Short story: I am wondering if there is much difference in 'slinky-ness' in acoustic string brands? Looking for something that bends easy, and might give me some better action.

I used to play acoustic exclusively for several years and never found string tension to be an issue. Since resuming guitar after a couple of decades, I now play primarily electrics, and am hoping I can make my acoustics a little easier to play.

I'm aware of the relationship between nut height, bridge height, relief, etc. These things have already been tweaked to a rather fine degree. I'm now looking beyond the guitar at possible product suggestions.

TIA!
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
thinner strings? I know acoustics are normally strung up with 13's, cause they call 11's really light. but i swear D'addarios make acoustic 9's. i've bought a pack of strings for my friend's acoustic a long time ago (about a year or so) and they gave me D'addario acoustic 9's, so, yeah. thinner strings may do the trick.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I play 9s on most of my electrics, but my acoustics have 12s. that's about average. they don't bend so much. If you want to play acoustic like Gilmour sometimes does, then you'll need 10s or even lighter, but they're quite uncommon. I tried light strings, but was pretty underwhelmed with the sound of them. I use Martin 12s now, and they're great. getting too light strings on an acoustic won't really help you at all.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Martin FX (Flexible Core) are supposedly much 'slinkier' than the average acoustic string. To be honest, I haven't had a chance to use them. I recently made a switch from 12's to 11's on my acoustic and I can already tell a difference in how easy it is to bend the strings. Granted, it's still nowhere near as easy as on an electric, but its a step in the direction.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
round core strings are more flexible than hex core strings. i hear that dr sunbeams are very flexible. i find tomastik plectrums to be very flexible, but also weird. i often use d'addario 10's, which are extra lights, to make my playing much easier, and my husband uses them on all his guitars, but sometimes using very soft strings will require re-tweaking of your truss rod.
You can still buy "silk & steel" strings, which were often used by old folkie players especially on fragile vintage instruments.
They have a noticeably soft feel.

Unfortunately, they also have comparatively little energy.

You have to have sufficient mechanical energy to "drive" the guitar in order to get a good sound. Most larger (dreadnought and jumbo) instruments respond better with medium-gauge strings these days.
Smaller, "O" or "OM" sized instruments might work well with lights.

So, there's tradeoffs. Good acoustic sound?....Or ease of play?
Quote by patticake
round core strings are more flexible than hex core strings. i hear that dr sunbeams are very flexible. i find tomastik plectrums to be very flexible, but also weird. i often use d'addario 10's, which are extra lights, to make my playing much easier, and my husband uses them on all his guitars, but sometimes using very soft strings will require re-tweaking of your truss rod.

Sorry to Jack, but;

Patticake, did you get my PM?

Sorry again TS.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Skeet - just checked at the top of the page and i have: Private Messages: 0 Unread. so somehow your pm didn't get sent. that's happened here before, btw.

Quote by Skeet UK
Sorry to Jack, but;

Patticake, did you get my PM?

Sorry again TS.
Quote by patticake
Skeet - just checked at the top of the page and i have: Private Messages: 0 Unread. so somehow your pm didn't get sent. that's happened here before, btw.

This was sent via the other method. Click on your name by your Avatar, then top right click on My Profile. Then look at your messages (on left).

If you cant find it, send me a message and I will forward it over.

That is if you don't mind

Sorry to continue jacking, TS
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for Martin FX and round core (vs. hex core) strings.

I had gotten a good deal on a low end guitar, and I really notice a difference in the action compared to ol' Betsy (which is a 80ish MIJ Vantage).

Thanks for the info.

...And no problem on the hijacks
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an