Hey guys. I finally sold the last of my bass rig and am planning on buying a used Gallien Krueger MB210 or MB212 combo. Im going to be playing bass in a metal band with some musically experienced college guys, so I reckon Ill need a pretty loud amp. My question is this. If I get the 210 model It will only put out 350 watts by itsself, but I can later (much later) buy a separate 210 cab to pair with it and get the full 500 watts, but would that be louder than the 500 watt 212 combo? If so, would it be louder by a very noticeable amount? Also, being in a metal band, Would I need the 500 watts at first, or would 350 do for the time being? Lets assume this is a moderately loud band.

Thanks, guys.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
350 will be fine for now im in a metal band myself using a 125 watt guitar head and i rarely go past 6 on it, id say get it now and later get the full 500.
Thanks guys.
On a side note, does anyone know any codes or coupons to get me some money off the order?
Ide say get the 210 and then add a cab to it if you need to go louder.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
I noticed that you have a MB 210. How do you like it?
Quote by c3powil
I noticed that you have a MB 210. How do you like it?

I love mine. Its nice and punchy and loud and its really light weight. Has great low end. I can get a awsome metal tone using it with my warwick. I was thinking about buying a GK neo 210 cab to add to it. If you have any specific questions about it just ask. Make sure you try it before you buy it also. Not everyone likes the GK toene.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
concerning tone.....would you mind a few sound clips?
Quote by c3powil
concerning tone.....would you mind a few sound clips?

Sorry I have no way of recording or uploading a sound clip on my compter. What kind of bass are you playing right now?
Quote by Damaged Roses

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
212 will sound louder also because the 12" speakers accentuate mids
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by The1bassist06
Sorry I have no way of recording or uploading a sound clip on my compter. What kind of bass are you playing right now?

I'm playing a spector. It's ok though. I'm going to ATL to try out an amp that Im looking into on craigslist. Even if the 212 accentuate the mids, these combos are very scoop heavy.
With your spector you should be able to get a awsome metal tone.
Quote by Damaged Roses

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by TheTortured
212 will sound louder also because the 12" speakers accentuate mids

Any speaker can accentuate any frequency that it is designed to, therefore it is wrong to sugest that 12" speakers only affect certain frequencies.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by c3powil
Hey guys. I finally sold the last of my bass rig and am planning on buying a used Gallien Krueger MB210 or MB212 combo. Im going to be playing bass in a metal band with some musically experienced college guys, so I reckon Ill need a pretty loud amp. My question is this. If I get the 210 model It will only put out 350 watts by itsself, but I can later (much later) buy a separate 210 cab to pair with it and get the full 500 watts, but would that be louder than the 500 watt 212 combo? If so, would it be louder by a very noticeable amount? Also, being in a metal band, Would I need the 500 watts at first, or would 350 do for the time being? Lets assume this is a moderately loud band.

Thanks, guys.

2x10/12 combos are not going to be very loud unless you have access to DI-ing into the PA rig, it is nothing to do with 350 or 500 watts it is about speaker surface area, the more you have the more air you move.
You will do better to add a 15" cab to one of the above combos as this will give a much wider frequency handling potential.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I'm driving over to Atlanta this weekend to check out a kustom bass amp with three tens.
Quote by Lazarus.Bird
Depends on the cab! My BassBomb 212 easily puts out the volume an SVT-410 does.
Really ?
I read this first paragraph and chose to read no more

PRICE INCLUDES SPEAKERS! The BassBomb™ is 28" wide 16" deep and 18" tall. It weighs 55 pounds and comes with speakers. The BassBomb 2x12 is capable of 900 watts of pure natural bass. These are completey hand made to order for you, please inquire about wait time.
Watts is the output from the amplifier.
Sound levels measured in Decibels emit from the speaker

Put 900 watts into a pair of 12" speakers and you soon be able to heat your lounge (just before the voice coils burn out.)
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I currently own one. Plan on getting a second made and running an SVT-4 Pro to send 600W to each. The cabs have life time warranties so I assume they are quite confident the speakers stand up to the given specs.
Quote by John Swift
Really ?
Put 900 watts into a pair of 12" speakers and you soon be able to heat your lounge (just before the voice coils burn out.)

I'd assume it depended on which 12" speakers they were. if that's the manufacturer's specs, why couldn't they be right?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think