Page 1 of 2
Right, first of all im not some UFO enthusiast who 'befriends aliens and talks to them on a daily basis'. But i truly believe that space travel is more than possible and that its just a question of time until some1 comes up with an idea of how to get people from A to B space-wise... in one piece and good time! (ie not billions of years)

I like to think that I've finally come up with a possible solution : its quite simple, it MIGHT sound stupid but bare with me;
1) build a pillar on the equator thats about..lets say the diameter of the earth, out of recycled waste and sand
2) attach a space capsule at the end of the pole ( the end thats sticking out of earch )
3) release the capsule so that the spinning earth and the pole act as a catapult. ofcorse you have to aim at a particular planet...but thats basic stuff

Ok, this might sound a little extreme, but sometimes the craziest ideas bring about the best results. Wat do you think? otherwise wat would you suggest??
Love the haters.
You hav seen me before
A pillar whose height is the diameter of the Earth? We don't have enough material IN TOTAL on the Earth's crust to make a stable pillar like that.

But I suppose we could just dig up some lava from the insides of our planet. That sounds a lot more reasonable than what you are proposing.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
No it isn't. Your idea doesn't have carbon nanotubes.

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
To 'aim' it you'd have to mess with the earth axis unless this 'pillar' can be twisted - which means you could only ever launch a handful of 'ships' at a certain planet and then closing it again to re-open it with a different trajectory.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by saemsaem100blu
hmm... no my idea is slightly better
No, your idea is stupid.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

i thought of that, but linking earth to the moon, but wont work for obvious reasons
Join the Guitar Religion
Quote by saemsaem100blu
Yes, it's perfectly reasonable to build a pillar that's over 12 kilometres high, one that's stable and solid, so we can fling stuff into space.
Well, we made a step forward, they invented a plasma based engine, with it the trip to Mars takes "only" a month!
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Quote by Kanthras
No, your idea is stupid.

This.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Yes, it's perfectly reasonable to build a pillar that's over 12 kilometres high, one that's stable and solid, so we can fling stuff into space.

of course you wont be able to do it with that attitude!
Love the haters.
You hav seen me before
Quote by saemsaem100blu

3) release the capsule so that the spinning earth and the pole act as a catapult. ofcorse you have to aim at a particular planet...but thats basic stuff

Ok, this might sound a little extreme, but sometimes the craziest ideas bring about the best results. Wat do you think? otherwise wat would you suggest??

Why don't we just do that but instead use a capsule that uses fuel to reach the atmosphere. Almost like some kind of rocket, oh wait...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
"Where were you when they built a ladder to heaven..."

Did anyone else think of this when reading this thread?
My Gear:

Bass:
Peavey Grind NTB 6 (6 string)
Cort Action Bass (4 string)
Roland Cube 30 amp
Boss ODB3 Overdrive

Guitar:
Ibanez JS100
Peavey Vyper amp
Korg Toneworks AX3000G multieffects
Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q Wah
Big Muff
Quote by Worhan
Well, we made a step forward, they invented a plasma based engine, with it the trip to Mars takes "only" a month!

Doesn't that depend on how close we are to Mars?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
I think you need to revise some Newtonian mechanics TS.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
To put things into perspective:

The Earth's Diameter: 12,756.32 kilometres.
Tallest building on Earth: Burj Khalifa in Dubai with 828 metres, or 0.828 kilometres. That's five orders of magnitude smaller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras
To put things into perspective:

The Earth's Diameter: 12,756.32 kilometres.
Tallest building on Earth: Burj Khalifa in Dubai with 828 metres, or 0,828 kilometres. That's five orders of magnitude smaller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa

PILLAR not BUILDING... there is quite a difference!
Love the haters.
You hav seen me before
Quote by Victory2134

Doesn't that depend on how close we are to Mars?

Why would they launch at any other date then when we are the closest?
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
it'd be alot easier to convert our mass to energy and propel it to the speed of light. you could also aim your vessel that way too.

really though, legthy space travel won't really be possible until quantum mechanics are far better understood than they are today.
i find your idea exactly the same as the space elevator and has the same failure as the space elevator, we dont have the freaking material to make a rope/pillar how ever you wanna call it of that size

but it is interesting
Quote by saemsaem100blu
Exactly. Who needs a stable and solidly supported construction when you can just make something really tall? In fact, it'd be easier to just plant a 12 kilometre long stick in the ground, than to build something that won't come crashing down or snap in half at the slightest breeze.

God
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Why would they launch at any other date then when we are the closest?

