I was looking to buy a Laney LV-300 Twin and it has a single pre-amp tube which is used only on drive 1 & 2. So here comes my question... How long do you think that would last?

Also, if you want to you can suggest me an amp- preferably a solid-state and has an FX Loop. i have a budget of around £350, give or take some. Thanks :P
Gear
Ibanez RG350EX
Encore E9
BB Blaster

I like Llamas
Last edited by lifeordeath09 at Aug 6, 2010,
That tube would last very very long.

1) What music do you play?
2) Band or home use?
3) Is a used amp an option?

Now, why does it have to be solid state? If you are going to answer with complaints about reliability: That's a load of bullcrap. Whoever told you that doesn't know shit all.

The way the amp market is structured is that you have tube amps in every price category, and solid states as either beginner stuff or the high-end modellers like a Line6 Vetta, Digitech Eleven or an Axe FX, with barely anything in-between. 350 quid is the medium-price segment. Solid states dominated that segment maybe ten years ago, but better sounding tube models have taken their place by now.
So, you can't afford the high-end solid states, but you can afford better stuff than beginner amps. Which leaves us with mid-priced tube amps. I recommend you get one of these.
I play mainly alternative rock (i.e. Foo Fighters).
It is for home and band use.

The reason for wanting a solid state is so I don't have to replace the tubes. 'Cos I'm virtually skint most of the time.
Gear
Ibanez RG350EX
Encore E9
BB Blaster

I like Llamas
replacing a preamp tube is super super easy. and you can get them for around $8-10. they just come in and out, no other adjusting needed. And they last for a long time, could last anywhere from a year to 30 years depending on how much they're used. You won't have to worry about changing the 12ax7 in a hybrid tube very often. Preamp tubes last a lot longer than power tubes in my experience

i say you should get the laney, they're good amps. and a hybrid will sound better than most solid states
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
replacing a preamp tube is super super easy. and you can get them for around $8-10. they just come in and out, no other adjusting needed. And they last for a long time, could last anywhere from a year to 30 years depending on how much they're used. You won't have to worry about changing the 12ax7 in a hybrid tube very often. Preamp tubes last a lot longer than power tubes in my experience

i say you should get the laney, they're good amps. and a hybrid will sound better than most solid states

Thanks man I'm going to buy it then :P
Gear
Ibanez RG350EX
Encore E9
BB Blaster

I like Llamas
Quote by lifeordeath09
Thanks man I'm going to buy it then :P

God no, that Laney is mediocre at best. Most hybrids are barely any better than pure solid states. Handbananas talking out of his ass as usual. You can afford better stuff.

Replacing tubes is not an issue at all. You only replace the power tubes every two years or so if you use the amp a lot. Most people don't need to replace them that often even. With a price of 15€ for a good power amp tube (6L6 or EL34, even less for EL84) and 7€ (or more) for a good preamp tube, it's not an issue. I'm always skinned as well and I still use tube amps. The few extra bucks ever few years are worth it.

For 350€ you can get a Laney VC or GH, both of which will blow the LV out of the water.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 6, 2010,
obviously he probably doesn't want to spend a lot of money, especially if he's buying a used amp, tubes might need replacing. i'm giving him what he asked for.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
He doesn't need to spend a lot of money. A VC30 can be found for under 300 quid used. I got my GH50L for a little above 300€ (though admittedly, it needs a cab). Both can be found in the UK very easily for a good price. Both are also miles ahead of the LV.

Why would I recommend a mediocre amp when good ones are available for the same money or a tiny bit more? I've bought five used tube amps so far and only once had a bad tube. 7€ fixed it. Anything might be broken if you buy used, be it tube or solid state. The risk is small though.

I don't get why you keep recommending hybrids. Most are terribly overpriced for what they are, used or new.
its really hard to say anything without knowing his budget
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
haha wow didn't even realize, yeah im assuming thats about $500 usd roughly. with that much of a budget i wouldn't suggest buying a hybrid. get an all tube amp. sorry for the confusion
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Skint or not, if you're shopping in the mid-range then you're shopping for a tube amp. Mid-range SS only exists to feed that demographic who've bought into the hoopty that tube amps are expensive to maintain.

I've owned half a dozen tube amps and never had any issues whatsoever. Hell, my buddy's 5150 just got it's first power tube change in 11 years - that being said, it was a year or two past due.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...