What is the difference between an electric guitar and a bass guitar?
i heard that bass guitars can be electric too but they are different. How are they different. Are they in the same category despite being different? Whats the difference between an "electric guitar" and an "electric 'base' guitar"? Please explain, than you in advance.
Last edited by Razorback64 at Aug 7, 2010,
bass guitar has 4 strings : E A D G
they're tuned 1 octave lower than a guitar
the neck is longer
the pickups are different

it'll blow the shit out of your guitar amp if you plug it in there

however, they're still called bass guitars, they're complementary to guitars
and yeah, there are electric and acoustic basses, just like the guitar conterparts
It's like comparing a cello to a violin. They're the same type of thing sort of, but beyond design and how you play them, they're very different in sound, tuning, use, etc.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Quote by Darkflame
the neck is longer

and yeah, there are electric and acoustic basses, just like the guitar conterparts

it actually doesnt blow up your amp. IVe tried it.
Quote by Darkflame
the neck is longer

6 string basses are fairly common

a electric guitar

a electric bass

Nobody seems to have mentioned yet that the scale length on a bass is much longer than on a guitar, giving the strings much more tension.

Quote by ibanezgod1973
6 string basses are fairly common

Don't forget the 5 string basses.

Quote by 09phillt
and we all know which is better....

Yes, Neither.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by 09phillt
It will do eventually.

it only does if you turn the amp up too loud - because the speakers aren't normally designed to blast out frequencies that low - but at bedroom volumes it should be fine.

also it's not a matter of which is "better", they serve a different purpose in music.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
he be trollin
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Gargoyle2500

Don't forget the 5 string basses.

obviously, as the intent in my statement was to suggest you can go up to 6 string with a bass and perhaps beyond.....we`ve only just begun with 8 strings guitars but i`ve played a 18 stringer a couple of times (nylon acoustic) the amount of strings is theoretically limitless but practicality will always be the limiting factor.
hahahahaha just look it up on wikipedia...dont embarass urself
Fender Standard Strat MIM->Crybaby Wah->Digitech Bad Monkey->Expandora EXP-2000->Peavey Vypr 30/Peavey Classic 20

"The future is unwritten,"-Joe Strummer
Quote by 09phillt
and we all know which is better....

bouzouki?
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by andrewjp123
it actually doesnt blow up your amp. IVe tried it.

It won't blow up your amp, but it will damage and degrade your speakers over time.

The difference between and electric guitar and an electric bass guitar? How about that they're two different instruments that happen to be similarly constructed?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Darkflame
bass guitar has 4 strings : E A D G Or 5 tuned to B E A D G or 6 tuned to B E A D G C
the neck is longer

it'll blow the shit out of your guitar amp if you plug it in there pretty much true

That's pretty much it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There are two types of instruments: acoustic and electric.

There's electric guitars and electric basses. There is no such thing as a bass "guitar" unless you decide to count electric guitars with a 30" scale like the Fender Bass VI.

Basically, back in the 1940s and 50s jazz bands were gradually getting louder and having more electric instruments, and the acoustic basses at the time were rather quiet since you can't have them particularly loud before they start feeding back. Also, it was considered to be hard to transport and hard to play in tune (with proper intonation), so Leo Fender made what is essentially a smaller solid-bodied version with frets, so that it would be easy to transport, would not feed back (obviously this still happens at very loud volumes, but it's controllable) and would intonate precisely (the first electric bass was called the Precision).

That's about it really. The electric bass is more a continuation of an upright bass than anything although there are electric uprights but those are also pretty much just an electric bass at heart, but with the extended scale, radiused and fretless fingerboard and playing style of an upright.
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Darkflame
the neck is longer

Not if you're like me and own a Bassman
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
^Lucky person....
I so want one that's in a local shop, but it's like £3000 cos it's an original '59 or something, and in very good nick