Hey everyone! I'm planning on getting an acoustic guitar in a few weeks. I've been looking at the Guitar Center website and I've found a few I like as far as looks and specs go. I gotta wait until I go back to school, which is near a store, to try them out. I know it's an extremely good idea to go in and try some out. Anyways, I kinda just wanted some opinions on the ones that I got my eye on. I've been playing an electric for about 10 months and I've been progressing pretty well. I'd like to get something that's a little above a beginner guitar but that won't kill my wallet, ya know. $300 is my pretty much my limit. So what do ya'll think of these:

Epiphone Dove Acoustic
Ibanez V200S Solid Top Acoustic
Fender CD 280S
Mitchell MD200S Solid-Top Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar
Takamine G Series G340
Takamine G340SC Solid Top Cutaway

Oh I'm welcome to any suggestions for others I should check out
ahh that lip licking icon is creepy. lol. I meant just a regular smiley face.
i wouldn't buy any of those. the takamines are probably the best made on the list, though. i'd consider the yamaha fg700s and fg730s, and if you can go up just a few bucks, or wait for a sale or coupon, i'd also suggest you try a seagull entourage s6. it may not look as purty as some of the ones you list, but it sounds better than most of them.

btw, if it were me, i'd get one of these
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/35958
but guitar center doesn't sell 'em, so you can't try one there. i'm lucky enough to live by a couple blueridge dealers, so i've played this puppy plenty of times, and it's among my favorite solid top guitars.
I probably wouldn't go for any of the guitar's you've listed, nini9012. Not trying to be judgmental, you understand - if one of those guitars works well for a given person, great. But none of them would be on my short list.

For roughly $200, new, I'd likely go for the Yamaha FG700s. And since there will be Labor Day sales in about 4 weeks, which might knock 15% off that price, we're talking $170, give or take a little. Might as well buy one new for that price, unless you find an insanely good deal on a used one in mint condition. Which isn't too uncommon, since many beginners buy an FG700s, use it for about 2 weeks, then decide they don't want to learn how to play the guitar anymore. The FG700s gets put in the bedroom closet for a couple of years, then it gets listed on craigslist.

Heck, it's not impossible to sometimes find a near mint FG730s for $200. And that's definitely something that would interest me, were I shopping for a guitar in your price range.

I'm also a huge fan of Seagull guitars. A new Seagull Entourage probably sells for a few bucks over $300, but again, expect Labor Day sales to bring that down a little. The Entourage isn't one of my favorite Seagull guitars, but it's a fine guitar for the price and well worth considering.

If, as is quite possible, you could find a Seagull S6 Original, or some other non-Entourage Seagull S6 model, on the used market, in good condition, for $250 or so, that'd be another way to go. Again, I just don't love the Entourage, but plenty of people do. And even so, I wouldn't hate owning an Entourage; it's just my least favorite Seagull model, is all.

Either of the Yamahas, or the Seagulls, are excellent guitars. Definitely a cut above the typical $69 house special starter guitar. They're not just "use it until you get good" guitars; they're instruments you can keep playing, happily, for many, many years to come.

The Yamaha FG700s and FG730s, and the various Seagull guitars, have all been written about in a zillion places online, including many mentions right here on UG. So you shouldn't have any difficulty reading up on them.
--
Michael
OK cool. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out those yahamas and seagulls. btw, michael you don't sound judgmental. You also brought up a good point about labor day sales...which I forgot all about.
Yes, I think you should really check out the Seagull S6. I've played it, and it is an AMAZING guitar for the price. It also lasts very long, and is reliable. The other guitars on your list I really like are the Fender and the Takamines. Those are two very good guitar makers. I have a Fender acoustic, and I enjoy it's playability, sound and reliability. Fender also tends to give you free cases with the guitar, which makes for a great deal . But I would stay away from Epiphone acoustics. Most are laminate, which means that the top doesn't vibrate as freely. Also, my experience with the Epiphone acoustics have not been good. They're not too reliable. However, if you are planning to just get a guitar that you want to learn on, and upgrade later, I don't see why Epiphone would be a bad choice. Just don't expect to be playing it 20 years later .Good luck, finding the right guitar can be tricky. Happy playing!
the seagull s6 - not the seagull entourage s6 - is above his price range at $397. maybe he can swing it depending on how deep the guitar center labor day coupon is, but maybe not. i'm a bit fan of the seagull original s6, but just saying.

most epiphone acoustics are NOT all laminate, no more than yamahas are. in fact, the epiphone dove does not have a laminate top.

and i can tell you why epiphone, dean, ibanez, fender and mitchell are bad guitars to learn on, although fender are the best on that list. beside the issues that can happen with less consistent building and lower quality hardware that can lead to issues like poor intonation, difficulty tuning, that make a lot of people stop playing, the reason they're bad to learn on is because you don't develop your ear toward better guitar sound.

there are guys who have played low quality guitars for decades, and they can't tell good sound from bad because the only guitar they've played - in some cases, guitarS - have poor sound quality, which is what they adjust to. they pop up on boards when they go into guitar stores, play quality instruments, and think that $200 guitars sound better. you'll find them on the boards, telling a newb that their all laminate ibanez is the best sounding guitar they've ever heard.

Quote by FenderMayer
Yes, I think you should really check out the Seagull S6. I've played it, and it is an AMAZING guitar for the price. It also lasts very long, and is reliable. The other guitars on your list I really like are the Fender and the Takamines. Those are two very good guitar makers. I have a Fender acoustic, and I enjoy it's playability, sound and reliability. Fender also tends to give you free cases with the guitar, which makes for a great deal . But I would stay away from Epiphone acoustics. Most are laminate, which means that the top doesn't vibrate as freely. Also, my experience with the Epiphone acoustics have not been good. They're not too reliable. However, if you are planning to just get a guitar that you want to learn on, and upgrade later, I don't see why Epiphone would be a bad choice. Just don't expect to be playing it 20 years later .Good luck, finding the right guitar can be tricky. Happy playing!