I'm debating whether or not to invest in it since I really need to switch my presets mid-song with my talent show coming up. The looper would also help since I like to practice soloing a lot and it'd help to have one in the background. For now at least, is there anyway I could build something that could switch the presets by foot without paying that much? Would the price of the Sanpera I go down any bit?
One Mom and Pop place by me had a sale, buy a Vypyr get a free Sanpara I pedal not too long ago. I think one place on the internet had that same deal, but I forgot who. I wouldn't buy that if you gig. It hiccups a lot. For bedroom use only, it would be fine.
Even if I need to switch presets for the gig? I'm using a vypyr 75 watt that's been used live once and I'm gonna do Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2, meaning switching a bit.
Unless you're really good at wiring electronics and programming, the Sanpera I is the only thing that's going to let you change presets without navigating the libraries on the Vypyr.

Personally, I can't comment on the quality of the Sanpera since mine's still in the mail (I got the buy a Vypyr, get a Sanpera deal a few months ago and it still hasn't arrived), but it is the only thing (that I'm aware of) that can switch between Vypyr Presets.

As for the price, I don't think it's dropping any time soon. Check eBay if you're trying to find a good deal, but other than that, expect to be paying at least $80 for a new one.

And Flash Nightmare was talking about the Vypyr itself. Sometimes it likes to shut off for no apparent reason, but I've only ever had that problem once.
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?