HEy bros, new guitar today. Still somewhat new to the guitar world soooo i just need to know if the guitars bolt on neck is supposed to be really high and risen near the pickups. I will attach a picture.
Attachments:
DSCF0003.JPG
Some guitars are built that way.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
im no expert but i dont think its supposed to look like that its supposed to be flush
i think your missing some screws that hold the neck in or something
Lol that definitely is not right at all.

I'd be surprised if that thing is even tunable, nevermind playable. The stability would be all over the place and the intonation could hardly ever be right. Not to mention the strange slanted action and perhaps a load of fret buzz/strings hitting off the risen part of the neck.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Very shallow neck pocket. What guitar is it?
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
Well, I have seen many bolt-on necks, and I highly doubt that it should look like that. That's because when you play up the neck, as the neck begins to slant, that makes the action lower in that part of the neck, if that makes any sense..... So, you may end up fretting out or getting fret buzz. I would take it back to the store and get a full refund. Or, if you can't, and you want to keep the guitar, get it fixed. It could be costly, who knows . Sorry man, but it just doesn't look normal. But hey, try playing it and see how it works. Reply to me and tell me how it goes. good luck!
actually thats fine. as long as the neck is seated in the neck pocket all the way there's no harm done there (if you've taken the neck off before you should probably double check this just to be sure). not all fretboards are flush. actually a lot of bolt on guitars have fingerboard overhang like that. won't hurt anything! doesn't always look great, but it's not damage or anything.

check out strats and teles when you're at a store next. you'll see the same thing.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
It's not the overhang we're all commenting about, it's the massively obvious diagonal angle the neck is sitting at which is not healthy at all.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Aug 6, 2010,
It looks bad, a better picture would help though. IT could just be flash and bad exterior lighting.
Quote by siverstorm
It looks bad, a better picture would help though. IT could just be flash and bad exterior lighting.

Look closely. The end of the neck matches the height of the bit of the pickup we can see. Doesn't matter what angle you take that photo at, the neck is ****ed.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
it could be that the pocket has been shimmed to bring the action down, i agree the angle is excessive though
Quote by La Qotsa
Look closely. The end of the neck matches the height of the bit of the pickup we can see. Doesn't matter what angle you take that photo at, the neck is ****ed.

Oh shit, yea I see it now, crap that's even worse than I thought XD the reflection threw me off.
like i said, if you've removed the neck then take it back out and try putting it in again. press it down from the top, not trying to slide it in from the back. make sure it's seated before you put the screws in
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I'm no expert but I've been looking at necks on Warmoth and this is supposed to be ok unless you get the 720 mod which makes the neck flush to the body.

And my GRG170 is the same way. So I wouldnt worry.

EDIT: Nvm, I didnt see the bottom because of the reflection on the body. That's not ok. Take it to a tech.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Last edited by haceteunosmates at Aug 6, 2010,
This common with inexpensive bolt on neck guitars. While you didn't show the bridge it's probably a TOM I'd guess and the neck pocket was done like this to give enough height for the bridge most likely. I once saw an Ibanez (lower end model) where the neck was so low in the pocket that the TOM bridge was resting on the top of the guitar, couldn't be lowered anymore and the action was still too high!
Moving on.....
like said, many times.. the neck does not look properly seated in the neck pocket.

bring the guitar back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
CRAP!!! I decided to not purchase insurance on this guitar!!! I knew i should have. I cant send it back either i dont think. Its an older bc rich guitar. I can add more pictures if anyone needs any. sorry for the flash. YEa i put some strings on it and it seems to be fine. I cant find any fret buzz anywhere. and the neck looks striaght to me.... idk guys this is really making me nervous.
Give me a full body shot, if it is a T-O-M style bridge, it could possibly be neck angle.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
whole guitar. and a shot from the side.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
it's normal, it's just the neck angle to keep the strings the same height across the neck
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Yep Fine. With a flat topped body you need more of a neck angle to have the strings clear the pickups and make adjustment room for the Combo TOM/Stop bar
Moving on.....