Page 1 of 4
Couldn't find a better place for this:

I thought it'd be fun to complie a list of the most annoying and incorrectly played songs that you hear when shopping or working in a music store.

I'd like to start with a short collection:

A7X - Unholy Confessions
As I Lay Dying - 94 Hours
NoFX - linoleum (and how do you even mess that up?? )
Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
AND anything by Blink-182

What do you think??

Last edited by HalfDose at Aug 6, 2010,
Unholy Confessions is the only one of those songs i've ever heard being played in a guitar store...
Also, inb4 Smoke on the Water
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
seek and destroy, i hear the same kid ****ing it up everytime i go into one store, i`m not talking about hitting the right notes either, plus im not a big fan of metallica
Usually I don't care, I only get annoyed if they suck but they keep turning up the volume.

Hell even if they're good, if their volume is too high and I can't hear myself without matching the other guys volume, he's being a douche.

Also mindless powerchords a la blink 182 is terribly annoying now that I think about it.
yeah and the kid who sits there sweeping for an hour on a highend guitar though a spider amp......one day the next kid i see doing this he`ll get the guitar wrapped round his head and the amp shoved up his arse.

sweeping is boring to the listener and when they do it through that amp
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
yeah and the kid who sits there sweeping for an hour on a highend guitar though a spider amp......one day the next kid i see doing this he`ll get the guitar wrapped round his head and the amp shoved up his arse.

It's always the spider.

Last time I was there guy moved from the spiders to the mesas and back to the spiders. I go over to the mesas and every single one has mids 0
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Hmmm. It annoys me when there's this one kid trying to impress everyone in the store by shredding. Then he messes up and tries again... and again... And to make it worse, he's doing it on the one guitar that you came to try..... Once, I walked into a store downtown, and there was this kid playing a flying v. I went to the acoustic section after hearing him shred the same exact tune over 5 times. I came back to see if I could get a turn on the amp, which I was looking to buy... he was still there. MAN! I honestly am NOT a big fan of shredding. Who cares if you can play five notes really fast? Can you come up with a creative lick? If you can come up with something creative WHILE shredding, you've won my ears over
Here's what I typically play:

Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue
I Will Survive - Cake
Love You Madly - Cake
Mahna Mahna - Cake
Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
Booze, Broads, Beelzebub - Chrome Division
Loud Love - Soundgarden
Spoonman - Soundgarden
Possum Kingdom - Toadies
Backslider - Toadies
Gerudo Valley Theme
Paul's Bass interlude from the live version of Godzilla

That's the bulk of it
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Usually what I hear is a bunch of shredding...and the occasional kid playing random notes just ****ing around.

^^Dude the gerudo valley theme song??? Thats ****ing epic
Last edited by Shauntheawesome at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by Shauntheawesome
Usually what I hear is a bunch of shredding...and the occasional kid playing random notes just ****ing around.

^^Dude the gerudo valley theme song??? Thats ****ing epic

Always. I love flamenco style guitar. I actually incorporate a good bit of that into my own stuff

It gets teh womenz all wet
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Last edited by LoudLove5150 at Aug 6, 2010,
The only thing that is annoying is when some guy is trying to put on a mini-concert as he ''tests'' a guitar or amp. I don't know why some people feel it is necessary to max the amp out and inflict their wankery on everyone else, but it's about as obnoxious as you can get. At least the kids butching Sweet Child O' Mine on the MGs usually keep it to respectable practise volumes.

Also, if you are actually trying to test gear out, you should be playing something fairly straightforward and reptitive that you can easily play over and over again without thinking about it. Powerchords and basic pentatonic wanking are perfect. If you're thinking about what you're playing, you're not thinking about whether the amp/guitar/pedal/whatever is any good.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The only thing that is annoying is when some guy is trying to put on a mini-concert as he ''tests'' a guitar or amp. I don't know why some people feel it is necessary to max the amp out and inflict their wankery on everyone else, but it's about as obnoxious as you can get. At least the kids butching Sweet Child O' Mine on the MGs usually keep it to respectable practise volumes.

Also, if you are actually trying to test gear out, you should be playing something fairly straightforward and reptitive that you can easily play over and over again without thinking about it. Powerchords and basic pentatonic wanking are perfect. If you're thinking about what you're playing, you're not thinking about whether the amp/guitar/pedal/whatever is any good.

Pretty much.
People that have to plan what to play to look cool in a guitar shop are not chill. They should be concentrating on the variety of sounds and playability not what other people in the store think
THAT SCREAMS POSER
Whenever I try out a amp, it's always tonsa people staring at me and I just don't know what to play...
I usually test the muddiness of chords, try and take that muddiness out, try single note runs, a couple fast pulloffs, cuz I can pull off twice the speed I can hammer on. Thinness on upper frets, lack in fullness. And there's the problem of the amp. When there's a mesa boogie, I say, WOW! I wanna finally play a mesa boogie (because sadly I havn't tried an amp over $1000 for high gain, I've tried a fender deluxe reverb and that was NICE) Afraid to try other amps because likely everyone in the store looks at the young kid trying out the mesa boogie seeing how bad he'll **** up.

The ONLY time I've been to GC there was a guy who just took a Jackson or some shit with EMG's and just tried to shred the **** out of the guitar, played Br00TLz rhythm then stopped, and did that for about an hour, it makes other people pissed off.

When I try out an amp I try and be as person about it as possible, it's my sound and I want no one to hear how bad it sounds.

EDIT: Stairway is only acceptable when you have a light TS boost going into a nice creamy tube amp with a gibson doubleneck SG.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
I just play a power chords for like 45 minutes.

I test out a single note and play it three times, then I change the amp settings, play same note three times, then I change pickup, play three times.....

then I play stairway to heaven.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
The one and only time I've ever really let rip in a store was after I was done testing an Orange halfstack with my lil' Epi LP, using my standard "test mix" of AC/DC riffs, Bon Jovi solos and a little pop-rock open chording. One of the staff there sneered once I was done, picked up some Ibanez and started shredding away (very sloppily, I might add) on the amp, turned up just a little louder than he needed to be, in an obvious "ha, look what I can do, suck this noob" way. So I ask one of the other guys to plug me into a Marshall 401 that's sat there and gave 'em a solid blast of the second Dry Country solo.

Since then, the first guy avoids me whenever I go in and I've never heard him playing anything plugged into an amp in that shop either.

God I hate guitar store staff. Smug cockends with barely a brain cell between them.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Anything by Blink-182. Maybe I'm just biased, but there's this duo of an overweight guitarist who smells bad and a singer with an annoying voice who use the local Guitar Center as a practice space, and they drive everyone else mad pumping out song after song into a cranked Spider with a cheap guitar.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by MrFlibble

Yeah, This is annoying. I think the first time I ever went into a GC there was some guy shredding before I went in the store until closing time, I can't recall how long it was but it was at least two hours. All guitar stores should have specific rules to follow, Anyone who's dicking around playing the same stuff for too long probably isn't there to buy and I'd imagine its causing other people to avoid stores that are known to have such people, I know I want to avoid Guitar Center now!
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by MrFlibble
One of the staff there sneered once I was done, picked up some Ibanez and started shredding away (very sloppily, I might add) on the amp, turned up just a little louder than he needed to be, in an obvious "ha, look what I can do, suck this noob" way. So I ask one of the other guys to plug me into a Marshall 401 that's sat there and gave 'em a solid blast of the second Dry Country solo.

Since then, the first guy avoids me whenever I go in and I've never heard him playing anything plugged into an amp in that shop either.

God I hate guitar store staff. Smug cockends with barely a brain cell between them.

