I have been listening to Antoine Dufour, Don Ross, Craig D'andrea, and those guys for about 2 years now, slowly learning their songs by buying the tabs from their website. That isn't the problem, I know how to play their songs. The question I have is HOW ON EARTH do I learn to play like that? I have been playing for 5 years, mostly electric, until now. I have no idea where to start on how to write music like that, as far as the tunings, and the techniques, and I cannot find anyone who can tell me anything useful about the genre. I REALLY want to play like them, it would be my life's dream to play like that effortlessly enjoying the guitar the way it was meant to be enjoyed. PLEASE help
Quote by Danielj94
I have been listening to Antoine Dufour, Don Ross, Craig D'andrea, and those guys for about 2 years now, slowly learning their songs by buying the tabs from their website. That isn't the problem, I know how to play their songs. The question I have is HOW ON EARTH do I learn to play like that? I have been playing for 5 years, mostly electric, until now. I have no idea where to start on how to write music like that, as far as the tunings, and the techniques, and I cannot find anyone who can tell me anything useful about the genre. I REALLY want to play like them, it would be my life's dream to play like that effortlessly enjoying the guitar the way it was meant to be enjoyed. PLEASE help

Has nothing to do with genre, technique and experience. Everyone, or at least some, have their own way of enjoying guitar.
Right, I enjoy playing that kind of music, but I would absolutely love to know how to write that style of music, I just need to know the basics of the genre
im sure he wrote it just like any normal song then just figured out how to use his right hand for tapping and all that flashy stuff afterwards? idk.. seems like you just need a beautiful melody and a walking bass line.

PSN: reldask
Last edited by reldask at Aug 6, 2010,
Songwriting improves with experience, since you know a couple of his songs, you should be aware of which licks, scales and progressions he uses. I for one cannot write a jazz melody, while symphonic,power and melodic metal is easy for me as I've experience with it.
Okay once again I'm basically looking for the basics of fingerstyle, like I said, Tunings and Techniques, Licks don't apply here
Just learn some songs and licks by well-known players, and you'll start to understand how chords and melodies are formed within the context of percussive guitar playing.

EDIT: It would help you a lot if you had access to a guitar that is set-up very well and has soundhole pickup, since that is what most of those guitarists use.
Last edited by Echoplex at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Echoplex
Just learn some songs and licks by well-known players, and you'll start to understand how chords and melodies are formed within the context of percussive guitar playing.

That's another thing I was looking for, the specific genre name. thank you
You rob his hands.....

Seriously though, I don't know what genre they play
But I would say just keep learning their songs and analyze them
See what chords keep coming up, what sort of licks, techniques etc
When learning acoustic percussive songs it takes a great deal of patience and hard work to play like Andy McKee. I started playing like him last summer and I spent my whole summer learning his style and techniques.

A year later it was so worth all the hard work and what i put my fingers through to play like him. You wont learn it over night.

If i were you i would take some of his videos and slow them down to get the movements accurate. I did that then experiment with different open tunings, you'll be surprised how much better they sound than standard.

This is one of those styles a guitar teacher cant really help you with.(they can help with the fingerstyle part,but thats it) I taught myself how to do it.

Take things one step at a time and you'll be there before you know it.

By the way check out Erik Mongrain, Justin King, and Stefono Barone.

Hope that helps a little bit

If i were you i would take some of his videos and slow them down to get the movements accurate.

This is off topic I guess but how exactly do you do that? Is there a program you can download or something? I guess I'm assuming you're talking about Youtube or some other online format though and not like a DVD(which you can obviously slow down).
Quote by metallicaM.O.P.

If i were you i would take some of his videos and slow them down to get the movements accurate.

This is off topic I guess but how exactly do you do that? Is there a program you can download or something? I guess I'm assuming you're talking about Youtube or some other online format though and not like a DVD(which you can obviously slow down).

Download Audacity, and the lame that is on their site, import the MP3 you're trying to learn and slow it down using one of the tools. Just google Audacity, there are tutes on Youtube on how to slow it down if you don't understand from what I said.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
That helped alot, I have audacity already. I've tried experimenting in open tunings but never thought of just slowing down the songs, kind of dumb on my part, lol. Thank you
Quote by Danielj94
That helped alot, I have audacity already. I've tried experimenting in open tunings but never thought of just slowing down the songs, kind of dumb on my part, lol. Thank you

Anytime man

Now if you want to download the video to see what Andy is doing I use;

http://www.mediaconverter.org/index.php#

They were having problems with youtube, but once you have the video, open it in a VIDEO EDITING to slow it down to see what Andy is doing. only use audacity if you want the audio itself.

Anyway Andy was recently in a Guitar world video lesson. And he explained how to play Drifting and it is a very useful lesson

Heres the preview for it because I cant find it anywhere online, but it is available on the August 2010 disc of guitar world(which i do have)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8-7kVIG-zA

I hope that helps, I know what you're going through and it can be a pain to learn a new style like this
Quote by metallicaM.O.P.

They were having problems with youtube, but once you have the video, open it in a VIDEO EDITING to slow it down to see what Andy is doing. only use audacity if you want the audio itself.

Can you slow the video down with windows movie maker? I downloaded the video that I need but I just can't figure out how to slow it down and the only editing software I have right now is movie maker.
Quote by hairmetal90
Can you slow the video down with windows movie maker? I downloaded the video that I need but I just can't figure out how to slow it down and the only editing software I have right now is movie maker.

I dont see why not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P192pXPJTNg&feature=related

That video should explain how to slow it down for movie maker.

And this will work with windows media player which you also have.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/PlayFaster_how_to.aspx
my recommendation is that u must become master of standard tuning .. mastering with major minor and pentatonic scales ... make melody as deeper as u can ..

after that go for open tuning .. actually the special fact of candyrat guitarists is they play in alternate and open tuning mostly.. their tuning is different ..

john butler , andy mckee, craig they play songs by opening the regular tune

dont follow candyrat artists .. u can follow michael hedges only ....

he is the founder of tapping with harmonic slap and slapping on different parts of guitar body..

tc

best of luck
My recommendation is that you stop bumping ancient threads.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com