Hey,

I'm new in this forum and it is really nice, I learned tons of things here!

OK, I'm planning to buy a high-end amp head, and I narrowed my choice to the ENGL Invader 150 or the Mesa Boogie Road King II.

I know those are two really nice amps, and they cost approximately the same price (I can have both for $2600 used).

I mainly play metal and hard rock, but I am looking for a versatile amp that have a nice clean and a nice little crunch. These amps are both pretty versatile, so I'm really confused...

Can you help me choosing? What are the main differences between these amps? I know it's really hard to say '' this one is better than this one'', but I'm looking for inputs that may help me to choose the best amp for me.

I would like to have a very heavy hi-gain sound, but, like I wrote before, I'm also looking for an amp that can do all kinds of musics.

What really amaze me about the Road King II is that it has 6L6 lamps and EL34 lamps. Can the Invader 150 offer as much as the Road King even if it only has EL34 lamps?

Thank you in advance.

PS: Sorry for my engish writing, this is not my primarly langage.
Last edited by sck90 at Aug 6, 2010,
road king is supposed to awesome. mexicanshred as one.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Both amps are supposed to be the versatile staple of both companies.
The Roadking can do all kinda of tones from jazzy cleans to blues twang to full on heavy stuff.

If you are not in the United States, and are in Europe, The RoadKing can be an expensive pony even used. If you're in Europe i'd go with the ENGL route since you could potentially find it cheaper than that
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Thank you for your advices, I appreciate it.

I live in Canada. The Road King II new is sold $3200, and the Invader is sold $3600.

I can have both used for around $2500-2600.

Any other comments on these amps?

Thanks!
I'd buy from the US then, cause $2600 for a used Road King is ridiculous.

For 2600, you could buy an Engl SE used from the US and have it shipped over to you. That'd be my choice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You think that a used Engl Special Edition, including shipping, could be found at $2600 in the US??? I'm not really sure about that, because I saw on Internet that they are sold at around $4000 in the US... Here, in Canada, the SE is sold $4400.

Other inputs and comments about the Invader 150 or the Mesa Road King II? I know the Engl SE is a true beast, but it is a little bit too priced for my budget.

Thanks!
Quote by sck90
You think that a used Engl Special Edition, including shipping, could be found at $2600 in the US???

Very sure. I've seen them as low as $2000
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd buy from the US then, cause $2600 for a used Road King is ridiculous.

I hate you Americans and your gear prices

But really, you'd be lucky to find a used Roadking for $4000 here.
Quote by sck90
You think that a used Engl Special Edition, including shipping, could be found at $2600 in the US??? I'm not really sure about that, because I saw on Internet that they are sold at around $4000 in the US... Here, in Canada, the SE is sold $4400.

Other inputs and comments about the Invader 150 or the Mesa Road King II? I know the Engl SE is a true beast, but it is a little bit too priced for my budget.

Thanks!

Someone is selling an ENGL SE for $2550 shipped on Rig-Talk right now
/rig
Go for the one you like best. Listen extensively to both of them.

They're both amps with a million tones in them, so hearing as much as possible from each is crucial to your choice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I play through an Invader and I can recommend it. It'll do just about anything. All of the clips except 1 in my profile are done with it. They're not great clips, but they'll give you an idea at least.

One thing is that I'd recommend the 100 over the 150. I myself haven't played the 150, but nearly everyone I've talked to says the 100 sounds better. Plus the bright switch on the 100 applies to all 4 channels rather than just the first 2.

I'm sure either of these will do anything you want, although I'd say the Mesa has a few more features, progressive linkage and whatnot.

Try them both if you can.
Quote by mespinos
Someone is selling an ENGL SE for $2550 shipped on Rig-Talk right now

Thanks! I just sent a message to the seller!

Quote by enselmis
One thing is that I'd recommend the 100 over the 150. I myself haven't played the 150, but nearly everyone I've talked to says the 100 sounds better. Plus the bright switch on the 100 applies to all 4 channels rather than just the first 2.

Thank you for this advice. I just saw on Engel's website that the bright switch only applies to the channels 1 and 2 on both of the Invaders (100 and 150)... that's weird:

http://www.engl-amps.com/index2.html

Is the sound difference between the 100 and the 150 major? Because the used Invader that interests me is a 150.
I'm not entirely sure how big the difference is, like I said, I've never played the 150.

I'm also not sure what the deal with the bright switches is, but I can say on mine sitting here beside me, the bright switch definitely applies to channel 3 and 4.
My dream amp is the Engl 150.
Currently my dream amp... That's within reason.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by enselmis
I'm not entirely sure how big the difference is, like I said, I've never played the 150.

I'm also not sure what the deal with the bright switches is, but I can say on mine sitting here beside me, the bright switch definitely applies to channel 3 and 4.

maybe late year models lack this function?