I've never witnessed an in-store rock off. I'm so proud of you! lolz
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
One thing that's less of a forbidden lick and more of a rule; Turn your amp to 0 before you turn it on. I can't tell you how much I hate it when someone next to me plugs into an amp, turns it on without looking, and blows everyone's head off. Habitually I turn the master and preamp to 0 and set it as needed, and the sales guy I was with commended me for doing so. You shouldn't get praise for doing something that should be common sense.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
The store I frequent is weird about this, since on one side of the room there's a twelve year old blasting SCOM through a microcube, and then on the other side is one of the staff playing Mingus on a fifty year old consignment guitar.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
It's really terrible when you're actually there to buy something and you can't communicate with the salesman over the noise level. I remember one time I was buying a drumset and the salesman kept having to say, "WHAT? WHAT?" because we couldn't hear each other over some idiot smashing away at a $5k DW drumset in the room. Happens with guitar stuff too but not quite as much.

I'm always really self conscious when I'm playing in a music store and tend to keep the volume as low as possible.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
I don't care what they play as long as i can still hear my playing. If its too loud i get pissed.
Quote by ibanezgod1973

tasteful sweeping is nice though...

Selkies sweeps
i hate the kids that go in, play some metalcore - mushy ass sounding powerchords, and look at you with some cheeky ass grin as if they are a guitar god or something.

Playing improv blues/ coming up with basic powerchord structures is the easiest way not to piss anyone off IMO.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by Arterial

Selkies sweeps

there`s nothing nice about 60 minutes of sweeping ,tasteful or not , it`s like being locked in a birdcage with a overly vocal budgie "chirp, chirp, chrip...............", maybe 3 or 4 sweeps and thats enough,then play something melodic.

whenever i go into pmt there`s inevitably some kid holding a beat on a drum kit.... i try and jam along to that for a couple of minutes
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by Arterial

Selkies sweeps

tbf i think the original complaint was about the kids who go on spider amps insane channel and sloppily sweep for 60 minutes with the gain on 10 to cover up all slop :P
I was in a shop trying out an Epi Dot for my friend, whilst for myself checking out the Laney Lionheart it was plugged into, all the time there was some kid playing sloppy metalcore turned up really loud on an MG next to me. What made it worse was he had a crowd of friends who thought he was a God and were egging him on. We bought the Dot and left.
I'd quite like to hear somebody play Unholy Confessions in a store. If I go in, I'll usually play bands that I like but more than likely some newer stuff or less well liked stuff (it's usually my favourite anyway).
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Anything played at ludicrous volumes.

I was at Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago and there was a kid with a cranked MG that just kept playing the intro to "Lollipop" for over an hour, that was annoying.

Also at Guitar Center, I was one of about three customers in the store, we kind of spontaneously burst into a blues jam from different parts of the store, it was really cool...Then five members of a -core band come in, and proceed to have a full-band rehearsal. Using fully-cranked Spiders, of course.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
This is why now when i go there I play my own thrash riffs or I play lesser known songs. I dont go there much tho only for strings and cables and stuff.
Quote by Ippon
This is why you should call in advance, specify the guitar(s) and amp(s) you want to audition, and reserve one of the sound booths.

I have only ever known one shop in this entire country that has sound proof booths you can reserve for testing gear, and even then it's very limited - they're not entirely sound-proof and here's only one room for Marshalls, one for Fenders, one for Mesas and one for Oranges.
Amazed no one has said stairway yet..... That get's annoying, then again I got asked to leave because I played the first three notes of it.

I also hate it when people play master of puppets and they act like it's the hardest song in the world. It really isn't.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Amazed no one has said stairway yet..... That get's annoying, then again I got asked to leave because I played the first three notes of it.

I also hate it when people play master of puppets and they act like it's the hardest song in the world. It really isn't.

read the OP
Quote by MrFlibble
I have only ever known one shop in this entire country that has sound proof booths you can reserve for testing gear, and even then it's very limited - they're not entirely sound-proof and here's only one room for Marshalls, one for Fenders, one for Mesas and one for Oranges.

Which shop is that? The only one I can think of is Andertons.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I once witnessed 3 kids playing the riff part of the Halo Theme. Together. So I started playing the actual intro, then they stopped.

Good thing since that's all I know haha.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Page 1 of 4