Page 1 of 2
Like the title says really. When I am playing with the volume cranked a bit it sounds fine, but every now and then my tone will take a shit, and the volume will decrease quite a bit.

It's not really a HUGGGEE problem right now, since my band doesn't have a show till mid-September.

But uh, I think I need a replacement.

Anything good for metal, and reliable.

I love Opeth, and is usually the sound I go for.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Here's the thing:
You shouldn't really put different types of tubes in than stock.
Trust me. Don't do it.
Tubes aren't like pickups. They dont work like that. You can just wap em out for different types.

And, You're sure it's not something else causing it?
I searched my house for hours to find tube money, then before I left for the tube store, I decided to give my lovely tubes another try.
In the end, I realized it was actually my EQ doing all the tonal loss, and volume jumps and loss.
I just turned the volume knob on my EQ, and that fixed it. Still needs a new pot, or some cleaner.
So, what I'm saying is check everything in the signal chain first. Plug directly into the amp.

What type of amp do you have?
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Here's the thing:
You shouldn't really put different types of tubes in than stock.
Trust me. Don't do it.
Tubes aren't like pickups. They dont work like that. You can just wap em out for different types.

And, You're sure it's not something else causing it?
I searched my house for hours to find tube money, then before I left for the tube store, I decided to give my lovely tubes another try.
In the end, I realized it was actually my EQ doing all the tonal loss, and volume jumps and loss.
I just turned the volume knob on my EQ, and that fixed it. Still needs a new pot, or some cleaner.
So, what I'm saying is check everything in the signal chain first. Plug directly into the amp.

What type of amp do you have?

Carvin x100b.

I only notice the loss when I am playing with my Metalzone pedal on. Anything other time I never hear it happen.

And can't the amp be biased for different tubes?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Carvin x100b.

I only notice the loss when I am playing with my Metalzone pedal on. Anything other time I never hear it happen.

And can't the amp be biased for different tubes?

With money, I suppose.

The problem may be with your metalzone.
Maybe 'cause it's a MetalZone.

I gotta take a shower now, so I'll look up the schematic for that, and figure out what tube it needs. If anyone comes along while I'm doing whatever I do, and figure it out for you, all the better.
Volume drops sounds like a symptom of dying power tubes.

And you can change different tubes out for different brands, and you can change preamp tubes out for different types (i.e. 12AX7 -> 12AT7 or whatever) but you cannot change power tube types (6L6 -> EL34) without rebiasing.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

Not in my situation.
He said when he turns on the Metalzone volume drops.
Take the Metalzone out of the chain, plug straight into the amp, and play for like 20 mins, untill volume drops happen.
That'll say it' the tubes, or just the amp. Most likely tubes.
Quote by timbit2006
With money, I suppose.

The problem may be with your metalzone.
Maybe 'cause it's a MetalZone.

I gotta take a shower now, so I'll look up the schematic for that, and figure out what tube it needs. If anyone comes along while I'm doing whatever I do, and figure it out for you, all the better.

Send meh muneyz to buy an OD den D:

And you can change different tubes out for different brands, and you can change preamp tubes out for different types (i.e. 12AX7 -> 12AT7 or whatever) but you cannot change power tube types (6L6 -> EL34) without rebiasing.

I will see if I can take a peek at what is in my amp right now, probably el34s
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by timbit2006
Not in my situation.
He said when he turns on the Metalzone volume drops.
Take the Metalzone out of the chain, plug straight into the amp, and play for like 20 mins, untill volume drops happen.
That'll say it' the tubes, or just the amp. Most likely tubes.

I will give it shot, but I have to wait cause I'm visiting my grandparents and they only let me play when they are at work..

lol
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
just retube the whole x100b with jj's
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
just retube the whole x100b with jj's

It's what I want to do, or at least, have been told would be teh best thing to do.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
won't be that expensive, will probably cost somewhere in the $85-120 range depending on where you get it. I would suggest ordering it from eurotubes.com, and make sure your power tubes are a matched set
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
won't be that expensive, will probably cost somewhere in the $85-120 range depending on where you get it. I would suggest ordering it from eurotubes.com, and make sure your power tubes are a matched set

Yeah, eurotubes.com looks like a solid site.

5 mins, I'm checking what kind of t00bz I got
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie

bet you 100 dollars he suggests jj's.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
get 12ax7s and 6l6's(or whatever power tubes it uses now, i'm just assuming their 6l6's but it might be el34s, not sure). keep in mind that it will needed to be biased by a professional to change the power tubes most likely.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by AcousticMirror
bet you 100 dollars he suggests jj's.

it's almost not even funny anymore
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
It might be able to take both 6L6 and EL34. I don't remember exactly but a few Carvins can. You just have to flip the switch and bias it correctly.
I have a huge fear if rays.
a bias switch doens't mean it takes both at the same time, it just means you can adjust the bias to make it easier to use either one or the other

EDIT:Im about 99% sure it comes stock with 6l6's. so yeah theoretically he could use either one, but would still need a bias either way.

read up about the differences in 6l6's and el34's and decide which one fits you better.

if you want something similar to like a 5150 or 6505 type gain, go with the 6l6. if you want more of a roaring, marshall type gain, go with the el34's.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 6, 2010,
The previous owner got a matched set of Groove Tubes I believe.

Four el34's, and Three 12AX7a's
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
the it would probably be easier just to get el34's. get those cheap groove tubes out of there
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
the it would probably be easier just to get el34's. get those cheap groove tubes out of there

I would enjoy some 6l6's though, how much would it cost to have a pro bias my amp?

