I've got a really nice Korean Squier strat, SSS, made in the 90's, and it's been sitting around for ages. I've heard these guitars are even better in quality than some of the Mexican Strats we get today.

Anyway, I've been listening to alot of Iron Maiden lately, and I'm a big fan of Dave Murray's playing, so I think I might have a go at converting this strat to HSH.

So anyway, I need a pair of humbuckers, and a single coil but I think I'll just leave in the old single coil for the middle, cause I'll never use it anyway.

So anyway, most important is the bridge humbucker. What humbucker shall I buy? If possible, it would be really good if this humbucker could be available in white.

Oh yeah, and know hot rails or stacked single coil sized pickups, cause I don't like the look of them.

So suggest me a humbucker guys, and I'll probably buy two, one for the bridge one for the neck.

PS: I play through a Marshall VS100 100 watt half stack, just in case it influences decisions
maybe you should check out single sized humbuckers?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Yeah sorry man, I want to create an actual HSH strat, with the looks as well, I just would prefer the actual humbuckers for aesthetics.
Quote by kerkhammet
Yeah sorry man, I want to create an actual HSH strat, with the looks as well, I just would prefer the actual humbuckers for aesthetics.

ohh alright i see
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by ProgFolk12
Gat a good amp, then worry about pickups

look he wants to swap pickups, i hate how everyone here on UG will never give an actual answer to the question. he wants new pickups, tell him which pickups to get, dont tell him to get a (peavey vyper, schecter c-1, etc)
Lets jump in a pool

Dave Murray uses Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.
Here's his gear: [link]
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by I am wet
look he wants to swap pickups, i hate how everyone here on UG will never give an actual answer to the question. he wants new pickups, tell him which pickups to get, dont tell him to get a (peavey vyper, schecter c-1, etc)

This isn't bandwagoning. This is common sense. Why would you change the pickups when you're using a low end marshall? It wont make any difference. Sure, if TS is happy with his amp, then some humbuckers will give a bit more meat for what he wants, but please think about this, would you spend good money on pickups when your using that amp. TS wanted advice. I gave him the best advice I could think of, even if it wasn't necessarily answering his question.
Actually man, I may be getting a new amp later this year, so lets leave the amp thing out of this. There is a distinct difference between the sound of singles and humbuckers on my amp, so yeah, I do want humbuckers in this strat.
Super Distortion is classic maiden sound.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Dave-Murray-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-105179758-i1443797.gc

Dave Murrary Strat uses a SD, Vintage Single Coin and a PAF.

So... Yeah
Ok which one of those humbuckers is the bridge?

I might just get this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390058199244&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I could install that, and then when I can afford the humbucker that's in the bridge on the Dave Murray strat get it and it'll be easy to replace. The difficult bit is the routing and also installing a whole new scratchplate with new pickups and everything.
What about routing the body for it, man? I know most Strats are already routed for HSS, but you'd have to rout the neck section as well to fit a humbucker in there. that's a load of work, and money, unless you can do it yourself.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Well I'm not sure about this yet, but what I've heard about these 90's Korean Squiers is that they have what's called a swimming pool routing under the plate. This is just a huge rectangle, so you can do anything from SSS to HHH if you want to. If thats the case, no routing will be required. If not, then is it really that expensive? I was talking to a guy about this who works at a local guitar store, he says he knows a guy who could do the whole job for me for a good price, like £25 or something

What do yoy think?
Quote by kerkhammet
Well I'm not sure about this yet, but what I've heard about these 90's Korean Squiers is that they have what's called a swimming pool routing under the plate. This is just a huge rectangle, so you can do anything from SSS to HHH if you want to. If thats the case, no routing will be required. If not, then is it really that expensive? I was talking to a guy about this who works at a local guitar store, he says he knows a guy who could do the whole job for me for a good price, like £25 or something

What do yoy think?

Maybe the old ones did have the swimming pool, I'm not entirely sure.

Go for it man. What's the worst that could happen, y'know?
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by LoudLove5150
What about routing the body for it, man? I know most Strats are already routed for HSS, but you'd have to rout the neck section as well to fit a humbucker in there. that's a load of work, and money, unless you can do it yourself.

get a router and spend 10 minutes

hell you could chisel out the wood if you wanted, its not rocket science.

make the hole bigger. simple.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON