Hey guys, I'm new here and i was thinking of getting a new amp, just as an improvement from my old one. Anyone have ideas? If you need to know, I play thrash metal like Slayer, classic Metallica, Testament, and things like that.
Budget? Other gear?
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
My budget's around $250, and for gear: Epiphone Xplorer Beast with Humdinger pickups, bridge and neck, and a Behringer distortion pedal. I'm not exactly sure about the model of the pedal, however, as my friend gave it to me and he didn't know the model either.
Line 6 Spider IV 75 75W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp for 299$. Although above your budget it is worth the money for the style of music you play.
my advice, save up more money. what amp do you have now? and to be honest your not going to really find a good amp for 250$ unless you look used, which even then you'd be hard pressed to find one. im talking about tube amps of course. not really too keen on SS amps but again save up more money. hell, save about 200-250 more dollars and you could easily score a used peavey 6505 combo, which would serve your purpose very nicely.
i got a peavey valveking 112 for 200 last week in very good condition and i saw several more for under or at 250 that might be your best bet
$250 will get you a Vypyr 30 and the lower end Sampera floorboard. And it will handle those bands just fine. You can toss the Behringer pedal on CL for $15. It's not worth more than that.
Quote by bluestratplayer
i got a peavey valveking 112 for 200 last week in very good condition and i saw several more for under or at 250 that might be your best bet

ahhhh forgot about that! doesn't it need mods though?
depends my isnt and i love the tone though the speaker is broken in very well and i use a boss overdrive with volume at 3 o'clock and gain at 0 and have already done 3 gigs with it with no problems and the sound was great imo
Quote by Tadams06
Line 6 Spider IV 75 75W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp for 299$. Although above your budget it is worth the money for the style of music you play.

Just no
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by HeavyReverb
Just no

lol i was waiting for someone to rip on that

actually he should probably go with an mg its way more marshall than a jcm and beats the hell out of anything with tubes in it
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Aug 6, 2010,
Used JCA20 and an OD pedal will get you there.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Originally Posted by Tadams06
Quote: Just no

I second that. LINE 6 = BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get the valveking for sure
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Valvekings are great amps
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by HeavyReverb
Valvekings are great amps for their used price.

fixed.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Okay, thanks guys. I'll be sure to ask if any of these are in stock at the Guitar Center near me. Oh yeah and quick question: I heard the Marshall mgfx30 was pretty good too. Any opinions on that?
The MG is about as good as plugging into a trash can.

As a Valveking owner, you should only get one if you're willing to make some modifications to it (new speaker, tubes, equalizer pedal) to get the best sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the mods to the valveking imo are only needed depending on the tone your after. mine was perfect for my style with only a tube change but it wasnt awful before for my style. i dont understand why everyone says it needs mods if you get one. that being said if you are using very heavy gain all the time i can understand the need for mods especially the speaker. i just think it gives the wrong idea about the valveking to say it needs mods the only thing i would say is a 'must' for the valveking is a boost left on all the time in front and an eq which can be had for 50 bucks used..........
then later if you feel it is lacking the mods look easy and cheap to perform yourself especially the marshall mod which looks pretty badass
Stay away from the marshall mg series, horrible horrible amps
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx