As said in title basically

I was impressed by how an Orange Rockerverb handled my cleans off my Seymour Duncan Blackout-loaded Ibanez MTM2, so I've been looking into Orange amps recently for a £400-£600 midrange head, and the Orange Dual Terror caught my eyes. I'm just going to hook it up to my speaker in my Peavey Vspypr for now till I can afford a cab.

Either that, or could any of yous recommend any other Orange valve heads or any other makes in that price range and type? I'm looking for a modern metal amp that is still versatile, basically a great clean and a great modern distortion - not neccessarily scooped though, just with clear notes and good bass really.

Also, I'm new here, so HEYY
There's a great load of videos of the Dual Terror on youtube. If I remember correctly, there's a good review from Guitar World of it there, too. Watching them should help you decide if the amp has the kind of tone you like. Of course it won't be the same as listening to the real thing, but it'll give you at least some sort of an impression on the amp. I personally like the amp's tone, and it's got quite plenty of gain on tap, but I wouldn't necessarily try to play Arch Enemy or Slipknot through it without some extra tone toys.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
You will need a pedal to boost and overdrive your gain to do modern metal. I would suggest a maxon od808 or a ibanez TS808. Those really do well with the orange amps. I have heard a tiny terror with one of these pedal that sound brutal, i wish i had the cash to run orange amps and cabs but i don't at the moment.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Hmm well I'd prefer an amp that could just produce the sounds I want on tap, as I already use a Boss Metal Core and the sound gets stale after a while.

I do like the tone however, and personally I have not tried out a Tubescreamer
Rocker 30 combo.

Done.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Actually I was looking at heads, sorry if that didn't come across clear in my post like D= but would the Rocker 30 head do for what I described?
I have the Tiny Terror, and it can do anything metal with a boost/high-output pickups. I was going to sell it for the Rocker 30, but I decided to wait for the Thunder 30 for the FX-loop.
Welcome, mate!

Although the Orange Terror amps have loads of gain, you do have to play them quite loudly - especially the Dual Terror - to reach those levels. Once you have, that distortion is then not the type of distortion most modern metal bands like Killswitch, Lamd of God, etc. use. It is bassier, thicker, more dynamic and more sludgy.

What bands do you actually play? Maybe that's exactly what you mean when you say 'modern'.
My friend's Rocker 30 doesn't have too much trouble doing high gain sounds with his TS808. But that's really not what it's designed for, nor is what it sounds best at.

For the price of a Dual Terror you are in the same neighborhood as the Jet City JCA100h or 50h head, which is basically a poor man's Soldano. If youtube is a good judge, it does cleans and hi gain tones extremely well.

EDIT: Youtube link to demo of Jet City 100H
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard
My friend's Rocker 30 doesn't have too much trouble doing high gain sounds with his TS808. But that's really not what it's designed for, nor is what it sounds best at.

Lol wut. The Rocker 30 is a darker JCM800.
Quote by boffen
Lol wut. The Rocker 30 is a darker JCM800.

I'm just telling you what my own personal experience was. No matter how I messed with it, the high gain tones I was getting were muddy and extremely feedback-prone. Tried with and without the TS808, tried it with the owner's ESP Les Paul along with my own Esquire. It just sounded better when I was doing Ac/Dc and JET than when I was playing Metallica riffs.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
The Rocker 30 sounds nothing like a JCM800 in my opinion.

I agree that it shines with stuff like JET, AC/DC, compared to Metallica.
rockerverb 100 > rocker 30 imo. Their on clearance right now though. 1399 and 1599 for the 30 and 50. I kinda want a 50.

The TT will need to be boosted. I had one for a while and it had a good amount of gain but it is a little fizzy. That's a limitation of the 2 el84s. They need to be opened up a bit for the fizz to go away.
That amp's really designed to do a mix of preamp and power-tube distortion. That's not something you really want for modern metal.

