'm taking it out of a combo where the tubes face down, so the tubes would need to be facing down in the head unless I want all the labeling on the knobs to be upside down also.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

OK, to clear up the confusion - I want to do this:

With my combo. Fancy tolex not included.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

You can mount the rack at the top of the head like that no problem. use 18mm (3/4") plywood, which is plenty strong enough. build your outer box, then fix the rack part to that, and build a shelf (with strips of plywood) on each side of the box internally, to just hold the rack up. it should bold through the wood through the top of the box anyway.

also check out modulus amplification on ebay, who sells pretty much everything in terms of cabinet accessories that you could need. i bought all the corner covers, handle etc for £20.
Last edited by Instrumania at Aug 6, 2010,
OK, thanks for that. Where can I find tutorials that cover the actual building of the box? Also, my tools right now are limited to a drill and a gigantic hand saw that's not exactly suitable for precision work.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

if you're buying sheets of plywood from a builder's merchant, they may be able to cut down your plywood with a bench saw/skill saw if you ask them nicely. and to your measurements of course.

in terms of turotials, there are quite a few different posts and run-throughs out there, have a search on google, look through a few until you get the general idea, then start measuring up dimensions for your own project.
Okay, well building a box for a head should be fairly simple, especially because you can use screws so you don't have to worry about strength that much.

As an example, let us say that your dimensions are 20" wide by 16" tall by 10" deep. You take your sheet of 3/4" or similar plywood, and mark off each of the 6 pieces, which are the top, bottom, left, right, front, and back. Cut them each out using your hand saw, and then use sand paper to perfect your cuts. Take your drill, and attach the whole thing using box joints, i.e sticking one end against the other and screwing them together. You can even use glue here if you want to make sure it is extra strong.

Then when you are all done that, you are going to have to create an opening in the front for the amp controls to go through. With your tool selection, your best bet would be to take your drill and the biggest bit you can find, and just drill a ton of holes. Then, use sand paper to smooth the edges.

As far as hardware, tolex, ect, most of that can be ordered off of Ebay or Amazon. I found that local craft stores tend to carry fake leather, which is basically tolex. I would say it is safe to assume you would spend probably in the range of $60 on this project. $25 for the plywood, $5 for screws/glue/bits, $15 for tolex, and $15 on corners/rubber feet.
Gear:
Schecter Revenger 7-String
Bugera V5
MXR 10-Band EQ
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Crybaby Wah
Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus