Page 1 of 6
tyrogue
306 IQ
Hey harcore forum d00ds (and d00dettes ), hear me out on my problem.

As friends might do, I LOOOOVE to talk about music with mine. A lot of times my friends will be like "Oh hey have you heard of *band*, they are like a classic rock band and stuff." and then I'll go "Hey have you heard of *band*, they are a metalcore band." and then they'll go "C'mon not more of that Screamo crap".

TL;DR How do I explain to my buds the difference between Metalcore/Deathcore and Screamo, cause all they think is "Scream/Growl/Anything-not-clean = Screamo"?

Thanks in advance
If creationists made Pokemon:
"What the, Pikachu is...Congratulations, God decided your Pikachu is now a Raichu."

So what...I like Metal...sue me

"music elitists"
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Screamo is a derivative of post hardcore and emo, characterized by it's somewhat dissonant and inaccessible musical style that more closely resembles punk than hardcore or metal (in a lot of cases). The vocals are usually further back in the mix, so they become more like an added ambient texture (not all cases, but it happens a lot). Screamo doesn't have breakdowns.

That should be enough.

EDIT: I'm sure someone will come up with a better explanation though.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
kurtebirdi
731 IQ
I'm in the boat with your friends, it's not that we don't acknowledge the difference, it's the fact that we really just don't think that all the screaming is necessary or sounds good. Most hardcore genres are relatively similar, and screamo has one of the big characteristics in common, so people are going to associate all screaming music as screamo and deduce hardcore from screamo as if screamo is a broad term for screamo+hardcore
Tadams06
402 IQ
Wikipedia Whoohoo!

Metalcore - The vocalizing technique in metalcore is generally screamed vocals, particularly common among many 1990s metalcore groups. Today many metalcore bands combine screaming vocals with the usage of clean vocals usually during the bridge or chorus of a song.

Screamo - First-wave screamo uses typical rock instrumentation, but is notable for its brief compositions, chaotic execution, and screaming vocals. It has been described, by music journalist Jason Heller, as "graft[ing] spastic intensity to willfully experimental dissonance and dynamics,"indicating a kinship with noise rock. Later groups sometimes included synthesizers and other electronic sounds.
guitarsftw
UG's Boss
860 IQ
I really don't think that it's genre-confusion, I know lots of people label anything with screaming as "screamo", and do so in a negative way. The term really has dual meaning.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
saxaxe
UG Resident
3,106 IQ
OH MY GOD THE IGNORANCE IN THIS THREAD IS OVERWHELMING. Nash's post is the only one that's worth ANYTHING. Screamo is much more melodic and focuses more on dynamics and emotion than metalcore/deathcore and more than most metal. The vocals, although still screaming, are completely different. They're more frantic and chaotic, and also focus more on dynamcs and emotion. Screamo is a very distinct, individual genre with almost nothing in common with other extreme genres of music, aside from the fact that it's a derivative of punk.
BlitzkriegAir
Attack!
490 IQ
Quote by saxaxe
OH MY GOD THE IGNORANCE IN THIS THREAD IS OVERWHELMING. Nash's post is the only one that's worth ANYTHING. Screamo is much more melodic and focuses more on dynamics and emotion than metalcore/deathcore and more than most metal. The vocals, although still screaming, are completely different. They're more frantic and chaotic, and also focus more on dynamcs and emotion. Screamo is a very distinct, individual genre with almost nothing in common with other extreme genres of music, aside from the fact that it's a derivative of punk.

i never lol'd so hard in my life
JaxBOM
36 IQ
Quote by saxaxe

yeah screamo's more emotion packed than metalcore. hence the name screamo
You cannot FATHOM the Immensity of the fuck I do not give
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Wow, where'd all these Nickelback fans come from?
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
saxaxe
UG Resident
3,106 IQ
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
i never lol'd so hard in my life

Look. I get that you don't know what screamo is and I'm fine with it. Most people don't. Just don't go running your mouth about something you have no clue about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eM6B8VFBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gto_IYvlYLA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Yffdbg7Wg

Tell me with a straight face that these aren't focused on dynamics and emotion.
ciadude2
282 IQ
Most people just really don't care about the minor nuances between death/metal/whatevercore.

Honestly I don't like metalcore or screamo. Too much "baww" for my taste. To be fair, I don't like classic rock either.

