Hey guys, so, I'm a dumbass, and up until recently didn't realize that keeping my guitar in my basement was a bad idea. I've had the guitar about 9 months, and it's been in my basement on a stand that whole time. However, recently i noticed something on the tuning pegs, and i wasn't sure what it was. I asked my guitar teacher, and he told me it was rust, but i'm not sure if that's it or not. then he asked me where I kept my guitar, and told me to move it out of the basement. So now it's sitting up in my room, but i have some problems. I think the dampness of my basement screwed up the fretboard as well as putting rust on the tuning pegs.

So my questions are:
1. Is this rust? If it is, what can i do to fix it?

2. What is this? Again, what can I do to fix it?

Sorry for bad picture quality, no memory card on my camera so I had to use my phone.
the fretboard probably needs a good cleaning, from what i can tell thats just skin on it.

and for the tuning pegs, just get some really fine steel wool and rub the rust off.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
the fretboard probably needs a good cleaning, from what i can tell thats just skin on it.

and for the tuning pegs, just get some really fine steel wool and rub the rust off.

Yeah thats what i thought about the rust. how would i go about cleaning the fretboard?
Quote by uhhhmmm
Yeah thats what i thought about the rust. how would i go about cleaning the fretboard?

loosen the strings, go buy some fretboard cleaner (it smells like pledge, but whatever..) from your local music shop, dab that on, rub it in, and you're good to go. it this electric or acoustic?
Quote by uhhhmmm

well it's actually very good to clean it once per year and lemon oil it, this will ensure that it will be able to live for many years.

this is what i use.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Guitar-Fingerboard-Conditioning-Kit-235578-i1134781.gc

it also comes with a steel wool patch that you can use to polish the frets.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
get some lemon oil for fret boards and put some on and let it dry in, then wipe of the excess, for the tuners just use some steel wool
Quote by FIamingo
loosen the strings, go buy some fretboard cleaner (it smells like pledge, but whatever..) from your local music shop, dab that on, rub it in, and you're good to go. it this electric or acoustic?

it's electric
Even though lemon oil is really popular, I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It's not meant to be used like that (imo), and it should never be used more than once a year, if that often.

I'm using this right now:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Guitar-Fingerboard-Conditioning-Kit-235578-i1134781.gc

It's really cool. Dunlop makes really good products.

Just give your guitar some TLC, and it'll be good as new.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X