The dual terror or the rocker 30 would be a better choice. But, imo if you're looking for modern metal in that price range...a FRYETTE Deliverance 60 or 120 will be a much better choice then the tt.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ It's so strange that you'd say the Fryette amp will be in the same price range. Over here the a Fryette Memphis, for instance, is three times the price, literally, of a Tiny Terror.

By the way, have you tried a Memphis, AM? What did you think of it? I'm looking for a clean amp/jazzy amp to A/B with my Soldano. The Diezel Schmidt is still on top of the list, but those Vox clones have caught my eye, and so has the Memphis.
Oh. The TS is in Europe.

My bad. I was just basing it off US used prices.

But, you guys have easier access to diezel, engl, brunetti, orange, marshall etc etc.
I still don't think the TT is the best choice for modern metal. There's the headroom problem...though maybe a differently voiced amp could get around that.

Engl just released the 15watt gig-master.

I haven't tried the Memphis yet. Axepalace is only 30 miles from me though. I'm going to head up there at some point and just try out everything I haven't gotten a chance to play yet. They are a Fryette, Diezel, Engl, Rivera and HK dealer.

Then at some point I'm going to Matt's music near Boston to grab my seven. They are a Engl, Bogner, Diezel, Splawn, CAA dealer. I is excite. Yay.
Have any of you actually played one? With no pedals whatsoever, the amp is super heavy. Modern metal and THEN some. My OCD is now solely for lead boosts now that I have this much gain on tap. Will it do all that quietly? Not really. Will the amp do ANYTHING quietly? Again, no. It is loud, even at 7.5w through a 1x12.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
no i base my opinions solely on youtube clips.

also you own a dual terror. very different amp.
Quote by Sid McCall
Have any of you actually played one? With no pedals whatsoever, the amp is super heavy. Modern metal and THEN some. My OCD is now solely for lead boosts now that I have this much gain on tap. Will it do all that quietly? Not really. Will the amp do ANYTHING quietly? Again, no. It is loud, even at 7.5w through a 1x12.
Yeah, I have owned the Tiny Terror, and played the Dual Terror in shops.

The problem with distortion, is that it's very relative. My version of 'high gain' could be completely different to another persons' 'high gain'. That's why questions like these are so very difficult to answer; because they're entirely relative.

Some people play louder than others, thus evoking more distortion and gain. Some people hate using overdrive boxes to boost the mids and overall aggression. Some people like a very saturated, sickly mess of noise (ala Mesa Boogie, 5150), while others prefer something with more attack and precision (ala Fryette, Diezel).

Yeah, the Dual Terror is 'super heavy', but it's not saturated like a Peavey 6505+ or an ENGL Fireball is. It has a completely different voicing to the distortion. And, from my impression, that is what the TS wanted - "modern metal".

Quote by AcousticMirror
Oh. The TS is in Europe.

My bad. I was just basing it off US used prices.

But, you guys have easier access to diezel, engl, brunetti, orange, marshall etc etc.
I still don't think the TT is the best choice for modern metal. There's the headroom problem...though maybe a differently voiced amp could get around that.

Engl just released the 15watt gig-master.

I haven't tried the Memphis yet. Axepalace is only 30 miles from me though. I'm going to head up there at some point and just try out everything I haven't gotten a chance to play yet. They are a Fryette, Diezel, Engl, Rivera and HK dealer.

Then at some point I'm going to Matt's music near Boston to grab my seven. They are a Engl, Bogner, Diezel, Splawn, CAA dealer. I is excite. Yay.
Yeah, I'm very glad we have Diezel here.

ENGL, though, aren't my cup of tea, Brunetti are too hard to find and too expensive, Marshall suck ballz, and Orange are... kick ass. And besides, I live in Ireland, Orange and Marshall are the only two out of that list that are regularly in one shop or another. And if we have an ENGL somewhere, it's in Dublin, where they have no Orange's. I have to drive another 4 hours to find those.

I'd love to hear a big review of it whenever you get the chance to try it out - the Memphis that is.
Do you get access to Koch? I found a powertube ii for like 900 and I'm very very tempted.

Also, the op is talking about the dt so like I'm totally retarded.

They just replaced the rocker30 and rv50 so they should be really cheap in the olde country right now.

Here's my take on it. I'm a big believer that you can force any amp to really do anything as long as you have the right tools. The dt and tt are both great amps. However, if you have a very specific sound in mind, modern metal for example, it's better to get the right tool for the job. The dt has a lot of gain on tap. When I think modern metal I think extended range guitars, seven or more strings, and down/drop tunings. The dt will do metallica easy along with anything else in that vein. It's not the right amp for drop b finlandic progressive death metal.
IMO the Terrors have enough gain for modern metal, but are not voiced for, nor do they have the headroom for modern metal.

They'll do your stoner/doom/sludge, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by AcousticMirror
Do you get access to Koch? I found a powertube ii for like 900 and I'm very very tempted.

Also, the op is talking about the dt so like I'm totally retarded.

They just replaced the rocker30 and rv50 so they should be really cheap in the olde country right now.

Here's my take on it. I'm a big believer that you can force any amp to really do anything as long as you have the right tools. The dt and tt are both great amps. However, if you have a very specific sound in mind, modern metal for example, it's better to get the right tool for the job. The dt has a lot of gain on tap. When I think modern metal I think extended range guitars, seven or more strings, and down/drop tunings. The dt will do metallica easy along with anything else in that vein. It's not the right amp for drop b finlandic progressive death metal.
I've only ever played one Koch amp, a Studiotone II, and it was a very long time ago.

It definitely was a quality amp, but it had this really strange thick, sickly sound to it that only suited, to my ears, 80's rock. And I'm just not into that kind of thing.
Well thanks for the feedback guys! I tried out one last week in a store at shop level volume and it sounded great - full gain however... and it sounded abit crunchy. Might pop back in and ask to blast it for 10 seconds just to see if it distorts abit better at a higher volume, and sound better. Cleans were perfect though!

Besides in my sound and with my active Blackouts I don't use much gain - it's usual no higher than 3/4 on ANY gain setting.
imo the orange tone isnt really clean enough for modern metal unless you're playing stoner metal or something that doesnt really need much definition
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well I tried it and the cleans were perfect I thought... but might just be my guitar. There was a hell of a lot of definition in cleans, and even in dist - I played some kinda diminshed chord, and it sounded clean as hell o.O
Quote by j0hn0wnz
Well I tried it and the cleans were perfect I thought... but might just be my guitar. There was a hell of a lot of definition in cleans, and even in dist - I played some kinda diminshed chord, and it sounded clean as hell o.O

if thats what you think, then buy the amp for sure. just that when i played it, the amp was too flubby and smooth to handle metal gain and still stay tight, but if it sounded good to you then thats what matters.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Look into the thunder 30, its due out in a couple of weeks, and by my understanding is a bit more modernly voiced.

Though it still sounds quite thick and dark and flubby. So i still stand by what everyone else says, oranges arent really voiced for modern metal.

The clarity and tightness just isnt there.

But it depends on what metal. For rhythm parts it'd be great, lots of thickness and grunt. For blistering bright clear leads ala steve vai look somewhere else.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 14, 2010,
I love the tiny terror, it's a great little amp but not for modern metal. When I tried to get a good chugga chugga tone, it sounded like fizzy hiccups, I'd recommend the Laney gh50l, it's like a metal machine or if you need two channels the Blackstar HT 20 watter, a bogner alchemist (some ppl hate these thou) or the new Jet City 50 watter. Just my $0.02.

here's the Jet City - http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

and the Laney - http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gh50l.htm
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Tom 1.0
Rocker 30 combo.

Done.

agreed
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.