For the past few weeks I've been trying to learn low, exhales like Phil Bozeman from Whitechapel.
The biggest problem I'm having is getting it from the diaphragm/stomach and not my throat. I also sing in a Metalcore band so I doing it from the throat will really destroy my singing voice, and it hurts like hell afterwords.

Any tips?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
one of the things I find that helped me to get better at vocals (like Phil's) was to try put my ipod on, and go running. Learning how to do vocals when you are already winded and out of breath forces you to really learn breath control A LOT. Go for a run with an mp3 player and listen and scream along to the music. You'll find that afterwards, especially immediately afterward, you will have more control over your breath. Also try some throat coat stuff/warm honey tea stuff. Hope that helps
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
You're doing it completely wrong is it hurts. I'm still trying to learn myself. I recommend reading the growling thread. Also, why would you want to sound like the Whitechapel guy? He has a small range and little creativity, from what I've heard.
Quote by Echoplex
You're doing it completely wrong is it hurts. I'm still trying to learn myself. I recommend reading the growling thread. Also, why would you want to sound like the Whitechapel guy? He has a small range and little creativity, from what I've heard.

I can do highs no problems and low growls. But I want to learn how to exhale so I can mix them around with my own style.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
I can do highs no problems and low growls. But I want to learn how to exhale so I can mix them around with my own style.

Are you saying that you don't exhale? Inhaled screams are one of the worst things you can do for your voice, and they sound terrible.
Quote by Echoplex
Are you saying that you don't exhale? Inhaled screams are one of the worst things you can do for your voice, and they sound terrible.

No, I do exhale.
But I can't get those super low exhales without the weird growl tone. I just want a clean sounding low, exhale.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Oh, in that case, all you need to do is curl your tongue and have it touch or almost touch the roof of your mouth at the hard pallet while forming and O shape with your mouth, and the rest will come with simply practicing your lower range.
Quote by Echoplex
Oh, in that case, all you need to do is curl your tongue and have it touch or almost touch the roof of your mouth at the hard pallet while forming and O shape with your mouth, and the rest will come with simply practicing your lower range.

That's it?
I thought it was like a completely different way of exhaling and breathing.
>_<
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
"Exhaling" is part of the breathing process, specifically: breathing out. If you know how to do false-chord growls (not vocal-fry screams, that's a different technique) than you should be able to hit the lows you want as long as you practice and use proper mouth shapes. If you think your lows sound too distorted, try making sure that you don't keep saliva and phlegm in the back of your throat, as that contributes to vocal distortion. If you want more distortion, do the opposite.
Hmm, currently I have more of an Acacia Strain low going on, but I want them to sound more exhaling. I mean, I like how I have them right now a lot, because I can understand what I'm saying. I'm just getting a lot of feedback from this mic. I don't cup my mic at all which makes my lows seem a little higher than they should be though.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
You just need to practice breath control and allotting all of your breath to the growl so that it achieves it's maximum potential (lolcheesy). If you get the technique down, you won't need to cup the mic. Muhammed Suiçmez from Necrophagist can get very low growls while playing rhythm guitar.
I'll definitely try those in the future, and I'll let my friend Eric know.
He needs to work on his lows too.
But right now I'm happy with my Acacia Strain vocals.
Just need to get a new mic ^_^
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
I've developed my own style now, after just screaming along in my car. After a bit of a warm up now I get so pumped from my own sound I start thinking, why the **** am I not in a band? So now I'm looking for a suitable PA system to purchase with my tax-back cash hope you all can get to the same level of confidence lol.
Screaming/Growling sticky.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.