hi,
im new here and i need help with my gear.
i want to make my guitar sound like metallica, with distortion and acoustic.
just tell me if is possible.

my stuff:
guitar- cort EVL-K6
amp- randall rx75rg2
pedal- digitech rp355

txh for help
Put EMGs (81/81 or 81/85) set in the guitar if possible, scoop the EQ (8-10 for bass and treble, around 4-5 for mids) and find a model for a mesa mark IV or recto on the digitech pedal. Use your ears to find the sound closest to what you want, you'll be amazed at what they can do with some time.
I will talk about tech-death, all the time.
Also boost the reverb a bit for their earliy material
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
You're going to get a lot of "spend a few thousand dollars for their gear" responses. You can't get the same sound really otherwise, but you can get close enough to have some fun playing their stuff.

Here's some settings for a general thrash sound:

Amp (or something like this... been awhile since I played this type of stuff)
- Gain: 7-10
- Low: 6-8
- Mid: 2-5
- High: 6-8

Guitar
- Vol: 10
- Tone: 10

Never used that pedal, don't really know what the settings are. Anyway that's for the heavy bits.
Answers look good. For future reference there is a forum called "Guitar Gear and Accesories" for questions like this.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
OK
i posted the question and 10 min later a lot of answers
its a lot difficult doing this because i can connect the expression pedal to the computer and modify all the sound. so I will take all your propositions and try

thanks
Last edited by ranonymus at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by metalheadinjury
Put EMGs (81/81 or 81/85) set in the guitar if possible, scoop the EQ (8-10 for bass and treble, around 4-5 for mids) and find a model for a mesa mark IV or recto on the digitech pedal. Use your ears to find the sound closest to what you want, you'll be amazed at what they can do with some time.

mesa mark IV or recto???
Put EMGs (81/81 or 81/85)-how??

and btw im using the clean side in the amp because the digitech pedal. should i change??

sorry but im portuguese so i don't understand all the things that u say
Quote by ranonymus
mesa mark IV or recto???
Put EMGs (81/81 or 81/85)-how??

and btw im using the clean side in the amp because the digitech pedal. should i change??

sorry but im portuguese so i don't understand all the things that u say

http://www.emginc.com/products/category/1/1
^ That's what he's talking about. Those are 81's, you'll see 85's a little further down in the list.

I'm pretty sure that your guitar comes with an 81/85 set already though.

"mesa mark IV or recto"

These are amps. A lot of digital multi-effects pedals have models for them.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by ranonymus
so i dont nedd to spend my money in any of this things??

You shouldn't have to. Take a look at you're guitar. See what it has - I'm pretty sure it has 81/85s. You don't really have to have them though - they're just pretty good all around metal humbuckers. The amp models are probably already on your pedal, read the manual and see what it has - a lot of multi-effects pedals will even have a setting that is just for Metallica. I know when I used to use one years back it had a setting called "Sad But True".

Gear always helps but the number one thing is the player. If you want to get their sound the first thing you need to do is learn their music and style. I saw dysrhythmia last night and the guitarist was using a Fender Strat with stock single coil pickups and you wouldn't believe the sounds he was getting out of them. Just goes to show you what you can do without the perfect gear.