Hi Im thinking painting a cool design on my pickguard without it scrapping off a year later. This happened to a friend, how do I do it properly?

If I can pull it off it will give me the oppertunity to undergo a successful point and laugh procedure directed at him to his dissapointment.

All advice will be muchly appreciated verily.
Do your painting design as usual, then cover it in clear gloss or some other sealant.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Spray your PG plastic with a Paint for Plastic Acrylic Lacquer Primer: Rustoleum, Krylon, etc. Spray a Colorcoat Acrylic lacquer on top if the Primer color isn't a suitable background. Use Acrylic Paint Pen to draw your design. Spray Acrylic Lacquer Clearcoat on top.

The Paint for Plastic Primer will form a molecular bond with the PG's plastic. The colorcoat, paint pen, and clearcoat will bond with the Primer, etc.

I have a PG done this way in 2006: no scrapes, scratches, peeling, etc.

I'd have to agree with everyone else,

I painted a guitar with that white paint they use on sports fields for the lines, but I covered it in about 20 million layers of clear coat, and it's just fine.

Just remember:

DO: LOT of LIGHT, EVEN COATS.

DO NOT: SPRAY IT ON HEAVY.

Spraying it on heavy will result in chipping over time, or worse. Take your time.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
I painted one of my Les Paul pickguards a while back, and its in great shape. What I always do when I paint plastic is use a adhesion Promoter, Like Bulldog brand. That makes the paint adhere to the plastic better.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
i just used LOTS AND LOTS OF LACQUER!!! lol really i put on like 10 coats. and not a scratch on it after 2 years.
My friend said he would give me some paint thats left over from him customizing his bass how many layers is like the minimum?
Another method you might think about is "back painting" a clear plex pickguard. Putting the painted design on the back of a clear pickguard protects the artwork from being scratched. No clear needed over the art.