i was oiling/cleaning my strings today but when i took it to band practice, the guitar gave less gain than usual. im 100% certain its the guitar, since the other guitarist plugged his guitar into my amp and it sounded high gain while mine sounded really twangy and low gain. i cant do pinches on it. how do i fix this?
Quote by DarkDucky
i was oiling/cleaning my strings today but when i took it to band practice, the guitar gave less gain than usual. im 100% certain its the guitar, since the other guitarist plugged his guitar into my amp and it sounded high gain while mine sounded really twangy and low gain. i cant do pinches on it. how do i fix this?

There's more to guitar playing than pinch harmonics Just thought you might like to know.
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
lol uh was your volume knob on the guitar turned all the way up
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by LoudLove5150
There's more to guitar playing than pinch harmonics Just thought you might like to know.

lmao yeah i know i just used that as an example of how low gain it is cause you cant do pinches if theres low gain.

also, yes the volume was turned all the way up and no the pickups are passive - they are seymour duncan JBs.

i mightve gotten some lemon oil on the pickups when i was wiping off the guitar, could that be why'?
Was your bridge pickup selected?
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Sounds like you lowered your pickups. And if you can't get pinch harmonics ringing out any more, that's probably your technique/you not being used to the new strings. If your technique is spot-on then you would be able to get pinch harmonics ringing out clearly on an acoustic guitar, let alone a plugged-in electric guitar.

edit:

Quote by DarkDucky
lmao yeah i know i just used that as an example of how low gain it is cause you cant do pinches if theres low gain.
Utter BS. It's entirely your technique.

also, yes the volume was turned all the way up and no the pickups are passive - they are seymour duncan JBs.
You probably lowered the pickups then.

i mightve gotten some lemon oil on the pickups when i was wiping off the guitar, could that be why'?
You shouldn't be using so much lemon oil that any was able to splash or run off the fretboard - you're only supposed to use 2-3 drops for a whole fretboard. But yes, if you did get any liquid on the pickup or in the control cavity then in theory it could have done quite a bit of damage, especially if the pickups don't have metal covers. It's unlikey to be the cause in this case though, to do any real damage you would have had to be pouring water over everything and evidently you've not done that.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 6, 2010,