Or is it possible to do it myself? I hear there are dangers in doing it though, not just to the amp itself, but also to your body.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
would be better to just take it to a tech that knows what he's doing, usually costs between $35-75 for a standard bias depending on where you take it. I lot of places make you spend a minimum of $50 benchfee. smaller shops will usually be cheaper. You can probably save some money by installing the preamp tubes yourself. they just come in and out without needing adjustments. smaller
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
would be better to just take it to a tech that knows what he's doing, usually costs between $35-75 for a standard bias depending on where you take it. I lot of places make you spend a minimum of $50 benchfee. smaller shops will usually be cheaper. You can probably save some money by installing the preamp tubes yourself. they just come in and out without needing adjustments. smaller

Are 12ax7a's good preamp tubes or can I do better?

Is it possible to change to 6l6's by myself, or too risky for someone with no knowledge of this stuff? I mean, I can learn, but I'd rather not risk it if it is too risky..haha..

So I might just stick with el34's
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Stick with 12AX7s in the preamp. Pretty much any modern production stuff other than Sovtek is decent. If you want, you could get an NOS 5751 for V1. For power amp tubes, just stick to EL34s, SED makes the best modern production ones IMO. That's what your amp and it's OT are designed for. Changing to 6L6s isn't worth the extra effort or money of having a tech do it for you for questionable results.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
you don't need anything other than 12ax7's, they are pretty standard and one of the most commonly used preamp tube today. I probably wouldn't ever have a need to use anything other than 12ax7

i would get it done professionally whether your switching to 6l6's or getting el34s.
you could try to do it yourself but it's not easy, and you would need to buy a multimeter and a bias probe. eurotubes sells both of them and have some instruction videos i think.

EDIT:^Whats wrong with sovtkeks? I love the 12ax7lps. tubes are good for darker stuff
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by Guitarbaddie

I prefer Tubedepot, but whatever floats your boat.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
also the tubestore usually has good prices
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by mmolteratx
Stick with 12AX7s in the preamp. Pretty much any modern production stuff other than Sovtek is decent. If you want, you could get an NOS 5751 for V1. For power amp tubes, just stick to EL34s, SED makes the best modern production ones IMO. That's what your amp and it's OT are designed for. Changing to 6L6s isn't worth the extra effort or money of having a tech do it for you for questionable results.

I will look into those. It seems like I should avoid Sovtek?

Kay, changing the preamp tubes is easy, how about power amp tubes, how easy is this?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
If you stick to the same type, it's the same thing. Just drop them in.

EDIT: About Sovteks, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149

Colin sums up my feelings about pretty much all of their tubes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx
If you stick to the same type, it's the same thing. Just drop them in.

EDIT: About Sovteks, https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149

Colin sums up my feelings about pretty much all of their tubes.

Alright thanks.

Tubedepot, 12ax7a, el34, better brand than Groove Tubes, just drop em in.

No problems, good to go, happy penis?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
in the end jj's give you the best bang for your buck, and i think just about everyone here will agree with that.

if you wanna spend a little more money you could look at svetlanas
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
^^ I'd +1 the SED =C= EL34s. They're a bit more expensive than JJs or Tung Sols but they're the best new production EL34s on the market right now IMO.

I have two amps with them and they're killer.

I found JJs were too loose in the low end, pretty dark sounding tubes overall, actually.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yup. If you go all JJs it'll be under $60. More if you go for other stuff.

EDIT: ^That. I had a pair of =C= 6L6s that lasted me forever and sounded great. My friend's all use their power tubes including the EL34s in all of their amps. I just need them to come out with some damned EL84s so I can use some of their stuff again.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 6, 2010,
the groove tube 12ax7's are just rebranded ones, usually either sovteks or tung-sols if im not mistaken. i personally think GT"s are garbage

i found that the jj 12ax7s were actually very bright, but the 6l6's are a much much darker, and work well with high gain, the two of them together gives me a perfect balance on mid heavy tone
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
the groove tube 12ax7's are just rebranded ones, usually either sovteks or tung-sols if im not mistaken. i personally think GT"s are garbage

i found that the jj 12ax7s were actually very bright, but the 6l6's are a much much darker, and work well with high gain, the two of them together gives me a perfect balance on mid heavy tone

Apples and oranges here, fella.

You're talking about preamp tubes and I'm talking EL34s.

Although, while we're on the subject, JJ 12AX7s aren't terribly bright either, IMO.

Quote by handbanana

All the reviews I have read say that GT's are trash, but I did get my amp for only $300

I'll just go with jj's since they are a good bang for the buck and I think we agree that they are better than GT's?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yea, they're brighter than NOS but darker than most other tubes I've tried.

And I forgot to mention in my last post TS, if you want to spend a bit more, I'd spend it on a NOS 5751 for V1 over better power tubes if you don't play pretty loud.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

acoustic mirror agreed with me that the jj 12ax7's were real bright. i dunno, guess its just us.....
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
On tubedepot's site it says the el34's cost $27.95 for a matched pair.

Does this just mean that it costs like 30usd for two power tubes alone? Or is a matched pair all four? I'm assuming just the two...

If that's the case, then 4 new power tubes and 3 new preamp tubes = $85 which I am cool with.

Those are jj's btw
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Aug 6, 2010,
A matched pair is two. A matched quad is four.

That sounds about right for JJs.

SEDs are about $50 per pair.

Page 1 of 2