Hi UG, this is more of a "Am I doing this right?" type thread; sorry if it is in the wrong section.

Anyways, I have 2 questions about the way I practise and I hope you can tell me if it is right or wrong.

First question- Is it OK to practise guitar solos or fast passages with a slowed down recording, or do I have to use a metronome?

Second question- Is it OK if I never practise (electric guitar) with an amp? I always play unplugged and only start playing with an amp when theres like a week to a performance, to see if the sound I want comes through.

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes.
2. Yes and no. You will a different sound unplugged obviously, and this can change your technique to suit playing unplugged which you don't want for gigs.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Sure it's OK.

But I would still play along with a metronome on a regular basis if you can. It just helps develop you sense of timing and tempo in general, and there should be times when you do not just play along with a recording, so I would do both.

I practice without an amp all the time. or just a low volume clean sound. It's a good thing. Just don't become too unfamiliar with your performing sound... after all that's what people are gonna hear when you gig. Practice performing in some of your time.
1. Yes, but the bare metronome is good to practice to as well, as there are many sounds in a recording that can cover up your possible lack of timing.

2. Basically what seemeel said. Practicing unplugged can be good, but at the same time it's not going to really allow you to hear excess noise and force yourself to learn to mute, for example.
Thanks a bunch folks. I never practise with an amp because, well the amp is rubbish haha. But I'll try to bear with it. Thanks again!
I always practiced with the clean setting on amps, then i found i was off when I'd play with gain in a live situation. Mostly strings ringing out and other sounds that gain situations pickup. I started practicing with the amp set the way I would use it live (with bearable volume of course) and it has corrected. I'd spend most of your time (over 50%) practicing how you'd play live, but playing unplugged or with clean amp settings can be beneficial as well.
Quote by TheHammer84
I always practiced with the clean setting on amps, then i found i was off when I'd play with gain in a live situation. Mostly strings ringing out and other sounds that gain situations pickup. I started practicing with the amp set the way I would use it live (with bearable volume of course) and it has corrected. I'd spend most of your time (over 50%) practicing how you'd play live, but playing unplugged or with clean amp settings can be beneficial as well.

The thing is though, since my past band split up, I don't do gigs anymore. Don't think I will as well, since college is coming up.