PROG/DEATH/METAL/WILL KICK YOUR ASS!

http://www.myspace.com/sinisterhaven

My band SINISTER HAVEN has started to write material for our first EP, which should be released within a few months, but for now, we have uploaded some tasty samples for you to listen to \m/

Backing Track 1 is our first full length song, and we just need our vocalist to record his parts for it.

Backing Track 2 is a groovy riff idea for our next song, listen to it to hear the power of our next song!

And Backing Track 3 is a rough ole idea from last year, it probably won't be used but its something to listen to lol

Check these out, and you will hear just a mild taster of how good our EP will be

Now for some spam

Follow my band on Twitter - http://twitter.com/SinisterHaven

And add my band on myspace - http://www.myspace.com/sinisterhaven

If you add and follow my band I would be grateful!
Quote by muckypup
PROG/DEATH/METAL/WILL KICK YOUR ASS!

Check these out, and you will hear just a mild taster of how good our EP will be

Consider yourself lucky I don't feel like re-typing the entire rant I had originally wrote before I had a computer freeze on me.
To be to the point. The quoted statements make you sound like an arrogaant chode, then after a listen to the music, you seem MORE like an arrogant chode.
Your band is NOWHERE near the Prog/Death genres you label it as. In fact, it's closer to "radio hard rock" bands like Disturbed or Korn. The few sad attempts at "progginess" are found in the first song, such as the random clean part about 2 minutes it which was pointless, forced, and sounded out of tune and out of place entirely. Also, the bass intros in the first and third tracks are pathetic, as for the intros in their entirety to both respective songs. While the guitar tones are good, the riffs are mostly generic verse/chorus structures, completely void of and resemblance of prog/death metal. As a matter of fact, I would call your band "hard rock", not even metal. The bass tones are lacking throughout all 3 tracks, and this is made evident in the bass intros and bass/drums parts in the third song. Speaking of the third song, it was supposedly supposed to show your "power", but honestly sounded like radio rock garbage. Verse, chorus, chorus, chorus, and NO LEADS? That song was barely listenable, at least some lead parts in it would spice it up somewhat.
The recording quality is good, and there are no timing problems. Also, once again, the guitar tones aren't bad. However, you a) seem like a total douche because of your post and (b) have completely misbranded yourself musically. You sound nothing like the genres you posted above. Just because you tune down and use distortion does not make you instantly prog or death metal.

Misbranding and arrogance aside, and considering you as the radio hard rock band you ACTUALLY are, the band isn't terrible, but my ass was not "kicked" in the least, and instead of thinking "how good your EP will be", I thought of how mediocre and a joke your band is, thinking you're a prog/death metal band while playing something that sounds like radio friendly hard rock.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Aug 21, 2010,
the drums are way too quiet in the mix on backing track 1; you can barely hear them over the guitar. sounds more like thrash than prog/death. when i think "prog death" i think of bands like The Faceless. this reminded me more of The Haunted.

second song is cool but a little plodding. maybe throw in some faster guitar parts (sixteenth notes, etc) for some variety to spice it up. the cymbals sound really awkward in this one for some reason.

third song bored me. maybe vocals and lead guitar would help but the whole thing felt compositionally flat, like you never strayed too far from the tonic. metal should have MOVEMENT!

not bad, though it wasn't even close to prog/death, as has been said.
Quote by flame843
the drums are way too quiet in the mix on backing track 1; you can barely hear them over the guitar. sounds more like thrash than prog/death. when i think "prog death" i think of bands like The Faceless. this reminded me more of The Haunted.

second song is cool but a little plodding. maybe throw in some faster guitar parts (sixteenth notes, etc) for some variety to spice it up. the cymbals sound really awkward in this one for some reason.

third song bored me. maybe vocals and lead guitar would help but the whole thing felt compositionally flat, like you never strayed too far from the tonic. metal should have MOVEMENT!

not bad, though it wasn't even close to prog/death, as has been said.

Ignore the third song! I thought I had taken it down, Its not one of our songs, its just a old piece of shit I wrote nearly two years ago.

The second song is just a riff idea i had, and the first song is another song I wrote, that we used for this band, we are writing our actual death metal stuff now, anyway, thanks for the comments, any comments are good
Quote by sjones
Consider yourself lucky I don't feel like re-typing the entire rant I had originally wrote before I had a computer freeze on me.
To be to the point. The quoted statements make you sound like an arrogaant chode, then after a listen to the music, you seem MORE like an arrogant chode.
Your band is NOWHERE near the Prog/Death genres you label it as. In fact, it's closer to "radio hard rock" bands like Disturbed or Korn. The few sad attempts at "progginess" are found in the first song, such as the random clean part about 2 minutes it which was pointless, forced, and sounded out of tune and out of place entirely. Also, the bass intros in the first and third tracks are pathetic, as for the intros in their entirety to both respective songs. While the guitar tones are good, the riffs are mostly generic verse/chorus structures, completely void of and resemblance of prog/death metal. As a matter of fact, I would call your band "hard rock", not even metal. The bass tones are lacking throughout all 3 tracks, and this is made evident in the bass intros and bass/drums parts in the third song. Speaking of the third song, it was supposedly supposed to show your "power", but honestly sounded like radio rock garbage. Verse, chorus, chorus, chorus, and NO LEADS? That song was barely listenable, at least some lead parts in it would spice it up somewhat.
The recording quality is good, and there are no timing problems. Also, once again, the guitar tones aren't bad. However, you a) seem like a total douche because of your post and (b) have completely misbranded yourself musically. You sound nothing like the genres you posted above. Just because you tune down and use distortion does not make you instantly prog or death metal.

Misbranding and arrogance aside, and considering you as the radio hard rock band you ACTUALLY are, the band isn't terrible, but my ass was not "kicked" in the least, and instead of thinking "how good your EP will be", I thought of how mediocre and a joke your band is, thinking you're a prog/death metal band while playing something that sounds like radio friendly hard rock.

I don't consider myself lucky because I really couldn't care less if you wrote a rant or not, I ain't wasting my time reading them.

All I'm gonna say is, make something better, record it better, make it sound as good, you can't, and you won't, because you are a bitch, limp rants and saying other peoples stuff is shit doesn't make you the music maestro, when I hear some good stuff from you, I will actually listen to your opinions, PEACE
Quote by muckypup
I don't consider myself lucky because I really couldn't care less if you wrote a rant or not, I ain't wasting my time reading them.

All I'm gonna say is, make something better, record it better, make it sound as good, you can't, and you won't, because you are a bitch, limp rants and saying other peoples stuff is shit doesn't make you the music maestro, when I hear some good stuff from you, I will actually listen to your opinions, PEACE

First off, 2nd paragraph you wrote is pretty incoherent, but I've managed to make some sense out of it....I think. Furthermore, I can say an angsty post in return to what I said about your band is anticipated as I was pretty tough on you. However, I think you get the point that if you didn't come off as arrogant and boasting I probably would have taken it easier. The fact is you came on here saying how your "prog/death metal" band would "kick my ass" and how "good your EP was", and then fell under par on the grounds of (a) being a prog and/or death metal band and (b) living up to your boasts of how good it was. If someone comes off as arrogant as you did about what they post for crit, then it better live up to expectations.

Also, on to the the somewhat personal attacks you made. As far as "recording something", I'm actually in the process of getting another band together at the moment, and I anticipate recording a demo in the next couple of months. Whether you find it "better" or not is left to your own opinion (which making a comparison on musical lines would be pretty absurd considering while the project IS progressive and metal, it's by no means death metal, but then again I guess neither is your band, TBH.) However, that fact aside, I've been performing and recording in some facet (multiple genres and bands) since before you were even 10 years old (judging from your UG profile info). I've played hundreds of shows and recorded in setups varying from home DIY rigs to pro setups. However, I by no means am arrogant as you seem to be, and do not consider myself to be, as you say, "the musical maestro."
My musical background behind, I'm no overlord of music, but I do have quite a bit of experience, so maybe I'm not such a "bitch with my 'limp' rants".

To conclude this post, and actually make it have more relevance than just a rebuttle post to you, your band isn't bad by any means. Taking your age into consideration, it's most like some or most of your members first "real" band, and it's by no means bad. I'll be honest, I was probably out of line by saying your band was "mediocre and a joke", because I have heard much worse from much older bands. I would consider it as "mediocre" for the genre you tag yourself as, but in the correct context it's quite ok. I see you also have posted you thought you took the 3rd song down, good call, it was by far your worst. Had I known that before, I'd also have probably been more positive with you. I still stand my my words that you come off as arrogant, and trust me, I've met plenty of arrogant assholes in this biz, and unless the world can't live without you, 99 percent of them don't make it out of their back yard. As a young musician, I hope you take that advice moreso even than crits on your recordings. Humulity is a trait of professional musicians, no matter what they seem like in media interviews. As a fellow UGer, I'd love to see you or anyone else for that matter succeed in music. Back to the music, though; The first song is easily your best, which I discussed earlier. Second "idea" isn't bad either. I'd take a step back and examine some of the parts that I, and others, have critted on, and see if you can't use that to make your project better. I'd also, really consider recognizing yourself as more of an "Alternative Metal" band than "prog/death". I think it better describes you, IMO, if you stay the course on the musical direction you have now.

No hard feelings dude, keep at it
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Aug 22, 2010,