so i need a new amp i can use with a drum kit, in small gigs and in studio.

i will most likely go used.

from my research it seems a marshall jcm would best suit me. most specifically a jcm800, but theres a down side as i need a clean channel and also like having reverb but dont want to pay pedals on top.

im also only looking at combos as i dont have much space and need to transport it around.

my band plays its own songs but the sound is similar like: megadeth, iron maiden, metallica, anthrax etc. but i would also like to play trivium (who also have a big influence on the songs i write) on this amp. im thinking more british voicing.

i play both lead and rhythm, a lot of thrash, and plenty of guitar solos.

i love the sound of the bugera 1990, but its not a combo. i am also wandering about the yet to be heard magician. but mostly its mrshall jcm's.

what does the UG world recomend.

dont worry about buget , but i am hoping on finding cut priced deals used (unless i go bugera).
Last edited by jkielq91 at Aug 6, 2010,
jcm 900 has reverb doesn't it?
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
there was a few jcm800 2 channel models but most people don't like them, you could look at a jcm 2000, it's more modern but you can get it in a 2 or 3 channel variation
Bugera 1990. Why not?

EDIT: Oh, no combo version available. I see. Is a head a definite no-no?
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Last edited by The^Unforgiven at Aug 6, 2010,
Used prices vary. If you are looking at Bugeras, then you are a budget.
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Bugera 1990. Why not?

EDIT: Oh, no combo version available. I see. Is a head a definite no-no?

I can think of far more cons than pros in this scenario.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by lostjesse
jcm 900 has reverb doesn't it?

Only the JCM900 Dual Reverb has reverb. The DR has that awful opamp front end but it does have two different channels. The SL-X sounds better but only has a switchable master volume so it doesn't really have two channels, plus no reverb.
The SL-X would be better for what sound the TS is after but it does have the drawbacks I mentioned.
There are two channel JCM800s but they aren't as good as the single channel ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jkielq91
if you can recomend me a small, easily transportable cab thats loud enough to use with drums etc then i will consider it because i do love the sound of the 1990.

btw i would kind of like a varipower feature to, but its not a must.

You need to give these people some sort of budget or they can't really help you.
if you have your sights set on a JCM 800, nothing else is really doing to compare, that includes the Bugera, the JCM 2000, the 900, and everything else listed in this thread. They might sound close but not exact. I would only suggest getting a 900 if you're going to get the SL-X. I say just get the 800, they are awesome amps. For other stuff just get some pedals, maybe a volume pedal, and reverb pedal. If you're budget isn't an issue, than don't stand for getting a clone when you can get the real thing.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
i wouldnt say my heart is set on the 800, it just seems very well suited to my style.

and for the high priced amps i will be browsing used amps and am more interested in seeing which amps will suit my style if i see them. a lot of different jcm's come up regulerly on ebay. but i may also have more money to spend if i ge a new job soon.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
if you have your sights set on a JCM 800, nothing else is really doing to compare, that includes the Bugera, the JCM 2000, the 900, and everything else listed in this thread. They might sound close but not exact. I would only suggest getting a 900 if you're going to get the SL-X. I say just get the 800, they are awesome amps. For other stuff just get some pedals, maybe a volume pedal, and reverb pedal. If you're budget isn't an issue, than don't stand for getting a clone when you can get the real thing.

A JCM 900 Mk III will also do the trick. It's basically a hotrodded single channel JCM 800 with no diodes.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
yes
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by jkielq91
is a 2x12 cab about the same size as these combos?

Depends on what kind of 2x12.

A regular one, yes.

Mine is oversized and is about 3/4 the size of a 4x12.

You could maybe find a modded 2205/2210 with the channels fixed.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^^ You'd never know it wasn't a 4x12 except visually.

2x12s are more than enough IMO. The only time I can see that you would really need a 4x12 is if you absolutely needed the extra bass response, like with a cab full of greenbacks (not much low end, which a 4x12 remedies).

^ Also an option. I wouldn't use one unmodded, though, unless you were only using the gain channel.

just make sure the wattage is high enough and the ohms are correct, it would be best to have you wattage on your cab rated 1 and 1/2 times greater than your head
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx