So, If you've ever watched Metalocalypse, you'd Know who Skwisgaar is.
I ****ING LOVE HIS GUITAR!
So, I wanna make one.
What I need to know is the year of it, so I can determine wood type.
This is the next guitar I'm making. Screw all my other thoughts, I have a Dethklok addiction, and I don't wanna end it 'cause I Love it so much!
BEST ADDICTION EVER!

K, so that's over.

My questions:
Year
Wood Type
I may be lacking a template, I have to check still.

Thanks. Expect this to be made by end of August. No wait, I mean started by then. Goddamn vacations. Stopping me from building guitars...
..I was watching my death.
this is what i can tell you based on my knowledge, the guitar just exists in the show, Brendon Small the berklee grad. creator of the show plays an extremely similar guitar that was custom made, the metalocalypse guitar was never mass produced before it was featured on metalocalypse, so no one can tell you year wood type etc, however i do believe there was supposed to be a brendon small metalocalypse signature explorer, i don't really know where that project is as i haven't really followed it since i first heard of the announcement, for specs look there first that will give you the most answers.

EDIT: searched youtube, he talks about the guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGICxPBvwxw
Last edited by dreamsofapollo at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Some woods are poisonous.

But you have to be extremely careful and wear a mask at all times to ensure you don't breathe any in. Or in the words of Paul Gilbert 'It'll get in your lungs and do horrible things to you '

All wood dust is poisonous. Korina just happens to be extremely poisonous.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Be warned if you're going to cut the body yourself; Korina wood shavings are poisonous.

Brutal.
K, we get it. Korina is poisonous more than other woods.
STOP THREADJACKING!

So, my browser crashed, right when I posted. I'm losing patience with UG!

So, Here's my ideal plan:
Mother Of Pearl Pickguard
EMG 89 in the Bridge
EMG 85 in the Neck
Coil-Split
GFS Tune-O-Matic Bridge
GFS Electronics
Grover Tuners
Korina Body
Neck-Through
2 Pieces Korina
Maple Neck

The reality:
GFS Power Rails in the Bridge
GFS Vintage Extra Hot in the Neck
Probably not Grovers, unless I find some cheap ones.
I would actually think Mahogany body and neck, ebony or Rosewood board, and 18 volt EMGs...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Hybrid guitar?
1 Half Mahogany, other Korina?
Like the riddler.

I think I'm going to practice making a neck before this guitar though. Have yet to make one.

This guitars going to be tuned to drop C btw, so 10-52 strings. I like that. Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms. Best strings ever.

My first question about the build:
How do you make the neck pocket angled?
I understand with a TOM bridge, you have to have it angled.
So, how do I do this?
Tuts would be nice. Thanks.
As for the Mother of Pearl pickguard, I think I remember Brendon Small saying that it's designed after his Explorer, which has a metallic mirror-finish pickguard.
Why GFS electronics? Don't all EMG's come with the necessary electronics? ie pots and jack and what not. Even if they didn't I wouldn't get my electronics from GFS. If you do get a switch or something make sures it's mechanical and not one of those cheap pcb kind, or the 3-way's in a box.
^ Nope, they don't come with it if you buy them in singles. But I did realize, GFS doesn't sell 25k pots.
I also most likely will not be geting EMGs right away. Price. Is lots.
When I bought my EMG 81 it came with a stereo jack, a tone pot, and a volume pot, plus a cap if I'm not mistaken.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Why do you want a pearloid pickguard (MOP as you said probably won't be possible) when the guitar you're obsessed with has an aluminium one?
Quote by timbit2006
Hybrid guitar?
1 Half Mahogany, other Korina?
Like the riddler.

I think I'm going to practice making a neck before this guitar though. Have yet to make one.

This guitars going to be tuned to drop C btw, so 10-52 strings. I like that. Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms. Best strings ever.

My first question about the build:
How do you make the neck pocket angled?
I understand with a TOM bridge, you have to have it angled.
So, how do I do this?
Tuts would be nice. Thanks.

You mean C Standard, right? One song (Duncan Hills Coffee) was done in dropped D, everything else is C Standard. 11-52 is nice for this, as is 12-54, depending on how you roll.

That's a brushed aluminum pick guard, not pearloid. You do know what pearloid looks like, right?

Do a Mahogany body, Korina neck. However, it seems to me he just took an Explorer he liked and modded the hell out of it:
Stock features:
Mahogany body
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fretboard.

Modded it with:
EMG 81 neck pickup
EMG 89 bridge pickup
Brushed aluminum pick guard
It appears he's put Sperzel locking tuners on it, but they may be stock.
Strings he said are either 56 or 54 on the bottom with 10 on the top, so he may have taken a 7-string set (10-54 or 10-56) and took the D string out of it. this is something I did for a while, but I'm playing 11-52 now in E Flat standard. If I go down to C standard you can bet I'll be using 12-56. I like heavy strings

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Shinozoku
You mean C Standard, right? One song (Duncan Hills Coffee) was done in dropped D, everything else is C Standard.

Do a Mahogany body, Korina neck. 11-52 is nice for this, as is 12-54, depending on how you roll.

yeah, C standard. I keep saying drop C for some reason.
Maybe cause your dropping the guitars tuning to C.

Wood depends on what's available.

EDIT: You edited your post!
So, it looked like pearloid in the video though.

Where do I get bruhed aluminum?
Last edited by timbit2006 at Aug 6, 2010,
Edited my post again :P

You can probably get sheets of aluminum at your local hardware store and find somebody to cut it for you. Just get a cheapo Explorer pick guard and use it to trace.

Things you could use as body wood:
African Mahogany (Khaya, a decent choice and it's what Gibson uses now that Honduras is endangered).
Honduras Mahogany (I'm using this for my RRV build. Hard to find now).
Sapele (a tad heavier than mahogany, and depending on who you ask it will sound either the same as mahogany; like mahogany with deeper lows; or like mahogany but with more highs. So it's basically mahogany, but MORE.)

For fretboard:
Might be Ebony, might be Rosewood. Indian or Brazilian will do, depending on what you can find. IF you can stand to cover up its beautiful grain, Cocobolo is a nice exotic wood that's somewhat affordable that's a bit like Brazilian Rosewood on steroids.

Save up for good hardware and electronics. Gotoh bridge and a Tonepros tailpiece are a good combo. Order form Allparts through Phil Timpson and get 25% off your order.

Stupid name.

Quote by timbit2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGICxPBvwxw
0:36, the pickguard looks like pearloid.

Hardly. It's aluminium, trust me. Good thing is- aluminium cuts very easily. Patience and a Dremel or something similar will get you there.

edit: The iridescent marks are just swirls from sanding or brushing. You can see hairline strokes between 0:45 and 0:50 (not marks from picking).
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Pikka Bird
Hardly. It's aluminium, trust me. Good thing is- aluminium cuts very easily. Patience and a Dremel or something similar will get you there.

edit: The iridescent marks are just swirls from sanding or brushing. You can see hairline strokes between 0:45 and 0:50 (not marks from picking).

Dangit, thats exactly what I was about to say.

Listen to ^^^that guy.
I never though of Allparts yet.
Skwisgaars guitar on the how actually ha a stop tailpiece, or whatever they're called. It's black.
But, Brendons guitar is the real thing, so I'll go by that.
I'm going to make a list of things I think are important here. The small details:
Black Speed Knobs
Brushed Metal Pickguard and truss rod cover
Black Knob, chrome ring on the pup selector
First tone pot is push-pull(Middle pot)
Chrome Bridge and Tuners
Bone Nut
Chrome input jack
Chrome Screws
MOP Fret dots 10mm
Rosewood fretboard
Chrome Strap holder

So that's some things I've noticed from pics, and youtube vids.
^Let's not forgot, EMG 89 bridge and 81 neck pickups Also very important. And Skwisgaar's guitars in the early eps had Chrome hardware. Check the modern specs for a Gibson Explorer for all the exact specs besides the ones he altered (pick guard and pickups/electronics basically). Then make improvements on the design (like a Tonepros Stop Tailpiece and Gotoh TOM bridge for maximum stability and sustain.

