Okay well im about to buy a les paul standard cherry burst and i was wondering what should i upgrade my amp too? I have an Epiphone Studio 15R amp atm and i was leaning towards a marshall. I dont think i wanna spend over 200$ for an amp for practicing. If the amp was under 200$ that would be great . Anyways i want to get more of that slash tone. I was leaning towards geting an amp with a Master Volume Nob and a Presence Nob And any other gear that would help get closer to his sound would be great to know
Tubes? modeling? solid state? A GIBSON les paul? A les paul would be great.... with a great amp. with a bad amp it will sound bad. That being said if you could bump your range up to about $350 you should definitely go for a used blues jr. by fender.
Pm me if you've got some pedals to sell
Hmm a Blue Jr. Never heard what they sound like. I dont wanna spend that much on a practice amp. imma put up a picture of my current amp.
Fender Vibro Champ XD will get you Marshall tones w/ a real tube power amp for $200. It only has an 8" speaker but will easily drive an ext cab if you get one later. You could take a different direction and get a Vypyr 30, which only costs $200.
You don't need a cab, but you can watch your local craigslist. I see everything from 2x12 and 4x12 cabs popping up for $100 or less all the time. Oddly enough I never see a cheap 1x12.

The Vypyr 30 is a full up modeling amp with 12" speaker and an optional footswitch that acts as a floorboard controller. It's great for high gain (metal) and pretty good for cleans. IMO mid gain tones are grainy/fizzy. Even though the VCXD uses a modeling preamp it sounds like a tube amp and has some of the best digital modeling I've heard.
So for 200$ whats my best bet on a practice amp. i really dont knw anything about cabs. What to look for in them for 80's rock? Forsay effects ect
Are you getting a Gibson Les Paul? It really doesn't make sense to get such an expensive guitar and spend so little on an amp.

You're not going to get Slash's sound on a $200 budget, either. If you save up some more you could go for a Jet City Amps JCA20 or a Blackheart Handsome Devil.

You can also forget getting a good quality head and cab on a $200 budget, or on a sub-$500 budget, for that matter.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
how are you the king of les pauls if your using epiphones?!?!?! also "Nob" is actually spelled "Knob"
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by KingOfLesPauls
So for 200$ whats my best bet on a practice amp. i really dont knw anything about cabs. What to look for in them for 80's rock? Forsay effects ect
You don't need to know much. I see this all the time. Someone who is a relatively new guitar player wanting to know how he can sound like Slash, etc...

Forget about sounding like someone or some band. All modeling amps like the Vypyr have the capability of approximating nearly any bands sound. If you want to sound like some band with heavy layered FX you might have some problems. But sounding like a band or guitarist involves skill and being able to play their songs more than what $200 amp you buy. Or any amp for that matter.

Both the Vypyr and the Vibro Champ XD are capable of delivering anything from clean to high gain. The Vypyr definitely has the advantage with metal, but the VCXD is going to be simpler and IMO has much more pleasant (to the ears) low to upper mid gain tone. The Vypyr will give you more control over the FX, but the VCXD does give a reasonable amount of control over the FX it has.

As far as an external cab, just about any cab will open up the VCXD vs it's small 8" speaker. The VCXD is a good bedroom practice amp. The Vypyr may suit you better if you plan to jam with your buddies in the garage.
See if you can find one of the following used in your price range

-Peavey Valveking, or and old Peavey Transtube if you don't mind a solid state(not a fan of the vypyr, but everyone loves to hang on it's nuts)
-Marshall AVT2000(not 8100)
-Vox AC4
-Blackstart HT-5 Combo
-Jet City JCA20 Combo

some of them might be harder to find in your price range than others, but just keep looking around. make sure you get the "right" deal, and not the "right now" deal
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 6, 2010,
also Blackheart makes some decent low priced amps
or maybe a bugera v22 or epiphone valve jr.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
handbanana. the vox looks kinda small. i have some old speakers for tvs radios ect. so do u think i could hook the vox too it if i ever wanted to play it in a garage ect? i know its just a practice amp but i was jw
you could, but it will sound really really bad. I wouldn't suggest doing that. It could possibly even damage it, so actually, no
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Okay good 2 know ^^. i guess ill try to find that in a music store so i could try it out with my les paul.