So which of these pedals are the best? I've seen a lot of hate for the MT-2 here, slightly unjustified..But personally i'm looking for a pedal with a very rich, thick and tight distortion similar to that of a dual/triple rec (the switch on the hardwire between tight and loose, currently has me won over at the moment). But otherwise i play a lot of Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, (can never seem to get enough tight gain for Pantera), Soilwork, Anthrax, Machinehead etc.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Get the TL-2. It'll do every band you listed flawlessly.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
The TL2 is tighter. It reminds me a bit of the MT2, except you can dial out the fizz and buzzing. The metal muff is my personal favourite, as it has a relatively thick tone, but it's not as tight as the TL2.

I don't know whether playing them through the Vypyr is that good of an idea. I have not played these specific pedals through the Vypyr, but the amp in general doesn't get along well with dirt boxes. I imagine it'd hardly sound better than the Vypyr's built-in distortion.
Quote by TheQuailman
The TL2 is tighter. It reminds me a bit of the MT2, except you can dial out the fizz and buzzing. The metal muff is my personal favourite, as it has a relatively thick tone, but it's not as tight as the TL2.

I don't know whether playing them through the Vypyr is that good of an idea. I have not played these specific pedals through the Vypyr, but the amp in general doesn't get along well with dirt boxes. I imagine it'd hardly sound better than the Vypyr's built-in distortion.

Yup i knew someone was going to say that, but i forgot to mention that I'm getting a tube amp very soon, not sure which but nonetheless the vypyr is strictly for home/practise

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Quote by ChucklesMginty
The Barber Dirty Bomb is a great choice.

I know the TL-2 gets recommended here a lot, but from all the clips I've heard online it sounds really bad.

The online clips don't do it justice. It sounds way better in person.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by ChucklesMginty
The Barber Dirty Bomb is a great choice.

I know the TL-2 gets recommended here a lot, but from all the clips I've heard online it sounds really bad.

Yeah i found that to be the case too unfortunately, but you can't judge it too much from videos. I'd love to try it instore but none of the shops here stock it.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
the boss metalzone is overrated garbage.(i wouldn call the peavey vypyr the same but i'm not gonna get into that. The boss metal core is much better than the metalzone imo. I don't know much about the TL, but the Metal Muff is pretty cool though
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
I looked for a long time, and i settle on the metal muff. The active Eq controls alone are amazing, and the heart and soul imo is the mids control. If you listen and really try you can get many amazing sounds, I keep my treble about 10 oclock, mids at about 11 to 12 and bass around 1 olock. I dont like the top boost too much tho, a little too fizzy but altogether for the 80 bucks i spent it shits on any boss pedal. Dont know about the other one you mentioned, never tried it.
Quote by adj209
Yup i knew someone was going to say that, but i forgot to mention that I'm getting a tube amp very soon, not sure which but nonetheless the vypyr is strictly for home/practise

In that case, I'd recommend you get the amp first and choose a pedal later. That way, you can take a pedal that complements the amp, the other way around is much more difficult. Chances are you will like a boost or OD pedal better with your new amp, or you might not need a pedal at all. High gain tube amps have become available for relatively cheap in the last couple of years.
my biggest suggestion is that boss probably offers the worst set of distortions and overdrives than any other company. honestly i'd say their are a lot of companies that are a lot better than boss. Boss are just popular, they're like line 6 spiders. Sure, a lot of noobs use them, but you'll eventually grow out of them.

The only ones that ever impressed me in any way were the Metal Core, the OD-3, and the Blues Driver. Although some modded DS-1's are good.
Personally I like Ibanez, EHX, Maxon, and MXR a lot better, just to name a few
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
my biggest suggestion is that boss probably offers the worst set of distortions and overdrives than any other company. honestly i'd say their are a lot of companies that are a lot better than boss. Boss are just popular, they're like line 6 spiders. Sure, a lot of noobs use them, but you'll eventually grow out of them.

The only ones that ever impressed me in any way were the Metal Core, the OD-3, and the Blues Driver. Although some modded DS-1's are good.
Personally I like Ibanez, EHX, Maxon, and MXR a lot better, just to name a few

the spider of pedals? hardly.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 6, 2010,
I dont like the metal pedals or the mega distortion maybe they are classed as the spider of pedals but I actually quite like my sd1 and most of the light overdrives are pretty cool. Its cool to hate on them to some people but they do have some classics.
Quote by coolstoryangus
I dont like the metal pedals or the mega distortion maybe they are classed as the spider of pedals but I actually quite like my sd1 and most of the light overdrives are pretty cool. Its cool to hate on them to some people but they do have some classics.

I agree with both of you. The lower gain stuff they make is good for what it costs. Plus the housings are nice, which isn't a given on pedals that cost 50€ new. Their high-gain pedals sound like a vuvuzela-orgy though.
From personal experience with the Hardwire, I can tell you its awesome.

From personal experience with the Boss, I can tell you it sucks.

This is all imho of course, you have to try them for yourself.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Vypyrs take distortion pedals well, so whatever you buy will work fine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you need to buy a distortion pedal for your vypyr than I would just save yourself the time and get a new ap all together. Vypyr is entry level equipment, much like the bad monkey and the metal zone
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana

SD-1?
BD-2?
OD-3?

I'd take an 80s SD-1 over almost any other overdrive for an early metal boost.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
if you actually read what I said you would see the od-3 listed in it
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx