So, our bands playing its first real gig at this club for this dio memorial thing. thing is, its a heavy metal fest, and we as a band arent even really into metal. plus, we've got the WORST time slot to perform in (8 AM). My question to you all: Do we still do it?
Quote by ShiningEntity
Issue would be, if you back out, you probably have no chance of getting a gig there again. Why did you sign up for a heavy metal Dio tribute when you aren't a metal band -.-?

+1
Quote by ShiningEntity
Issue would be, if you back out, you probably have no chance of getting a gig there again. Why did you sign up for a heavy metal Dio tribute when you aren't a metal band -.-?

This.
just play to the best of your ability and try to give your best show and hope there are people in the crowd that like more than just metal.
Quote by ShiningEntity

+2

Nicely done.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Aaronleehunt
8 AM???? What the hell???

Good point, 8 am gig sounds as metal as that guys band.
Quote by ShiningEntity
What's this, I just gave good advice that people are agreeing with...

Wow

You did it kid, you did it.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Well don't worry, surely you won't have more than 10 persons watching you if it's actually an 8 am gig.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Quote by Silveroon009
Well don't worry, surely you won't have more than 10 persons watching you if it's actually an 8 am gig.

Right, don't worry about it. My old bands first gig was at a blues festival (we were a metal band). Granted we had like 50 people watching, but nobody seemed to mind.
Yeah. but were in india, and everyone heres quite crazy. really likely to be quite full right from when the gates are open.. Plus the place we're playing at offered to give us a headlining slot later, if we play the one we're stuck with now. < didnt mention that earlier..
i assume since your in a band you have learned songs before
why have you not thought of just playing a few metal covers to get you through the gig
and don't say 'we're not into metal though' cause if this your first gig you better get into it or your ****ed
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Redshark24
So, our bands playing its first real gig at this club for this dio memorial thing. thing is, its a heavy metal fest, and we as a band arent even really into metal. plus, we've got the WORST time slot to perform in (8 AM). My question to you all: Do we still do it?

Yes. What are you, a rock star or some shit? No, you're an unsigned band struggling to make it out of your pitiful hometown. You quit your bitching this instant and take whatever gig you can get.
People will still hear your music and you'll get your name out there. It doesn't matter if your not metal, each band will differ anyway. Chances are if it starts at 8am and if it ends at night there'll be another non-metal band playing. Expecially if they got you guys in. I wouldn't worry about it.

My band plays pop-punk. We opened for a death metal band the other day (lol) at their ep release. I wasn't expecting the crowd to get fully into since they looked brutal but we held our own and it went fine!
I actually saw one of my favourite local bands for the first time at a festival around 10am or 11am in the morning at a festival. Basically the audience was me and my mate rocking out, and the band was having a fun time on stage playing around because there was practically no audience.

Also another local band won a slot at a recent festival, then were placed so early that the gates didn't open in time and they ended up entertaining the workers setting up the bars, and other bands whom had arrived early. The story was passed around locally and people came to see them again out of curiousity, and other bands thought they were such great sports that they got support slots with them later.

As said above, you're not a rockstar, and you don't have any bargaining power to demand what time you'll play. But that said, it's not just the audience you should impress - the promoters may take a liking to you and use you for future gigs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Shayne777
i assume since your in a band you have learned songs before
why have you not thought of just playing a few metal covers to get you through the gig
and don't say 'we're not into metal though' cause if this your first gig you better get into it or your ****ed

Don't do this if you're playing originals. You don't want them to think you're a cover band.