So I might be buying a used SVT-4 Pro from GC tomorrow. I'll most likely make them open it up so I can take a peak inside and see how things look. The amp itself looks like it sat in someone's studio and never moved. Based on the serial number it's about 5 years old.

When they pop it open, how can I tell what kind of condition the tubes are in? If they need replaced or will need replaced soon I'd like to talk them down in the price. The SVT-4 Pro has a solid state power amp and tube pre amp. If the amp sounded great in the store, no tone issues from what I can tell, is it safe to assume the tubes are in pretty good condition?
Tubes aren't something that you look at and determine their condition. Playing the amp would be the only way to tell, short of testing the tubes in a dedicated tester - and even then, they're not tested under actual operating conditions, like in an amp.

Worn tubes may exhibit the following:

Volume dropout
Changing volume
Muddy tone
Popping noises

Edit: With a solid state amp, that certainly lowers the cost to repair. Chances are, it uses 12AX7 tubes in the preamp. You can buy them for about $12 each. The nice thing about preamp tubes, is they last almost forever. Chances are, they're still in excellent condition and would probably test as "new."
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Aug 6, 2010,
Don't worry about it, a preamp tube won't die for a very long time. My tube amp which is coming on 30 years old only had it's preamp tubes replaced for the first time this year, and that was only because I wanted to try some new tubes and tweak the sound.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Slight thread jack but would overdriving a tube amp or poweramp cause the tubes to deteriorate faster?
Also would it be worth getting a solid state amp with a tube preamp rather than a tube amp alone?
Quote by Spaz91
Slight thread jack but would overdriving a tube amp or poweramp cause the tubes to deteriorate faster?
Also would it be worth getting a solid state amp with a tube preamp rather than a tube amp alone?

Overdriving a tube preamp? Probably minimal. Those tubes are low output and should last quite awhile.

Overdriving a tube power amp? Yes. Making those tubes work harder makes them hotter and does wear them out faster.

Is it worth it getting a tube preamp with a SS power amp? Well, that all depends on what you're looking for. A lot of guys, myself included, feel like you lose all the tube warmth as soon as you feed the signal into a transistor output section. There are quite a few who snicker at the tube preamp/transistor output amps. The bottom line is that tubes, even power tubes, will last 2 to 4 years, give or take. That gives you plenty of time to save up for new ones. Buying a matched pair of most power tubes isn't all that expensive. Buying preamp tubes is cheap and they last for years.

That's my take on it.