I'm going to be replacing my tubes on my amp, and was wondering what I could do to change the sound with the pre-amp tubes. I know there's some mixing and matching you can do, but I've never messed with it so I don't know what tubes will what.

Also, I was thinking about changing my power tubes because they're still just the rebranded Fender Sovtek EL84s, and I didn't know if I should think about changing them as well.

I did a little reading and saw that some people like to put a 12AY7 in the first slot and have two 12AX7s in the last two slots, but I don't what sort of difference it makes. As far as power tubes go, I don't know really anything about what would sound good on here.
12ay7 and 12at7, are lower gain 12ax7's. the have a slightly different tone. I noticed a little volume loss when I put a 12at7 in my amp. Power tubes make a difference too.
I like to use JJ/Tesla for power and preamp. Tungsols are also good preamp tubes.
Quote by mcamp1230
12ay7 and 12at7, are lower gain 12ax7's. the have a slightly different tone. I noticed a little volume loss when I put a 12at7 in my amp. Power tubes make a difference too.
I like to use JJ/Tesla for power and preamp. Tungsols are also good preamp tubes.

Thanks, I didn't really know which brands were good or not. Any goods olaces to order them from? I've seen a few people recommend Doug's Tubes.