So right now I have a peavey 6505+, ibanez tubescreamer, and a noise suppressor. I don't have the distortion too high, and I just use the tubescreamer to give it a little more warmth, but when I play it sometimes is hard to tell some notes apart because of all the distortion.

My question is what can I do to get a "cleaner" distortion tone? I'm not sure if a compression pedal would help me because I don't know exactly what they do as I haven't messed around with them. But that's just a guess .
What are the eq settings on the amp?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by Kyleisthename
Well it could be how clean you are when your playing. Or you could just have muddy pick ups

This, if you happen to be playing with something like Epiphone stock pups or something similar I can't imagine it sounding terribly good at all.

I always thought the 6505 had enough gain to kill small goats. I'd suggest playing around with the natural amp gain and the suppressor if necessary. If I'm thinking about your setup properly the screamer might be adding too much.
what pickups are you using? If your pups are too hot, the notes tend to garble together. Get some regular strength humbuckers
see how high you can get the amp distortion without the tubescreamer while remaining clean. it might be your pickups.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by salgala2000
fail. How about turning down gain. making your EQ around high-7/8, mids-9/10, bass 5/6. Or you could just turn the volume knob on your guitar down.

Fail as well. 9 mids is no better than 2.

Find the sweet spot. The 6505 is a fairly mid heavy amp to begin with. Just because scooped mids isn't good that doesn't mean cranked mids is good, its really no better.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by salgala2000
fail. How about turning down gain. making your EQ around high-7/8, mids-9/10, bass 5/6. Or you could just turn the volume knob on your guitar down.

+1. I used to play my DSL 100 at 5-7 volume with the gain turn all the way up. And I got tired of that quick and hate that sound. So I turned the gain way down, (never above 4 or 5), and turned the volume up and that made a world of difference.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by salgala2000

not necessarily a fail - depending on how the EQ controls interact to the gain on the amp, it may help "clean up" the distortion if you turn the mids down a little as there's a possibility it will separate the notes better because it reduces the amount of distortion within the fundamental frequencies - too much midrange in a distorted sound can be muddy and unclear because it causes the notes to slop together. Of course i'm not saying "turn the mids to 0", but turning them to 10 is just as much of a bad idea...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
well, the gate will help with unwanted "dirtiness" but ive honestly really been enjoying my EQ pedal. ive found you can definitely clean up your tone. cool thing is, say you have like 6+ sliders. EQ you have 3 knobs. so you can get teh same general sound but my tweak an extra slider or so you can tweak them how you want them.

i found 2 nights ago by tweaking my EQ pedal (which im using as a boost) i could get my notes clear as a bell whereas before using my OD pedal as a boost it just made everything fuzzier and nastier but just louder.

right now i have it set to a cocked wah sound boost. so my lead tone is cocked wah for solos