You don't seem to remember that NASA crashed $400 million and then drove the other $400 mill off a cliff.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by saemsaem100blu

Yea, a building is more stable
EDIT: DAMN beaten to it
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
actually both ideas suck. Your idea of a giant pillar of garbage is stupid. First off, once you are catapulted to the next planet how do you land?? A massive crash landing its how I see it happening. Second, how do you get from one planet to another? Build these huge "garbage pillars" all over the solar system?? I am gonna use my number one most despised saying here, because you well deserve it... EPIC FAIL!!

Next the idea of a "space elevator is equally as stupid. So what is the point of having a large rock or asteroid as a counter weight, or even an even longer lenght of cable?? SO once it reaches this point where does it go??? Oh, it is just flung off into space. OK, so whats the point of the elevator then, we might as well go with the original posters idea of a garbage pillar catapult. A space station as a counter weight... that almost makes sense, except once the payload gets to the space station where doe it go??? on a rocket ship??? why not just skip both these stupid ideas, and either learn more about worm holes or wait for hundreds of years for technology to advance to where we can travel at light speed. That would be a better bet then just fling stuff off willy nilly into space.
Quote by saemsaem100blu

A pillar IS a building.

Also, I hope you're not suggesting we just plant an elongated stick in the ground. Do you any idea how strong the winds are at high altitudes?
Quote by jsspang
Next the idea of a "space elevator is equally as stupid. So what is the point of having a large rock or asteroid as a counter weight, or even an even longer lenght of cable??
To get a payload out of the clutches of Earth's gravitational field.
SO once it reaches this point where does it go??? Oh, it is just flung off into space.
Yes, it is flung off into space. Right now we need massive rockets to do that. If an elevator can do the same job without burning tons and tons of fuel.
OK, so whats the point of the elevator then, we might as well go with the original posters idea of a garbage pillar catapult.
No, because said pillar would collapse before it could be completed
A space station as a counter weight... that almost makes sense, except once the payload gets to the space station where doe it go??? on a rocket ship???
It could stay at the station (supplies and such), or be sent off into outer space.
why not just skip both these stupid ideas, and either learn more about worm holes or wait for hundreds of years for technology to advance to where we can travel at light speed. That would be a better bet then just fling stuff off willy nilly into space.
Flinging stuff into space at low cost is something scientists can only dream of. Worm holes aren't gonna solve that either. And you don't seem to realize that this is technology advancing. Stuff doesn't advance if you just wait around.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Last edited by Kanthras at Aug 6, 2010,
But willy nilly is FUN
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
This thread is so filled with fail that it could almost make a new meme... I think I'm gonna bring this space slingshot up everywhere.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Damn, I hope I graduate on time to be able to participate in TS' awesome PILLAR project.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Kanthras
Quote by saemsaem100blu

No, your idea is stupid.
No his idea is monumental.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well obviously space travel IS possible its just a matter of time till someone discovers either how to break the speed of light, or create a singularity in time space that allows us to make a shortcut thru the galaxy (wormhole). But then again, gravity and gravitational pull affect time, so if we were to travel through space theoretically, wouldn't we be reaching our destinations at different points in that planets history? Repeatedly arriving at the target planet far advanced into the future than we were before? Idk.... ask that asian dude on the history channel.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
While the idea of building a pillar that long is unrealistic, let us examine what it would accomplish.

The equator is about 40,000km long. This makes the Earth's diameter 12,732km and its radius 6366km. The earth rotates around once in 24h, meaning the speed of a stationary object on its surface is 1667km/h. This makes the angular velocity of the earth .2618km/h.

This means that the speed of a spacecraft released by a pillar 12,732km above ground would be 5000km/h. We have reached speeds of 240,000km/h back in the 70s.

Simply said, this would be 2% as fast at the fastest spacecraft thirty years ago
Quote by MakinLattes
TS, I support your space slingshot idea.

you need an ally.

great! we can be the first to crash-land together

but no seriously, okay the plan's abit rough around the edges, but thats what scientists are for
Love the haters.
You hav seen me before
Quote by Grothard
While the idea of building a pillar that long is unrealistic, let us examine what it would accomplish.

The equator is about 40,000km long. This makes the Earth's diameter 12,732km and its radius 6366km. The earth rotates around once in 24h, meaning the speed of a stationary object on its surface is 1667km/h. This makes the angular velocity of the earth .2618km/h.

This means that the speed of a spacecraft released by a pillar 12,732km above ground would be 5000km/h. We have reached speeds of 240,000km/h back in the 70s.

Simply said, this would be 2% as fast at the fastest spacecraft thirty years ago

And that concludes the thread.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Page 1 of 2