Stupid name.

At a NAMM a couple of years ago Epiphone presented a Dethklok signature Explorer. I don't think it ever went retail but you could look it up I guess. Was black with black speed knobs, rosewood fretboard, a big Metalocalypse logo inlay across the fretboard, EMGs, and an aluminum pg.
@Shinozoku
Will never forget that
Thanks for telling me about the discount.
Will talk to Phil about it(He's nuttinbuttrubl right?)

@Seref
I saw that one. I had too look at brendons guitar, 'cause at first, I thought that was his guitar haha.

For the fretboard, I'm probably gonna order it from Stew-mac 'caue I don't have a fret saw right now. And that's extra expenses I'd rather not have.
LMI also does fretboards, and they do them at the proper scale of 24.625" for Gibsons (some are 24.75" and the Explorer may be one of them. I know the LP is 24.625".)

And yeah, that's the one.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 7, 2010,
Change of plan:
I'm going to be following the Swisgaar Skwigelf Masterclass explorer.
In the video himself:
He says EMGs 81s and 85s.
Here's my plan to not spend 200 on pups:
Dragonfire pickups.
Heard of them?
I just found out about them yesterday.

I'm gonna re-watch the first episode, and see what his guitar looks like there, 'cause I watched it 5 days ago, can't remember his guitar.
And yes, I have watched all the episodes from start to end of season 2 in the last 5 days.
So, that is all.
Might just be doing the stop-tailpiece. That's whats on his guitar now.
Dragonfires are great, but keep in mind, if you want a nice replica, all you need to do is make it a long term project wherein you get nothing but the best

Stupid name.

If all you care about is the aesthetic recreation though, then you can just stick any old humbuckers in there and find a matte black plastic cover to put on them Look close enough to EMGs from far away
This will be a very high-end guitar, once the cash comes. But I'm pressed between getting a Peavey Valveking, and making this guitar an Ultimate-Guitar
I need to set up my band saw before doing anything fancy right now. It cuts crooked, and doesn't cut straight. Grandpas comeing to help me fix that. He i the best wood/metal worker I know.

I could put Passives in, and it'd still be a replica. In an earlier video, he teaches how to play Thunderhorse I think, all it had customized was the Brushed Metal guard and truss cover.
So, passives are an option, but I prefer the sound of EMGs in front of my Tube amp. Sexy tubes. Sexy Sexy Tubes.
Boob tubes... nah,I don't really like them. Prefer Flat-screens.(wtf, that makes little sense)

After I get my Valveking, and keep in mind, I am pretty low income...
Will get actual EMGs, and then, put the Dragonfire EMGs into my YamahaRGsomething- something. Or, could do hybrid in 2 of my guitars.
Dragonfire in the neck on my Wartribe(I love my bridge pup. Really high output. BC Rich pups are surprisingly good)
Dragonfire in the bridge on my Yamaha, 'cause the bridge pickup, is way to bright. Could be the pot though. The volume was broken since new on that guitar. Of course its my first electric, to I didn't know.
So, Ummm
Happy Birthday to me.

So...
Plans:
Dragonfire 81/85
With, 18V mod, and a DPDT Push/Pull pot OR with the 18V mod, Seymour Duncan makes those pickup rings, that have a switch build in them, which is meant for coil splitting, but I think the switch in there is just SPST, so that works for turning the 18V mod on and off.

Lets hope I get some extra money than planned for my Birthday. I just asked for money, and a Forstner bit set.
The thing is:
I'm going to the Oregon Coast on a holiday for a week, and stopping in Portland for a couple of hours. This'll give me time to go to musiciansfriend, and buy a shitload of pedals. I've planned it out to satisfy myself at about $230 of pedals comeing in.

The rest of my money, will be used on the Guitar. I got about 120 dollars, so All my parents are gonna give me is 100. But, I've invited lots of people, so lets hope for the best. For the best of the Dethklok Lovers, and the best of my GB&C Friends.
Congrats! Definitely put what you can towards the build

Stupid name.