I like some screaming. I hate others. I like some singing. I hate other peoples vocals. I can listen to almost any instrumental track and enjoy it but I'm picky about the vocals. That's what I don't really like about a lot of core genres as well as screamo. Some people dig that though. I'm not ripping on anyone here.

Everyone likes different things. If your friends don't like screaming... well then they aren't going to want to pay attention to the differences between most(if not all) metal genres.

My favorite guitarist is Alexi Laiho but I think his vocals are awful. Just my taste.

tl;dr If they don't like screaming they won't give a damn about screaming music. I'm the same way with rap, hip hop, and r&b. I can't tell the difference between them if asked and I honestly just don't give a damn. It's all "that rap crap" to me, but again some people like it so all the power to 'em.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
screamo shares a lot of similar elements as with metalcore

not your friends faults for not listening to that horrible music long enough to tell them apart

Name one distinct similar element. Go on.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
ciadude2
282 IQ
Quote by saxaxe
Look. I get that you don't know what screamo is and I'm fine with it. Most people don't. Just don't go running your mouth about something you have no clue about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_eM6B8VFBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gto_IYvlYLA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Yffdbg7Wg

Tell me with a straight face that these aren't focused on dynamics and emotion.

I can definitely see the classic punk/hardcore roots in there. Most people when they hear screamo think "oh god not that Bring Me The Hairspray shit again".
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
UG has been full of fail today.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
saxaxe
UG Resident
3,106 IQ
Quote by ciadude2
I can definitely see the classic punk/hardcore roots in there. Most people when they hear screamo think "oh god not that Bring Me The Hairspray shit again".

Exactly. And that's not. screamo. Screamo's become this insult and people know nothing about the actual genre.
guitarsftw
UG's Boss
860 IQ
Quote by saxaxe
Exactly. And that's not. screamo. Screamo's become this insult and people know nothing about the actual genre.

And most non-hardcore-rooted fans really don't care. The term works as a description whether it fits with the genre title or not.
Quote by AA00P
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Why are you even posting in here if you don't care?

And no you're wrong. Calling every band that uses a synth "synthpop" doesn't do anything to describe the band's sound. The same can be said about using "screamo".
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
ciadude2
282 IQ
Quote by nashawa

And no you're wrong. Calling every band that uses a synth "synthpop" doesn't do anything to describe the band's sound. The same can be said about using "screamo".

You're coming off as quite hostile. Perhaps you misinterpreted because I wasn't clear?

I said most people don't care. Most doesn't include me. I can tell you the difference between different genres like metalcore and hardcore. This isn't about me though, this is about OP's friends not knowing what screamo is and assuming all metal/hardcore rooted bands are screamo because the word scream is in the name.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
I wasn't talking about you I was talking about the person above me.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Cianyx
UG Nerd
1,216 IQ
Don't bother. Listening to different genres is like learning a different uni subject. You've got to be legitimately interested in the genre to be able to tell the difference. Best you can do is avoid talking about your music unless they show some real interest (not some passing comment stuff).
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Yeah, if this thread has proven anything, it's that folks is dumb.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
handbanana
Registered Duder
4,706 IQ
i feel like this topic comes up in the off-topic thread like once a month
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
guitarsftw
UG's Boss
860 IQ
Quote by nashawa

1. I never said I didn't care, I was just noting that most do not care, implying that TS's friends, who the thread is geared for, really aren't looking for enlightenment on labels and whatnot.

2. People often label something with any sort of screaming as screamo DEROGATORILY (is that a word?) and I ALWAYS know what they mean. They mean "ugh, annoying music with screams". I didn't need enlightenment on why they used the term, for most the word is a descriptive adjective instead of a genre-based noun. And being that, given the context, most people including myself can tell which version the user intended, the use of the word in its incorrect form still makes sense as a description.
It all just comes down to labels, and labels in the end are stupid, so why should we care if they are "correct" or not?
Quote by AA00P
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
I hate the "labels don't matter" people. Everyone compartmentalizes. It's human nature.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
guitarsftw
UG's Boss
860 IQ
Quote by nashawa
I hate the "labels don't matter" people. Everyone compartmentalizes. It's human nature.

True, everyone does, but that doesn't mean that every compartmentalization should be universal, especially concerning things that affect everyone differently, such as music.
Quote by AA00P
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Genres exist for a reason: to make it easier to help distinguish music.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
guitarsftw
UG's Boss
860 IQ
Quote by nashawa
Genres exist for a reason: to make it easier to help distinguish music.

I agree with you, but genres are merely guidelines blown way out of proportion for and by marketing.
Quote by AA00P
Cianyx
UG Nerd
1,216 IQ
Quote by guitarsftw
I agree with you, but genres are merely guidelines blown way out of proportion for and by marketing.

How?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
ginger5138
Has no soul...
177 IQ
There is no difference. Everything with screaming is exactly the same. (obvious troll?)
phoenix_crush
Former Registered User
1,130 IQ
Quote by ginger5138
There is no difference. Everything with screaming is exactly the same. (obvious troll?)

Yeah, obvious troll is obvious. Do you really have nothing better to do with your time than try to rile people up on the internet. I pity you.
ginger5138
Has no soul...
177 IQ
Naw, if I wanted to make people mad I wouldn't have pointed out my trolling, it was more like making fun of this kids friends cuz to me the differences between genres are blatantly obvious. =)
phoenix_crush
Former Registered User
1,130 IQ
Quote by ginger5138
Naw, if I wanted to make people mad I wouldn't have pointed out my trolling, it was more like making fun of this kids friends cuz to me the differences between genres are blatantly obvious. =)

Ah, alright then. Carry on.
Thebiz
UG Nubsakc lolz!!1!
3,917 IQ
99% of popular bands = metalcore.

/Reading Rainbow.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
JxD
957 IQ
In regards to the original post; to be fair I think you're friends are generally right about these genres. In my opinion screamo, deathcore, and metalcore are all the same thing. They all feature people playing instruments, I think I heard a guitar, probably a bass, and usually drums. I think they all have lyrics about various topics that the band thought were interesting or important enough to write about. I think a lot of them play shows and have myspace pages. Most of those bands all share vocals, in that vocal tracks are present in their recordings. You can usually buy their recordings from stores or places on the internet. I hope this helps.
asator
whatever
525 IQ
Oh God this thread makes me want to turn round and leave the Hardcore forum forever.

nash and saxaxe, I can just about see you smacking your heads off your desks
My name is Danny. Call me that.
+}-136-{+
Registered Text Offender
211 IQ
Quote by nashawa
Wow, where'd all these Nickelback fans come from?

Stay godlike Nash.

Quote by JxD
In regards to the original post; to be fair I think you're friends are generally right about these genres. In my opinion screamo, deathcore, and metalcore are all the same thing. They all feature people playing instruments, I think I heard a guitar, probably a bass, and usually drums. I think they all have lyrics about various topics that the band thought were interesting or important enough to write about. I think a lot of them play shows and have myspace pages. Most of those bands all share vocals, in that vocal tracks are present in their recordings. You can usually buy their recordings from stores or places on the internet. I hope this helps.

You too JxD.

Everyone else in this thread (regulars and myself excluded) can go sit on a cactus.

To OP, don't be a lazy/dumb cunt. learn how to use Google/Wikipedia and don't make retarded friends.
tyrogue
306 IQ
Damn, I didn't think I would start a flamewar, but ok
If creationists made Pokemon:
"What the, Pikachu is...Congratulations, God decided your Pikachu is now a Raichu."

So what...I like Metal...sue me

"music elitists"
JxD
957 IQ
Quote by tyrogue
Damn, I didn't think I would start a flamewar, but ok

Genre questions, namely pertaining to "metalcore" and "screamo" always result in issues. I have never seen an exception in the entire time that I've posted in this forum, often because I incite said wars by claiming that what most people describe as metalcore is, in fact, not metalcore, rather a recent manifestation of heavy metal with breakdowns, whereas real metalcore is a very specific 90's genre wherein heavy hardcore was given a metal slant because hardcore dudes were listening to Slayer too much.

Screamo is more of a genre cluster**** because it encompasses vastly different bands and is typified by characteristics that can range from lyrics to song-structure. For example, all these bands are considered screamo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NkUlzSVnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a65e2Z7g2C0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpS_1Mx78S8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgJjf1v6lJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwJj_L5utk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixsYBYyFMhk

But, when it comes down to it, this:

Quote by Nashawa
Screamo is a derivative of post hardcore and emo, characterized by it's somewhat dissonant and inaccessible musical style that more closely resembles punk than hardcore or metal (in a lot of cases). The vocals are usually further back in the mix, so they become more like an added ambient texture (not all cases, but it happens a lot). Screamo doesn't have breakdowns.

I think the best way to get a grasp on what screamo is would be to listen to examples, but if you're not into it, it can all sound the same.